IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hit a pothole again.... How much will a new rim cost me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 08:13 AM
jamesis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit a pothole going 80 mph on I-94 the other day. The tire didn't pop but the rim bent a bit on the front lip. After some research online I decided to go with repair instead of buying a used/reconditioned rim. wheels of america, www.wheelsofamerica.com, they did an awesome job repairing it, balancing it and fixed the curb rash I had on it too. Everything came out to be $130ish. Check them out
Old 03-25-09, 12:20 PM
phillies
Rookie

I'm at the dealership waiting while they check out the car. Hopefully they tell me the rim is ok. Maybe if I just eat enough of the low fat yogurts and water bottles in the lounge area I can recoupe some of the money I'm going to have to dish out... lol
Old 03-25-09, 12:23 PM
blksrpnt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by phillies
I hit another pothole again coming home from work today. Damm those low profile tires... lol I put on the donut but from doing a quick look I'm thinking I'm going to be needing a new rim as well. Anyone have any idea how much a new rim my cost me for my 08 IS250 AWD? I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow but I'm getting ansy as to how much this might cost me....
since your IS is AWD, you might want to change all 4 tires as well..

This is to keep tires' rotational diameter the same and won't cause any damages to your AWD system in the long run.
Old 03-25-09, 12:27 PM
phillies
Rookie

Well, I'm very happy right now. The rim is just fine and the cost of the tire has gone down since last year when I had to get a tire replaced. The new tire is going to cost me $180 plus tax. Not too bad....
Old 03-25-09, 12:29 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, let me save you a whole lot of time, frustration, and money.

Click here.

Don't bother fixing it, just get a new one.

Javier
Old 03-25-09, 12:36 PM
phillies
Rookie

Originally Posted by blksrpnt
since your IS is AWD, you might want to change all 4 tires as well..

This is to keep tires' rotational diameter the same and won't cause any damages to your AWD system in the long run.
Let's see... My left front tire is getting replaced as I write this. My back left tire was replaced last month when I got a screw in it. And my right front tire was replaced last May or so when I hit a pothole. Why rotate tires when I just keep replacing them due to potholes and screws on the road? lol
Old 03-25-09, 12:38 PM
eboot
Driver

I've got three 17 inch Lexus wheels sitting at home (take offs from my 2007 AWD). The wheels have rubber and TPMS sensors, about 17K miles on the rubber. I was going to put them up for sale, but never got around to it. Let me know, I can hook you up.
Old 03-25-09, 01:30 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, all that money you spend you could had some nice a$$ aftermaket wheels!!!
Old 03-26-09, 02:03 PM
Luv4Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I hit a pothole(about 6 inch) the other day going 80+ mph. The tires seems fine, 19" rims is ok... but It felt so harsh i dunno if it mess up my suspension...
Old 03-26-09, 02:17 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrIS250
DO NOT buy the wheel from the dealer...find one on eBay for hundreds less than the dealer.
Old 03-26-09, 02:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'm very happy right now. The rim is just fine and the cost of the tire has gone down since last year when I had to get a tire replaced. The new tire is going to cost me $180 plus tax. Not too bad....
I guess you had the Dunlaps? I blew a Bridgestone Potenza RE92 -- it was about $250.
Old 03-26-09, 02:57 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's see... My left front tire is getting replaced as I write this. My back left tire was replaced last month when I got a screw in it. And my right front tire was replaced last May or so when I hit a pothole. Why rotate tires when I just keep replacing them due to potholes and screws on the road? lol

Sorry bro but I couldn't help but laugh at that last line! Hope your luck turns around!
Old 03-27-09, 08:07 AM
DVac3
Pole Position

That's why I am so nervous to put the rims back on. I am giving the city some extra time to fix these potholes, I am not rushing to put these wheels back on just to mess them up.
Old 03-27-09, 11:59 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DVac3
That's why I am so nervous to put the rims back on. I am giving the city some extra time to fix these potholes, I am not rushing to put these wheels back on just to mess them up.
I'm the same way, the roads in MN are a mess right now due to the changing temps, usually by mid to late April they've got them patched up as well as they're gonna be. My car w/20's won't be out until then.
Old 04-05-09, 10:52 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

I hit another pothole again coming home from work today. Damm those low profile tires... lol I put on the donut but from doing a quick look I'm thinking I'm going to be needing a new rim as well. Anyone have any idea how much a new rim my cost me for my 08 IS250 AWD? I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow but I'm getting ansy as to how much this might cost me....

I hit a HUGE pothole in midtown Atlanta lastnight and bent my right front wheel. In addition, the right headlamp has gone beserk. I have the bixenon with AFS. That light is now aimed higher than the left and I don't think it is pivoting anymore. The car still drives straight and doesn't pull left or right so I don't think there is anything bent anywhere.

Any clue what's up with the light? I tried disconnecting the battery for about 30 mins to see if a reset would help....it didn't.

?????

Quick Reply: Hit a pothole again.... How much will a new rim cost me?