IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bye Bye Is 350, Hello 2010 Mustang Gt.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 06:55 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
err sorry i didnt read this whole thread just the OP and what i wrote... so... are ppl here actually comparing the stang to the 350??? ROFL thats hilarious HAHAHA~~~

i've owned both a stang and a 350 AT THE SAME TIME and let me just say, they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT CARS, you cant beat the stang for the sheer enjoyment of a performance muscle car (best bang for the buck), on the flip side you cant beat the is350 for the sheer pleasure of driving a fast luxury gt car. Apples n Oranges folks.
Absolutely true but seems like a lot of people like to compare primarily the performance VS. another car.
Old 06-29-09, 06:56 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to go Pony care route, then I would've went with the 2010 Camaro. That car is a beast with over 400 hp. The Challenger has around the same power, but much much heavier & consequently slower.

I'm not a fan of the interior and overall design of Mustang, but the 2010's have improved with the midyear refresh.
Old 06-29-09, 07:01 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Yeah I hate brand snobs regardless of what brand they are a part of.

This guy "IS350King" is the epitome of lexus brand snob. The only problem is he brings down the reputation of the brand with his vacuous and insulting posts.

"I might switch over to the muscle group also. Maybe if I trade in my 335 and is350 I can afford a ZR1 "

Holy **** I'd trade my 350 over 10 times for a ZR1.

In all seriousness if you can afford to do this I give you my vote of confidence. The ZR1 is sexy as hell.

Also this post is pretty much spot on:

"
i've owned both a stang and a 350 AT THE SAME TIME and let me just say, they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT CARS, you cant beat the stang for the sheer enjoyment of a performance muscle car (best bang for the buck), on the flip side you cant beat the is350 for the sheer pleasure of driving a fast luxury gt car. Apples n Oranges folks."
Old 06-29-09, 07:07 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I would never do it but congrats!
Old 06-29-09, 07:09 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Great choice on the color! I loove the way the current gen Mustangs look. Congrats on your purchase and have fun with her!!!
Old 06-29-09, 07:17 PM
Moredeeb77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Phiber
Is there any reason why you didn't choose the 2010 Camaro over the Mustang?

I might switch over to the muscle group also. Maybe if I trade in my 335 and is350 I can afford a ZR1
The Camaro has to be ordered, which means waiting for what you want and with GM filing bankruptcy who knows when you will get it. Mustangs are readily available at every dealership. The Chevy dealerships in my area have either 1 or no Camaros on the lot, and if they are there they are all decked out to the tune of 36k or more. Not to mention the typical dealership mark up. Yeah the ss Camaro is faster then the Mustang but its not $9000 faster. The Mustang handles better even with a live axle, its lighter and it has build history behind it.. The Camaro has a recall going on for failing starter cables that could result in a fire... Don't get me wrong the Camaro is a hot car but it didn't fit my bang for the buck agenda.

Last edited by Moredeeb77; 06-29-09 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 07:24 PM
Moredeeb77
Driver School Candidate

This don't mean much but i will mention it anyway. When i was driving it home from the dealer i caught alot of folks gawking at it....lol this Kona blue is hot....
Old 06-29-09, 07:37 PM
Moredeeb77
Driver School Candidate

as far as Mods are concerned i just found out that Edelbrock now makes supercharger for my stang also, no hood alterations necessary..

http://www.edelbrock.com/media/news/...ve/102708.html

Old 06-29-09, 07:40 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Moredeeb77
The Camaro has to be ordered, which means waiting for what you want and with GM filing bankruptcy who knows when you will get it. Mustangs are readily available at every dealership. The Chevy dealerships in my area has either 1 or no Camaros on the lot, and if they are there they are all decked out to the tune of 36k or more. Not to mention the typical dealership mark up. Yeah the ss Camaro is faster then the Mustang but its not $9000 faster. The Mustang handles better even with a live axel, its lighter and it has build history behind it.. The Camaro has a recall going on for failing starter cables that could result in a fire... Don't get me wrong the Camaro is a hot car but it didn't fit my bang for the buck agenda.
Maybe in a tiny, insignificant state like Delaware, but here in Texas, the new Camaros are EVERYWHERE. The dealerships out here have them lined up in front of their dealerships.

