IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I'm extremely bent up and I need a voice of reason

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 01:49 PM
Lucien911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm extremely bent up and I need a voice of reason

Hi all. Hope everyone's summer has been going well. I know I don't post here very often (used to frequent many Porsche and Evo boards but just don't have the time anymore), but I have a small issue that is extremely frustrating and I'm looking for some advice before I flip out. Please take a few seconds to read...

Scenario is:

I had new tires installed by a local shop about a month ago, around the same time I ordered 10mm and 15mm spacers. As most of ours are, my IS350 is still under warranty, but for easy non-warranty-related things, I usually try to take the car to a decent independent mechanic because I try to have faith in them to do simple things, and it keeps the big guy from getting too big, so-to-speak. Fair enough...

I get the car back from the new tire installation, and the balance for the front wheels was not accurate. It was very slightly off mark, but that's all it takes.
So the next week, (a few weeks ago), I took the car back to them and had them check the tire balance. They confirmed it was off, pulled all four tires, rebalanced, then reinstalled... Okay fine. Done deal. (Not really...)

So today I get back from vacation and I have these 10mm and 15mm Ichiba spacers waiting at my neighbor's place for me, so I pick them up to install...

Starting with the rear, I went to break the lug nuts loose with the stock hand-spun lug socket and that's where I caught myself thinking "WTF?"

Going in a 'star pattern', I tried loosening the first lug nut and it was hard as hell.. Especially for just being taken off a month ago. But with some tugging, I finally got it to spin off...

Second one was just like the first... After a minute of tugging, pushing and pulling, I "broke" that lug nut too... Thought this would be an easy job. Much easier than working on my Porsche.

Third one in the star pattern was the lug with the key lock. I made sure the key lock and the wrench were both flush with the lug nut, and tried to give it a turn... wasn't happening... So I put a little extra muscle into it and I wish I was lying but the damn thing stripped out. The lug "key" stripped, not the lug nut itself..

I'm immediately pissed because I can't believe how f'n tight those lug nuts were on the wheels. I mean, I'm 6'5" and about 215 and I'd say I'm pretty strong. I've never in my short life had to work so damn hard to break lug nuts... Even after the wheels had been stuck on there for years..

So I stopped right there so nothing further gets messed up. Right now I have spacers sitting here that I can't install because some clowns torqued my wheels down to what seems like 120 lb-ft instead of (what's it supposed to be? about 80-85 lb-ft?)

So my questions are:

--Part of me wants to just go to Lexus, get a new lug key for the nuts, then just take it to another shop...

--But most of me wants to go to this independent place, backhand the guys who work there, ask them why they can't do such a simple job, then have them buy me a new lug lock set and install everything TO SPEC this time.

--Can we just buy a lug KEY without having to buy a whole set of new locking lugs to go with the new key??

Any other suggestions?? What would you do in this position??

Thanks!!

***NOTE: While it's a shame that we can't rely on some certain independent shops to do proper work, even if they're ASE cert'd, I am not in any way trying to say that independent shops are not good. I think they're great if you find a reputable shop. It just-so-happens that I'm new to my current area and I'm struggling to find someone I can trust.
Old 09-03-08, 01:55 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have to call McGard for a new key. I think its like $12 for the key or something similar
Old 09-03-08, 02:43 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Call the place that did the work and explain what happened. They should help you out. If not... then you could contact the BBB.
Old 09-03-08, 02:44 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

If i were you i'd go back to the shop. And since you're 6'5 you are somewhat big and could intimidate them given you can raise hell if they say no
Old 09-03-08, 03:03 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I would suggest the following:
1. calm down
2. put all the lugs back
3. go back to that shop and explain your situation to the manager (not some pawn) and request what you listed above in a professional manner

Good luck.
Old 09-03-08, 04:11 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

I would get the manager of the shop to take responsibility of it. I don't like shops that tighten your lugs with their handy dandy air gun and over torque your nuts! I'm sure they've seen this type of complaint before so they would most likely not question you too much.
Old 09-03-08, 04:18 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Go back to the shop and be as calm and nice as possible while explaining the situation. If they don't want to play ball, chances are being a jerk isn't going to help either. In that case, get the new lock key from McGard and go to another shop or to a Lexus dealer.
Old 09-03-08, 04:44 PM
tdz
Driver School Candidate

Go back to the shop and be polite. Most reputable shops will do whatever they need to do to make the customer happy.
Old 09-03-08, 04:48 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Righty - Tighty, Lefty-Loosey?
Old 09-03-08, 05:21 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

the whole back hand thing might work.....
Old 09-03-08, 05:26 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

One thing to remember with locks:

Always the first to loosen.
Always the last to tighten.

Sounds like they drove em on pretty hard with a pneumatic wrench.

Torque is only about 75-85 ft/lbs..I have torqued mine to specs and you wouldn't believe how easy that is to loosen...e.g..its not very tight
Old 09-03-08, 05:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Torque is only about 75-85 ft/lbs..
How about exactly 76 ft-lbs. This is true for all Toyota products with the exception of the Landcruiser, its Lexus equivalents, and the new Tundra.
Old 09-03-08, 05:58 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

oh crap.

i've been torquing them to 90 . . .

I shouldn't have done any damage to anything, right Lance? o.o

bah. at least I know now . . .

And about your situation mr, op.

Save the backhand and a night in jail for a silly bar fight over a silly broad and just explain what's up to the manager/owner/person in charge and let them know your level of dissatisfaction.

You know what to do from there
Old 09-03-08, 10:43 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

This exact thing happened to me about 2 years ago. Save yourself a ton of time and frustration and just order the replacement lock nut, and take it all to another (good) shop. You could sit there and complain, but in the end you're only wasting your own time, and it'll take longer for them to order your replacement lug nut. This is why I always do anything and everything that I can possibly do to my car myself. I only take my car to a shop if I don't have the tools or expertise to do it myself. It's also why I keep a torque wrench in my trunk...

Javier
Old 09-03-08, 10:53 PM
GFMIS250
Rookie

Whats the best torque wrench out there thats not a **** load of money that is reliable if there is such a thing out there lol. Links?

OP, I would do what the savy javy said, and just save your own time and order a new one and take everything to a new shop. GL

Quick Reply: I'm extremely bent up and I need a voice of reason