IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS scam or legit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 07:57 PM
350stew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS scam or legit

I purchased a newer set of tires and rims with TPMS that was fully functioning from a second party .
The car however doesn't recognize the signal from the new set once mounted of course and shows the signal on the dash to indicate this.
So I have the dealer break the bead on all four rims and activate the new sensors .
Well 200 miles later the warning signal on the dash is back again.
Take it back into the dealer and they tell me the right rear sensor is faulty .
So they want another $90 parts plus labor probably $150-$175 out the door
They really have me over a barrel here and it seems fishy to me.
I have not given them my approval to go ahead yet as I wanted some feedback from the forum.
Am I just being too cheap & suspcious or does anybody else think somethings up.
Other than asking for the faulty sensor how do I hold them accountable

Last edited by 350stew; 12-07-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-07-09, 08:08 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

your not being cheap.. they charge out the ***.. lol ebay has four sensors for 100 dollars. then depending on your dealership you could get it programmed for free. get tire rack or something to install it for WAYY cheaper
Old 12-07-09, 08:26 PM
350stew
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reassurance and the suggestion on ebay.
Don't know why I didn't think of it I am usually the ebay hound =0)
Guess I am still trying to get my head around why this wasn't detected first time around?
Maybe I haven't searched enough.
Are these sensors known for a high failure rate?
Old 12-07-09, 09:00 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

the battery suppose to last 5 to 8 years depending on the weather but they do go bad from time to time especially if you hit a pothole and crack the sensor.
Old 12-07-09, 09:09 PM
350stew
Driver School Candidate

You may be on to something with the weather change as I brought the car up to the Pacific NorthWest from Vegas just this summer .
Are the batteries replaceable?
Old 12-07-09, 09:47 PM
350stew
Driver School Candidate

Anyone with more technical expertise than me know if this service kit could be a fix to the failed sensor?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TPMS-...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-07-09, 10:08 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 350stew
Anyone with more technical expertise than me know if this service kit could be a fix to the failed sensor?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TPMS-...Q5fAccessories
this is just a fitting kit. doesn't have to do with anything about the TMPS failing. TMPS could possibly get damaged if you wack it with the tire pry bars while trying to mount/dismount a tire. or like the above post a pot hole of some sort or just simply a bad one out of the big batch
Old 12-07-09, 11:36 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

You may be on to something with the weather change as I brought the car up to the Pacific NorthWest from Vegas just this summer .
Are the batteries replaceable?
Unfortunately the batteries are not replaceable. The sensor need to be change cause the batteries are built in the sensor.
Old 12-08-09, 04:13 AM
Edz71
Rookie

I purchased a newer set of tires and rims with TPMS that was fully functioning from a second party .
The car however doesn't recognize the signal from the new set once mounted of course and shows the signal on the dash to indicate this.
So I have the dealer break the bead on all four rims and activate the new sensors .
Well 200 miles later the warning signal on the dash is back again.
Take it back into the dealer and they tell me the right rear sensor is faulty .
So they want another $90 parts plus labor probably $150-$175 out the door
They really have me over a barrel here and it seems fishy to me.
I have not given them my approval to go ahead yet as I wanted some feedback from the forum.
Am I just being too cheap & suspcious or does anybody else think somethings up.
Other than asking for the faulty sensor how do I hold them accountable
You are not being cheap !! Money is always better in your wallet than someone else,......... I don't see how after they give you the okay that a wheel sensor gives out ? Yeah it is possible but I would have a hard time accepting it after spending money to get me rolling. If I were in your shoes I would go to a Toyota dealership and get them to take a look. You'll be surprized at how they seem to know more about our cars than Lexus does. My experience any way. Either way your going to have to spend some money to get it resolved just try to find the best service for the cost. As for accountability good luck they can always say "we don't know where and how you drive Sir" . That said just be up front and tell them you'll be taking you car somewhere else for service in the future, they might be more helpfull every penny goes towards a bottom line.

Good luck........... Edz
Old 12-08-09, 09:35 AM
jtc858
Rookie

So I dropped off my car for a 35K Service, Fuel Pipe Recall, and to replace my front pass sensor. The dealership is charging me $289.50 for parts and labor for replacing the sensor.

I thought that was pretty high so I called another dealership in San Diego and the Service Advisor said it will cost $120 to program the sensor and $113 for the sensor. So I decided to just leave it at the dealership and get it done since I'm sure it will cost the same.
Old 12-08-09, 12:00 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

My local America's Tire claims to be able to program TPMS for Lexus vehicles. They do it free of charge with a mounting/balancing.
Old 12-08-09, 12:12 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, any tire shop will do it for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper! don't get ripped off!
Old 12-08-09, 02:07 PM
jtc858
Rookie

Just got a call from the Service Advisor and he said the Tech's will not remove my tire since I have aftermarket rims.

I asked if they can just program the sensor and I can take it to a tire shop and get it installed but he said that they cant do that since it needs to be inside a tire for them to program the sensor?

But he did offer me to scan all 4 tires for $120 to make sure all the sensors are up and running.

Now I need to find a place that will program the sensor.
Old 12-08-09, 02:19 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I hope you didn't give them the go ahead to "scan" them for $120...
Old 12-08-09, 03:03 PM
jtc858
Rookie

Heck no! He was just trying to find a way to get more money. I just got off the phone with a very helpful Advisor from another dealership and actually told me some good useful information on what to do so I'll be taking it to Lexus of Carlsbad once I get the sensor installed by Discount Tires and just provide them the number thats on the sensor.

The other Advisor did not mention that to me, so it seemed like I was pretty much screwed.

I hate TPMS sensors and I think they are pretty useless. Whats the point on having them on anyways when you have to check all four tires once the light comes on. You would think it would at least tell you fronts or backs are low so you atleast have a 50/50 chance of guessing which one is low rather then a 25% chance.

Quick Reply: TPMS scam or legit