The demographics of a specific vehicle play a big part in it's availability. I wouldn't imagine the demand for V8 Camaros are very high in that part of the country. Maybe a Prius? But here in the Lone Star State, every other car is a Mustang, Camaro, Vette or a big truck. Hell, this is the only place I've lived where high school girls want a Ford F150 or Dodge Ram as their FIRST CAR. Yes, that is correct, first car. This is commomplace around here. So is heavy starched Wrangler jeans with ropers. If you don't know what roper's are, then you don't live in TX.

Yes, it's pretty wack.

They do everything big here in TX. I used to stay in San Diego, so I know how they do it out there. Here in Texhicks, it's basically a different planet. But yes, Camaros are everywhere.
Old 06-29-09, 08:54 PM
dajwilson
Driver

[QUOTE=edwin907;4640538]"The nice thing about those late model Mustangs is that they really are great looking cars, maybe better than the originals" is what I said.
You're certainly entitlled to your opinion, and it's one shared by many with you for sure. A buddy has a '70 Mustang 351 Cleveland, white, very nice, a girl I work with has a new black GT, also very nice.

I like 'em both, but have never owned any Ford.
If the new Mustang is second best looking, it's a close second. And if I was going to buy and build a retro muscle car, it's be the Mustang for sure given the other choices.
Of course, I've still got the old ex-scca '71 LS-6 ''vette hot rod (6mpg), so no muscle car for me!

I was just joking around with you but...I am a fan of the old school. Your vette is a beauty. I just remember growing up and my uncle having the old school 5.0. I loved that car. I can't deny that a nicely mod'd and racing stripes included new GT can look really good. I think the problem that I've seen with stangs is the new community that's driving them. Mustangs are more decently priced so more people that don't have the appreciation for the brand and ruin it for true Mustang drivers. I see 20 year old kids outside of Starbucks with their Mustangs disgracing the Mustang name and tradition so....maybe that has made me a little biased.

Anyway, to the OP, go for what makes you happy. And I think I agreed with you in my earlier post, that the muscle from the Stang makes me all tingly inside....and if that's why you're buying it, then, it's a good buy.

Last edited by dajwilson; 06-29-09 at 08:55 PM. Reason: take the quoted photo out
Old 06-29-09, 09:09 PM
perception
Driver School Candidate

i just made the jump from a modded 02 GT to an IS350

personally, not very many cars can produce a better sound than the modular v8 in the GT/cobras. it's so mean and actually has an exhaust tone unlike the pushrod engine in the camaros, trans am, etc.

luckly i still have both
Old 06-29-09, 09:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
So why make it an issue? Why can't we simply appreciate the fact that it's a different car, with a different purpose, in a different class? It isn't any better or worse than a Lexus, it's just different. I don't mean to come off standoffish, (and I'm not necessarily referring to you when I say this) but there are an awful lot of brand snobs in this thread.

Javier
Exactly.

Then I will retract my statement too which was every bit as standoffish as your statement, my point made. Cool.

I agree with you different car for a different purpose. And I truly respect that because I'm from a Ford family (father connection) and was a very satisfied owner of a GT convert. Car companies don't necessarily like me because I have no loyalty. (having owned Honda, Toyota, Jag, Mercedes, Porsche, Ford, Hummer, Jeep, Acura, Lexus, Mazda etc.)
Old 06-29-09, 09:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a Mustang to a Porsche a few years ago, liking some change for my weekend toy car. Contrast is good.
Old 06-29-09, 09:44 PM
LexFather

Guys don't sound like uneducated tools. The Mustang GT is a sensational car and NOT MEANT to be built or ride like a Lexus. C&D recently picked the 2010 Mustang over the new Camaro and Challenger. Its a great car.

Congrats to the OP and great choice and please ignore the morons who sound like children and not car enthusiasts.

Very disappointing. Ford quality is up and been up for awhile. No one buys a Ford Mustang expecting Lexus quality. THey buy a Mustang for different reasons.

A GT never advertises something it isn't. Its old school American muscle.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-29-09 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 10:27 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

I've been looking in for some american muscle myself... top of the list is a 2010 Camaro SS and the new Mustang. Might wait another year for both of em to get the bugs out but also to see if Ford will bring back the 5.0 next year.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Is 350, Hello 2010 Mustang Gt.