IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quick transmission fluid question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 01:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I went and grabbed the chart from that thread for ya in case you didn't feel like reading through it-

Performed Repair : Fill Amount
Transmission oil pan and drain plug removal : 1.3 liters (1.37 US qts, 1.14 lmp. qts)
Transmission valve body removal : 3.4 liters (3.59 US qts, 2.99 lmp. qts)
Torque converter removal : 4.5 liters (4.76 US qts, 3.96 lmp. qts)
Entire transmission assembly : 7.8 liters (8.24 US qts, 6.86 lmp. qts)

So drop the pan and you remove 1.3 liters from a nearly 8 liter system... actually less than 20%.
Old 11-03-08, 02:10 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No, it's really not.

Go look at the original thread.

Removing the pan entirely gets about 20% of the fluid out of the system. Hardly a fluid change.

Seriously, check the first post in this thread, which links to that one, which is like 8 pages of discussion, including service charts and diagrams, showing it's not possible to change the fluid.

You can add some, though it's a mild pain, if fixed a leak.

You can drain some if you overfilled.

You can't change it though.
there is a way to do it, i used to work at a transmission shop, i don't recommend this but unless your 100% confident oh and get a buddy to help, disconnect the cooler line pumping fluid back into the transmission(the return line) and have a bucket ready for when the trans fluid starts coming out. be ready to fill it up thru the drain plug with a pump, run the car in park, as fluid starts coming out of the cooler line put begin to fill the transmission up equally, once the fluid coming out of the return line looks clean enough, put in the drain plug, stop the car and then reattach the cooler line. Done,

btw in my post i never said u can do a FULL fluid change, i was just simply saying the idea of a transmission being COMPLETELY sealed, were as you cannot change the fluid is non-sense. but now that u mentioned it, there you go above ^

Last edited by xuningshen; 11-03-08 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 07:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xuningshen
there is a way to do it, i used to work at a transmission shop, i don't recommend this but unless your 100% confident oh and get a buddy to help, disconnect the cooler line pumping fluid back into the transmission(the return line) and have a bucket ready for when the trans fluid starts coming out. be ready to fill it up thru the drain plug with a pump, run the car in park, as fluid starts coming out of the cooler line put begin to fill the transmission up equally, once the fluid coming out of the return line looks clean enough, put in the drain plug, stop the car and then reattach the cooler line. Done,

btw in my post i never said u can do a FULL fluid change, i was just simply saying the idea of a transmission being COMPLETELY sealed, were as you cannot change the fluid is non-sense. but now that u mentioned it, there you go above ^

Except you're still wrong.

There are no cooler lines with transmission fluid in them in this car.

READ THE ORIGINAL THREAD

It has pictures and everything.

People have been through all this already.
Old 11-03-08, 08:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by xuningshen

Nice post! So glad you bring real experience to the thread. So, how about we go disconnect that pesky cooler line and see what comes out? OH CRAP! IT'S COOLANT NOT ATF?!?!?!? Yes, they run coolant all the way to the gearbox and have an oil/coolant heat exchanger mounted inside the gearbox. Oh those clever devils at Lexus, what will they think of next?

READ THE OTHER THREAD BEFORE LEADING PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THINGS THAT ARE NOT TRUE!
Old 11-03-08, 08:25 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
READ THE OTHER THREAD BEFORE LEADING PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THINGS THAT ARE NOT TRUE!
ok so maybe i should've tried it on my own lexus before saying that. but it can be done on other cars, my mistake. and i did skim the other thread btw damn bro... way to lay it out as a forum moderator

Last edited by xuningshen; 11-03-08 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 05:34 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

^^^And most auto trannys don't flow fluid when in park.
Old 11-04-08, 05:36 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
Yes,

The 2gen is a sealed unit and does not require the T-IV fluid to be changed. Remember, you should never tow anything with the "IS" anyway. This car is not designed for towing.
There is a hitch and a max load recomendation for the European spec ISs. I believe max weight is around 3000lbs.
Old 11-04-08, 05:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
There is a hitch and a max load recomendation for the European spec ISs. I believe max weight is around 3000lbs.
For the gas model, or just the diesel one?

The US manual mentions in at least 3 separate places to -never- tow with the car.
Old 11-04-08, 05:53 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
For the gas model, or just the diesel one?

The US manual mentions in at least 3 separate places to -never- tow with the car.
It's possible that it is the diesel only. There is a thread here or on MyIS.com about hitches for the IS. A European posted his factory hitch set up.

Edit: Here are the links. Looks like a IS250 gas.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=235343&page=3

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=hitch Includes link to above link.

Last edited by Jefe's IS; 11-04-08 at 06:04 AM.