XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Coincidence?
Old 01-02-12, 09:13 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm. I have after market HID Fogs. All is fine for now. For the guys who had problems, did you have HID Fogs or HID headlights, or both?
Old 01-02-12, 09:53 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the answer right

"INTERNAL FILURE"
-POWER STEERING ECU ASSEMBLY
Old 01-02-12, 10:48 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Hmm. I have after market HID Fogs. All is fine for now. For the guys who had problems, did you have HID Fogs or HID headlights, or both?
I had aftermarket HID in my stock halogen headlights. They are from xenondepot. I had the issue where my P/S went out and it was the P/S ECU, but did not did what the OP says it did, which is violently change the steering direction. I was out of warranty so needless to say, it was not cheap to fix.
Old 01-03-12, 08:09 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

tedward88: What is your order number?

Steve
Old 07-06-12, 04:22 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by tedward88
I had aftermarket HID in my stock halogen headlights. They are from xenondepot. I had the issue where my P/S went out and it was the P/S ECU, but did not did what the OP says it did, which is violently change the steering direction. I was out of warranty so needless to say, it was not cheap to fix.

Same problem, same error code. My HID's are also from xenon depot. My power steering went out about a day ago...no violent shaking.

I've had my HID's for over 100k miles also.
Old 07-06-12, 05:09 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm. I have HID bulbs using stock ballast from xenon depot for 6 months. No issue thus far. Are u using their ballast or stock?
Old 07-09-12, 07:59 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

x2mkx: Under what name was your kit purchased? If your vehicle has over 100000 miles on it the failure could be completely unrelated to the HID kit. Our ballasts have EMI shielding so I don't see how they would interfere with anything to do with your power steering.
Steve
Old 10-11-13, 08:54 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This has nothing to do with heat. My kit is nowhere near any ecu or components. Last night pulling into my driveway the car loses power steering when turning left only.

- Happens with all aftermarket HID kits
- Doesnt have anything to do with heat

Previous poster hit the nail on the head, the ballasts are interfering with power steering commands/functions.

I dont really want to go back to those **** yellow oem lights...

Will relay harness fix this?

UPDATE:
Seems having a harness alone doesnt solve the issue. Some people experienced success using a warning canceller + relay harness:
HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker (1 Pair) : Amazon.com : Automotive HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker (1 Pair) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Last edited by MEAHT; 10-11-13 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-14-13, 03:48 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

FIXED!

Problem was my 3 year old battery. Just bought the car less than a year ago. Coincidentally there was a fart smell inside of my car and when standing next to it as well. Lifted the hood, lo and behold there was the battery squirtin and steaming something foul.

Symptoms:
Rotten egg smell
HID lights acting weird
power steering going out intermittently

Copped a much better battery to deal with the increased power needed for 4 hid lights.

Hope This helps.
MEAHT
Old 08-23-15, 06:31 AM
mlittleton
Driver School Candidate

I almost quit reading this post, because I thought it was a mistake. Who could imagine any connection between HID headlights and my power steering going out? But I did keep reading, and eventually I went downstairs to try turning off my headlights, which had been in the AUTO position, and started my car. Lo and behold, my power steering was working again. I just had my left H ID headlight replaced about two weeks ago, following an accident. I will take it to the dealership tomorrow and have them move the ballast elsewhere in my engine compartment.

This forum just saved me an enormous headache, because I am more than eight hours from home. Thank you!
Old 08-25-15, 05:20 AM
mlittleton
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer says replace steering rack for $2800

i continue to have the P/S error and power steering failure intermittently -- fails more than it works. Dealer says it can't communicate with power steering and I need to replace the steering rack for $2800, but I can't help but think it's a simpler fix. I had my HID headlamp assembly replaced three weeks ago following low-impact accident. I'm sure it's after market, but it was $600+.

By the way, I talked with a non-dealer Lexus service provider who said that only the dealer can replace the rack because it has to be programmed and calibrated. I just had my water pump replaced at the dealer, and it was much higher than it would have been elsewhere. I feel trapped.

Can anyone suggest what else I can try before replacing steering rack? If it works intermittently, can it be saved or is permanent damage done?
Old 11-24-15, 06:23 AM
jim7485
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mlittleton
i continue to have the P/S error and power steering failure intermittently -- fails more than it works. Dealer says it can't communicate with power steering and I need to replace the steering rack for $2800, but I can't help but think it's a simpler fix. I had my HID headlamp assembly replaced three weeks ago following low-impact accident. I'm sure it's after market, but it was $600+.

By the way, I talked with a non-dealer Lexus service provider who said that only the dealer can replace the rack because it has to be programmed and calibrated. I just had my water pump replaced at the dealer, and it was much higher than it would have been elsewhere. I feel trapped.

Can anyone suggest what else I can try before replacing steering rack? If it works intermittently, can it be saved or is permanent damage done?
Wondering what the end-result was here. Did you end up replacing the steering rack?
Old 03-29-16, 12:12 PM
LongSword
Driver School Candidate

I just went through this. Thanks to all who added to this thread. Picked up a PS ECU at the junk yard for $150, swapped it and my IS is back up and running. My HID ballast for my fog lights are no where near the power steering ECU. So idk if that was the cause, mightve just been its time to clock out.
Old 06-12-16, 07:07 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very helpful thread, no wondering after head light replacement my is250 has a slightly pull to the left, i forgot to tight one of the bolt from the right head light, when i was messing with my Grill i found out and tighten it up, the car now perfectly drive straight somehow, too much power = headache, oh ya i was looking for the P/S fluid reservoire all morning could not find it so does the Trans dip stick, now i know is250 don't have one.

Quick Reply: P/S Power Steering out?