IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

how fast is IS350 really?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 01:06 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

making more deal out of my simple question of how fast the IS350 is....

not that i don't get what they are saying, i do understand, but with all the people freaking out here, i am simply speechless. it's not like they didn't do it before, it is just simply because they have grown out of it. they are more mature now, they have kids, wife and more things to worry about. it is very understandable as Father, Wife, they do worry about the safety of their kids. but still there is really no need to freak out here.

i can't help but to think, this feel like watching those dramas, where parents just completely freak out on their kids, over things their kids just "talked" about.
Old 09-19-09, 02:05 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ if that's the case, you're playing the part of the "idiot child" perfectly.

on a more serious note, if you didn't include unimportant information that is completely irrelevant to the topic of your thread such as bragging about street racing and your $4k/year insurance premium, this thread wouldn't have taken such a turn, would it? point is, if you want a simple objective answer, ASK A SIMPLE OBJECTIVE QUESTION.

if you really want to know how fast your is350 is, go race some real competition to the is350 instead of these second-rate lawnmower rice burners.

but in the event something does happen, just don't say that we didn't warn you...
Old 09-19-09, 03:43 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

haha your a real comedian DDD!!! yeah i noticed i have made that mistake, it was my fault, as i stated in my earlier post and i removed that line.

sorry if i didn't make this clear, its not that i don't want any real competition, but i just didn't have that chance yet. also, i am a pretty safe driver right now, after the police accused me 2 times for stupid things i didn't do, NONE from reckless driving or speeding or things like that.

first ticket: turning too slow? and too close to the side walk, had the potential of hitting a pedestrian? ( thats the excuse from the police) if i was turning too close to the side walk wouldn't my car hit the sidewalk? and the fact is i was no where near the sidewalk.

second ticket: after the first lesson, i tried to turn a little bit faster. guess what happened this time? police saw me turning at 20MPH, from like a half block away in a very dark street with heavy fog. He ASSUMED i didn't stop at stop sign because of my turning speed. gave me another ticket.

i would consider myself as a pretty safe driver, the only reason i started this topic is because of the "wants" to race, but didn't have the guts to do so, thanks to the bull****s from the police, and i wouldn't want to cause a major freeway domino crash

as everybody knows we are in a depression right now, police are picking out even the slightest mistakes from drivers and giving them tickets. so the city could generate more income.

i admit i have raced before, like some of the members here. but this topic started out with the intention of simply "curiosity". i have no intention to "freak out" other members, nor have i intended to escalate the post to where it is right now with my useless information. i have only shared the "useless information" with my simple mindedness, i didn't predict, nor wanted all these attentions from other members. i was just expressing what came up in my mind during the time when i posted.

i actually see myself playing out more as the "misunderstood teen".

it was my fault for saying too much, instead of a simple objective question. your right, i will try to avoid this kind of mistake.

Last edited by someboy; 09-19-09 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-19-09, 06:20 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

We've all made decisions we later regretted. Let's not crucify the OP for being young and let's please get back to the original topic. If you can't post to that topic, don't post.

Javier
Old 09-19-09, 08:37 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not gonna lie, I've been in street races before. In my defense, I only "race" when I'm at a stop light on a 65 MPH+ freeway and there are no other cars in sight (in front of us), and even then I only go up to 90-95 and then slow down.

It's not a great defense I know, it's still irresponsible.

I don't even do that much anymore.

Just the other day, this kid in a really old bmw 318i wanted to race me. He took off (not fast), I gave just a TOUCH of throttle to stay with him just to act like I was trying. Must've hit 60 in about 11 seconds (which was later confirmed, the 318i stock hits 0 to 60 in 11.3 seconds)

He kept going all the way up to what looked like 90+, I just stopped at 70. He probably thought he was pulling.

The entire time he and his goofball friends on the side were making it real clear that they thought they were winning.
Old 09-19-09, 08:39 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Actually it was funny, initially I gave too much throttle and lunged forward too much, so I had to coast a little bit to let him catch up at first. after that it was easy.

my throttle control sensitization is very low thanks to ECU learning my conservative driving habits
Old 09-19-09, 08:48 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

He had his windows rolled down, blasting music. I had my windows rolled down as well, he looked over (turned his music down) and asked me "how fast is your car?"

my response, "not really that fast, it's not a racecar or anything but the interior comfort is amazing"

he said, and i quote "yea man it's a lexus those things are sloooow, that's why i got a beamer" (yeah he used the term "beamer")

was a 17 year old kid, his passenger the same.

that's when he asked me to "go" at green, I just said ok and that's that. didn't meet up with him again

after i purposefully lost i'm not gonna lie, i did have the urge "man I sort of want to meet him again and actually go for real this time" but it's probably best i did not do that.

one i dont like wasting gas, and two i'm trying to get into a more responsible mindset. street racing, even on clear straightaways, is never a good idea

overall I was shocked at how amateurish his car knowledge was. Yeah he's just 17, but aren't MOST 17 year olds car nuts in some sense. are people really as clueless as him?

I mean I guess so, he definitely exists.
Old 09-19-09, 09:52 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

I wanna race a G37, the g35 ive beaten 5 times (different ones) and I drove an evo * and the IS would definitely beat it stock vs stock
Old 09-19-09, 10:47 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carLx

he said, and i quote "yea man it's a lexus those things are sloooow, that's why i got a beamer" (yeah he used the term "beamer")
thats when you say, yea beamers are fast, lets race to see how bad you can beat me. and then
Old 09-19-09, 11:08 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I've raced Bimmers and beat them so they're not THAT fast unless its a heavy modded 335i. I'm waiting to catch an E92 M3
Old 09-19-09, 11:16 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

i own a 2003 M3 with no performance mods, and can say it will take out my is350 with ease..
Old 09-19-09, 11:26 AM
tw88
Rookie

Heck, why do we even have cars that can go faster than the speed limits in the US anyway? Let' just put in a chip to limit all our cars to 65 mph.
Old 09-19-09, 12:27 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The real danger on the streets are the idiots that are going 45/50 mph in the fast lane on major highways (with an atitude), with no one in front of them. Also those that can't make ANY descisions; like going through an intersection, making a turn, going around a stopped car, etc. How about the idiots that entering a 50/60 mph highway at 10 mph.

Koz
Old 09-19-09, 01:00 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

is it even possible to catch a m3? i mean a 2000 + m3 is 300+ and 400+ horsepower, and i think m3s have the same acceleration speed as the IS F.
Old 09-19-09, 01:34 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juice14
thats when you say, yea beamers are fast, lets race to see how bad you can beat me. and then
haha i thought about it.

maybe if he was driving a 335i i would understand his comments, but jesus ****ing christ a stock 318i from the early 90s? there are minivans on the road that get to 60 faster than his 11.2 second car (0 to 60, not quarter mile)

to be honest, initially I thought the "318i" badge was some sort of sleeper look that he was going for. Maybe he had some serious power under the hood, but...nope.

I could hear his little engine "BRRRRRRRRPPTPT MBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPTPTP" go at WOT from 0. Reminded me of my earlier days in a 100 HP beater when I was around his age.

someboy m3s are 12 second cars, you're not going to catch them in an IS 350. An IS-F can hang with the newer ones, but with the 350 you're out of luck. Don't even bother, just a waste of gas.

Quick Reply: how fast is IS350 really?