Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 11:16 PM
izzie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob IS250 AWD Owner Needs Assistance

<begin plea>

Hi,

I'm a proud owner of 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD as of a week ago. It was a Rebuilt From Salvage Title purchase. As this was my first purchase and being a girly-not-mechanically-inclined, I had it inspected at my local Lexus dealership and they said all was cleared as if nothing happened. I purchased the vehicle and the next day the infamous VSC, CEL, and TRAC warning lights came on.

I came across this forum and it looked to be the typical gas cap issue and I proceeded to drive the car a couple hundred miles and booked another appt. at the dealership.

After taking it back to the dealership, they came across and told me that there was a need to replace the front O2 sensor, Charcoal Canister Assembly, and Front Exhaust Pipe (where the O2 sensor is plugged in). After some intense b****ing, I was told that this could have never been determined even with a thorough inspection and I was SOL for making the purchase.

So the stealership wants to nail me for the following out-of-warranty repairs:
- O2 sensor $492.00 installed.
- Charcoal Canister Assembly $841.00 installed.
- Front Exhaust Pipe $1932.00 installed.

My question to the forum is:
- Since I've disclosed at the time of inspection that this vehicle had a rebuilt title, they are fingering the accident as the cause of these problems when these posts I've searched obviously state otherwise. To make things a little more complicated, they claim the O2 sensor was welded on to the pipe hence the need to replace it - is there a way I can tell if I get underneath there?
- Is there a online website where I can pull up these part numbers and order them, rather, than go back to this dealership? If I am going to get shoved around I would rather go independent.

Thanks so much guys, I wish I would have found this forum before I bought the car.

~Uyen

</begin plea>
Old 05-20-09, 01:58 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Also try to ask people in maintenance.

All 3 light came on? with a Rebuilt Salvage Title, the dealer can blame on anything to make money off you.

Did you take it to your own dealer or the seller recommend to that dealer?

If those were actual problem, take another mechanic shop, much cheaper. There's online manual (http://driver.lexus.com) or search this forum.

How much did you bought the vehicle for? just curious...

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your 06 250.
Old 05-20-09, 05:03 PM
izzie
Driver School Candidate

Hi there,

Yes - all 3 lights came on. I agree that since it is a salvage title, they're trying to pull a bit of a fast one on me.

I took it to my local Lexus Dealership. I bought the car for about 19K with the salvage title. Considering the costs I'll be incurring for further repairs - I might as well have bought a clear titled one and it would've been in and around the same price - without the headaches and issues!

I did see the link to the manual. I'm just looking to see if anyone knows about any other sites where I can buy parts for a little cheaper instead of at the dealership. I only know of miloneparts.com right now.

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated!
Old 05-22-09, 12:13 PM
izzie
Driver School Candidate

I put it on a lift myself and took a look at the damage. Looks like the O2 sensor was welded on the pipe so I have to replace that pipe and the O2 sensor. The charcoal filter doesn't look that bad, but, I will have to fix that myself.

Suck.

Last edited by izzie; 05-23-09 at 09:47 AM.