IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do I need an alignment?

Old 11-28-09, 03:32 PM
Zmiley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me too.... when I turn, the steering wheel actually kind of clunks (when turning all the way to one side).... it grabs too when hitting un even surfaces... I just bought this car, it was safetied, the brake pads and rotors where serviced.....

Makes no sense. I don't want to spend money on an alignment if it will make no difference... Can any GURUS chime in to help noob out?
Old 11-29-09, 10:56 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't sound like an alignment issue if the pulling only happens when you're braking. It could be tramlining due to the type of tires on the vehicle. Is there also vibration when you brake?

The bump steer is normal with low profile tires on bumpy roads. However, it can be worsened if tires are overinflated. Make sure you have 35 psi up front and 37 psi out back (if I remember correctly). Bump steer also happens when suspension components are going bad, so it would be worth it to have the techs take a look under the car the next time you're in for service.
Old 11-29-09, 10:59 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmiley
me too.... when I turn, the steering wheel actually kind of clunks (when turning all the way to one side).... it grabs too when hitting un even surfaces... I just bought this car, it was safetied, the brake pads and rotors where serviced.....

Makes no sense. I don't want to spend money on an alignment if it will make no difference... Can any GURUS chime in to help noob out?
The next time you turn your wheel all the way to the left or right, get out and take a look at the tires for uneven wear. If it's not there, then you're just experiencing normal characteristics of the car under sharp low speed turning. Mine feels like it wants to "slide" when I have the wheel turned all the way and I'm pulling away from a stop slowly, but that's the only time that happens.
Old 12-04-09, 12:52 PM
mdk77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a brand new IS 250 last year and it was fine until I just recently got a tire replaced. Since then my car has pulled to the right. I put some air in the front passanger side tire and it helped a little. The dealership is looking at it but they say it may be "road crown" - whatever the hell that is.
Old 11-27-10, 10:46 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion78
I don't think it is the brake pads that is causing the problem for me. I just had them changed because of brake dust and I had this problem before the change. And the steering only moves when braking on uneven surfaces.

So I am starting to think it's these low profile high performance tires. They are great with handling but so far, the bridgestones have sucked when it comes to noise and handling on rough roads.

I am thinking of switching from High Performance Tires to Grand Touring tires such as the one here.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ta+LX+Platinum

Any thoughts if this would cut down on the bump steer and noise?
Is this problem on AWD only?
because my RWD car does not show this problem, but all my FWD cars show this symtom. Something to do with torque steer when on uneven surfaces.
Old 11-27-10, 02:03 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a IS 350 and my car pulls to the right just like the OP mentioned. I have bridgstones and I' am currently purchasing a set of Hankooks. I will also get an alignment, and I think my suspension is fine but I will have them take a look at that for me.

Every time i go on a certain road my car pulls to the left, and when I turn my car all the way to the left/right and go to accelerate it feels like my car is skipping.
Old 11-27-10, 02:24 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to replace both my front tires on my is250 rwd. I got a flat when a nail punctured the sidewall. The reason i had to replace both is because different tire types will make the car pull to one side. Tire life is also a problem. If one side is new and the other is old, it will pull, regardless if its the same tire model.
AWD vehicles are more delicate than FWD, RWD. On some subarus (AWD standard), you must replace all 4 tires at once. I think its so you dont ruin the differentials and transmission.
Old 11-28-10, 10:54 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2007 IS250 RWD....I have the same issues with the pulling especially when braking. I have pinpointed it down to the tramlining in the road. Now the question is what tires on the front tramline the least. I have the dumb Bridgestone ER33....tires are awesome handling but the tramlining is a big issue.