IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealers 2nd Attempt at Alignment - Help me 'straighten' this out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 07:16 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Dealers 2nd Attempt at Alignment - Help me 'straighten' this out!

After installing H&R springs I got an alignment from my dealership, this was about 3 weeks ago. I'm still pulling to the right and called my dealership to complain. They said they would take it in again and give it another shot, but it was after much trouble on my part.

They gave me a song and dance about how my springs basically ruined my entire suspension. I personally think they just don't like dealing with anything but an all stock Lexus...

Anyway, is there any knowledge you could impart to help arm me going into this? I'm so sick of pulling to the right, and I'm not sure how to handle the situation if they tell me they can't fix it.
Old 04-09-09, 07:53 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Take it somewhere else. Dealerships are known not to do good on alignments if you dropped your car. I'm sure there are some specialty alignment shops in your area. You do pay a bit more but those people handle these kind of things.

On another note how are your tires? Tire can also cause the car to pull. If this is the case you may try to see if you can swap the right side to the left and see if they pull the opposite side. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-09-09, 09:22 AM
YellowCopy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to check your spacers to make sure they are not loose and are sitting flush against the hub too. But that is in addition to what Benzo said, he is right on the money.

One other note. See if they only adjusted it as far as they could while keeping the steering wheel level. Depending on how you drive, and if you favor making left or right turns the suspension could have setteled in differently requiring different amounts of adjustment.
Old 04-09-09, 09:27 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

I'm lowered on H&R's and recently did my alignment and had no issues. My camber was at the max of factory spec, but still passable. Toe was set and the car drives straight, no problems. The tires would be the next thing I'd look at (Like the 2 ^^^ said also), but didn't you just mount up new rims/tires? If not, ask them if you still need to pay for the alignment, since the car is technically not aligned properly. The shop we use doesn't charge you if they can't align it.
Old 04-09-09, 09:33 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

you need to take it to a good shop who does alignment on dropped cars. dealer will not do it, i remember i had alignment done 3 times on my gs400 then a good shop who adjusts camber and etc got 100% right.
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
After installing H&R springs I got an alignment from my dealership, this was about 3 weeks ago. I'm still pulling to the right and called my dealership to complain. They said they would take it in again and give it another shot, but it was after much trouble on my part.

They gave me a song and dance about how my springs basically ruined my entire suspension. I personally think they just don't like dealing with anything but an all stock Lexus...

Anyway, is there any knowledge you could impart to help arm me going into this? I'm so sick of pulling to the right, and I'm not sure how to handle the situation if they tell me they can't fix it.
Old 04-09-09, 12:55 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

mine took like 4 times on the rack to get right. the IS suspension is really tight so any lil movement throws the toe off. Just make sure the align the rear wheels then the front. Also make sure that the wheel is level. I watched the guy do my alignment and everything looked good on the screen but ended up not having a level steering wheel each time. They finally got it write when I took it to another shop...good thing I got the 3 year unlimited alignment.
Old 04-10-09, 11:52 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

mine is the same situation so i'll try another shop.
Old 04-10-09, 12:01 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

This will always be a major issue with dropped cars no matter what. I just did my second alignment and it still pulls to the right a little bit, but I just live it. But dont go back the stealerships cause they'll just give you a lot of BS and they're too expensive.
Old 04-10-09, 05:47 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

I hate stealerships.
Old 04-10-09, 07:06 PM
09 LEX 250
Driver

Originally Posted by mdgrwl

thats the problem^^^ you went to the dealer
Old 04-10-09, 07:11 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Jeez. Not so much hostility towards the dealerships guys. Maybe y'all are just going to the wrong ones or simply hoppin' on the bandwagon by saying all dealerships are thieves. There are plenty of reasons why dealerships have the prices that they have. relax. you modified your car from factory settings and you were wrong to bring it to the dealer for that in the first place OP.
Old 04-10-09, 09:08 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
Jeez. Not so much hostility towards the dealerships guys. Maybe y'all are just going to the wrong ones or simply hoppin' on the bandwagon by saying all dealerships are thieves. There are plenty of reasons why dealerships have the prices that they have. relax. you modified your car from factory settings and you were wrong to bring it to the dealer for that in the first place OP.
The dealers shouldn't attempt alignments on modified cars if they can't handle the work. Accepting the work (and payment) creates a reasonable expectation that the work will be done correctly the first time.

The OP wasn't "wrong" to bring his car to a Lexus dealer. He had no way of knowing they weren't competent to handle an alignment on a lowered car, especially given the "F-Sport" line of accessories Lexus is more than happy to sell and support.

Lesson learned, I suppose.
Old 04-11-09, 02:38 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i would only let a shop that only does alignment work on my car. if i were to get an exhuast done i would take it to a shop that only does exhaust work. if the dealer cant do it they should say so before they attempt it. my local dealer ship will not do any cars that have a modified suspension, not that i would let them touch it even if they did.
Old 04-12-09, 10:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

my GS pulled to the right after I installed my Tein H tech springs. Its because the weight of the driver will drop the left side of the car more and cause the car to pull to the right. I had them align the car with 2 service techs in the car ( I am 6'5" and 300 lbs) and it worked like a charm. Living large baby