IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The worst part of being bit by the mod bug?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 02:36 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
you know what's even worse than waiting?
finding out that your goodies got DAMAGED during delivery....
then you have to go through lots of stuff and then wait AGAIN
FedEx likes to beat up packages.
Old 06-06-09, 02:41 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the worst part about getting bit by the mod bug when you're repeatedly being bit over and over again LOL

Good thing I stopped getting bit for a while....
Old 06-06-09, 05:19 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Since it was brought up, some other downsides (take this whole thing lightly)...

1) Calls attention to cops.
2) Calls attention to no good doers.
3) Projects a "hey look at me, I'm trying to stand out from the crowd" persona (could be good or bad).
4) Ruins resale value.
5) Diminishes ride.
6) Can void warranty.
7) Expensive parts.

Other than that, it's great!
I kid. I used to mod when I was younger. It's something you do, live through it, and then get out of your system.
One sign you are getting older in life is when you stop doing things like modding and start your sentences with "when I was your age..." Ahhhh! It's a slow Friday night!
To pick up on your #1, a worse case scenario would be getting pulled over for a minor but illegal mod and having the cop discover something else, like no seat belt being worn, no valid registration or proof of insurance, or worse yet, having had one too many beers at that party you’re coming home from, ending up with you in jail, your car impounded, and your driver’s license suspended for five years.
Old 06-07-09, 12:25 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The worst part is trying to pace myself so its a little better on the wallet lol

The never ending list of stuff to buy doesn't help either LOL
Old 06-07-09, 12:56 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the money. but its worth it
Old 06-07-09, 03:05 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

the worst part of modding?

finding out that the car you started modding has an encrypted ECU, has a Tacoma tranismission, doesn't have an aftermarket following, and is just sitting in your driveway looking pretty.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!!!!

Why didn'nt I know about the IS-F before I plunkered down for the IS 250 T_T

/slash wrist
Old 06-07-09, 11:50 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

watching the parts getting old and damage....that hurts the most..... my rims!!!! my lips!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-09, 11:54 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Since it was brought up, some other downsides (take this whole thing lightly)...

3) Projects a "hey look at me, I'm trying to stand out from the crowd" persona (could be good or bad).
4) Ruins resale value.
5) Diminishes ride.
6) Can void warranty.
7) Expensive parts.

I kid. I used to mod when I was younger. It's something you do, live through it, and then get out of your system.
One sign you are getting older in life is when you stop doing things like modding and start your sentences with "when I was your age..." Ahhhh! It's a slow Friday night!
your opinion and i repsect that, but IMO people who say they outgrow it, were never serious to begin with. i have friends who say that and i always say if you have always liked cars it shouldnt change. i will never ever drive a stock car. i know people who are into their 60's who still drive modded cars. again no disrespect.
Old 06-07-09, 12:26 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

you know whats the worst part....when you look at ur wallet
Old 06-07-09, 08:43 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
your opinion and i repsect that, but IMO people who say they outgrow it, were never serious to begin with. i have friends who say that and i always say if you have always liked cars it shouldnt change. i will never ever drive a stock car. i know people who are into their 60's who still drive modded cars. again no disrespect.
I’m 72, and frankly your post does seem disrespectful. I love cars and have driven my share of high performance and luxury cars in my time. But I never saw the need to mod them. They gave me all the pleasure I needed as they were. You seem to be saying that anyone who drives stock cars is some kind of old fuddy duddy who does not appreciate fine automobiles. Well, like Fizzboy7 suggested, it may be a kid thing that you too may someday outgrow.
Old 06-07-09, 10:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
No disrespected taken. But I can't say that I agree with the "were never serious about cars to begin with" statement. I think what happens for some people, myself included, as you get older your standard gets higher and your patience get lower. As a result of that, I try to find the best possible car to fit my needs right out of the gate. That is, one that has a high level of luxury, sport, style, reliability, practicality, and class- all wrapped into one package WITH a warranty. Piecing all that together takes energy... and when you are younger, you have that energy. Having someone do it all for you from the start and never having to worry about a hassle at the service department is more appealing to me.

Then there is another avenue to this whole thing, and that is people who like to customize their cars to stand out. Modding puts their "mark" on it, with their very own creativity and signature. Nothing wrong with that at all and I think that is also why so many people mod. But as one ages and life progresses, perhaps he/she cares less and less about making statements to society (through a vehicle).

Or, maybe I am too much of a thinker. When I see a modded car, the first thing I think is, "who is driving it?" rather than the product itself. I wonder if others have the same first thought...

All good points here, glad you added to it.
Old 06-08-09, 04:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1

I've always liked cars, I just generally don't bother with mods that don't actually improve the performance of the vehicle in some way.

On my last car that involved lots of mods, because there was a lot you could do in that regard... while it was nice stock it had lots of room for easy/relatively cheap improvement...and it went from a car that'd barely beat an IS250 in a race to one that'd hand an IS-F it's rear easily.

On this car however there's very very little that's worth doing, hence, not much modding. Doesn't mean I'm not "serious" about cars, it means I bought a really really nice car that's already very well engineered and leaves little room for practical improvement.
Old 06-08-09, 07:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My preference is for tasteful, somewhat subtle mods.
Old 06-08-09, 10:01 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

4) Ruins resale value.
5) Diminishes ride.
6) Can void warranty.
7) Expensive parts.

Just to offer some feedback on some of what you wrote, since the discussion went that way:

I'd say for many of your points, it depends on how you choose to modify the vehicle, and then how or where you drive it. For example, lawfully tracking your car wouldn’t attract police attention, while a person putting together a purpose-built hot-rod would likely consider resale value and warranties as two of the last things on their mind. On the other hand, I can just as easily see why you listed these points, especially if you’re discussing some of the more popular clichés/stereotypes (some of which I agree, do have merit).

I will have to disagree on the comment about modifying a car being something you do when younger, though. Granted, it does exist as a fad for a number of individuals, but I've found that young or old(er), its a matter of how much you appreciate the activity, in general. Tinkering with cars is a timeless tradition in this country, embraced by those young and old, and I'm sure there are a number of cases where kids inheret their interest from watching a relative pull together a vintage project or so (not limited to cars).

I know for me, I just enjoy working with my hands, reverse engineering things, and seeing direct results from a days work, be it visually or performance-wise. Work smart and play hard.
Old 06-08-09, 10:11 AM
Chadley6mt
Driver

here is the worst part...

Getting the american folks to want to ship to canada!

you guys are soo racist towards shipping to canada..LOL

Quick Reply: The worst part of being bit by the mod bug?