IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is 250 / Bmw 328

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 07:41 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Is 250 / Bmw 328

I m debating b/w the IS 250 (maybe even the 350 depends how good the deal is from the dealer) and the BMW 328 (2009 model) touring / wagon. I know one is a sedan and the other is a wagon. I like the wagon because of the kids and sometimes costco and stuff. I am not sure about the reliability of the BMW though. The ones who own the IS 250 / 350, are there any rattles or concerns / hick ups that you are experiencing w/ your Lexus? the price is the 328 touring (w/ the options like Navi / xenon / keyless go / HiFi) comes to about the same as the IS350 loaded. IS350 has more power but that isn't too much of a 'wonder' and that is the reason why i'm thinking of the IS250 instead..unless Lexus offers a great deal on the 350. the IS250 isn't a direct comparison to the BMW 3... but hte IS350 is close enough. The 2009 BMW 3 has a new navi w/ a bigger screen and a newer interface. While that in the IS isn't. ANother thing is that the Xenons / HID is a must have gadget for me. Seems to me that the HIDs on the BMW is brigther (more coverage on the road) than the Lexus...I wonder why Lexus can't do a better job in the optics. the new bmw 3 has the LED tails (i think only signal lights though) while that on the IS seems to be just regular old fashioned bulb (correct me if i'm wrong)? ANy suggestions / thoughts b/w the 2 is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-27-08, 07:55 AM
bhp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then buy a BMW if you think it is a better car.
Old 08-27-08, 08:04 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are even remotely thinking you want a wagon then you should DEF go with that! There is no way the IS is going to be large enough for you. Its a very small car.
Old 08-27-08, 08:06 AM
inwood
Lead Lap

Test drive both of them and see which one you like better. I myself have never been a fan of BMW interiors. I have a 250 and the only negative things I have to say about it is that lacks power and the rear seating is pretty cramped.
Old 08-27-08, 08:20 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

Default my opinion

My GF has a 335xi (the first TWIN TURBO BMW ever made)

ITS FAST, REAL FAST. I like driving it alot....BUT

sitting in my GF bmw is like being "on the job" not because its fast, but because it is so damn uncomfortable. Im not a big guy, but i like to "nig" out the seat and relax while i drive. The BMW is the MOST uncomfortable car i have ever been in.

I been driving Mercedes all my life, and had a passat 5 years ago.

The lexus is THE MOST comfortable car i have ever had. The side view mirrors are big so you actually see through them! The seats in my IS250 are like sitting on my couch at home! I LOVE IT!

Though i wish i had gotten the 350 for the power, the AWD of the 250 is a nessecity for New Jersey.

ALSO! my gf bmw has had a decent amount of problems.

Its a lease which we took over from her cousin, and he kept the car in almost showroom condition. It looked brand new when we took it, we had the tires blow 4 times. 17 Inch wheels, nothing special, driving it NO DIFFERENT than i drive my IS250.

Also the suspension got messed up on the front left wheel...for a 50 thousand dollar car it sure doesnt feel like it.

I WOULD GO WITH THE LEXUS, the only selling point for the bmw is if you get the faster model. Not to mention BMW's are ALL OVER THE ROAD. Its like joining the pack having one.

Get the Lex bro, you wont regret it!
Old 08-27-08, 08:20 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sedan to Sedan the 328 is not worth it, it doesn't even have projector lenses for the lights nor the angel eyes, nor the leather seats, nor the 6 disk cd player, nor the 18" rims, nor the keyless entry... but it does cost as much as the Lexus

If you want a wagon then don't consider the IS
Old 08-27-08, 08:49 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

if your looking for a wagon, get teh wagon. The IS is a small car, and could not compare with a wagon on cargo space. But i agree with above, my neighbor has a 335xi and friend has a 550i and i think the interiors are both very uncomfortable and ugly. The stereo and plastic/vinyl looks cheap and the seats are nowhere near as soft as my IS's. Granted the bmw's are 'the true driving machine', but my neighbor bought hers brand new, and the check engine light was on within the first 2 months (the driver was a 40+ yr old mother so she wasnt exactly beating on the car either). and dont say the 350's power isn't exactly a wonder!
Old 08-27-08, 09:16 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

i think in your situation you're better off with the 328 wagon, the IS is a very small car, and it will probably not suit your needs especially costco. If you're looking for a more pratcial car, definitly bmw, for realiability, then IS no doubt about that. Don't worry about the HID's too much, people with halogen light dont' have problem with seeing at night, the hid we have is more than enough. the 350 is a very fast car, very comparable to the 335i. for people that say the 335i is faster, yes it is, but can you feel the difference between the two? the difference between the 2 is like .2 seconds or something, i dont' think anyone is going to find a difference unless they are strictly about numbers and take their cars to the track a lot
Old 08-27-08, 09:51 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

audi a4 avant nuff said, the 2.0t has more power than the 250 and more torque and its mod friendly (211 hp) basicly with a chip and exhaust you can bump that to 260 (apr chip + exhaust ( 211hp in the b8)) imo it looks fantastic
Old 08-27-08, 10:23 AM
z32
Intermediate

Hey all, thank you for all the info. We also looked at the A4 Avant before but decided not to due to the 'fast depreciation' - small factor (well not that we trade cars / lease cars every 4 years or so...we actually plan on keeping the car for 10 years +), but the reliability is a very important factor since i don't want my wife to have a maulfunction vehicle on her way to drop off the kids for school. Lexus / Toyota are very very reliable (so are hondas),as w/ BMW, we've heard so-so. ANd yes the Lexus seats are awesome, most european vehicles, the way they build the seats are very stiff and edgy, while the japanese are much more plush while supportive enough. Leather is also very high qty on the Lexus than other car makers..can't beat that. The size on the IS is the issue. If it's just my wife and kid will be 'ok' but once we hit Costco, we'll probably have to take the minivan (Odyssey) but that vehicle also getting old (9 years so far) and will be replaced in maybe 2 more years. That is why we looked into the BMW 328 wagon. The Lexus RX (new model coming out) should be nice too but I don't like buying first year production. Toyota Venza (a bit different category) is also nice, but Xenon is a 'must have' gadget on our feature list and we aren't sure if the Venza will offer Xenon headlights. Price is awesome though...probably under 30k for a V6 3.5ltr Venza. But we are leaning towards the Lexus over Toyota..yeah they are the same company..just different luxurious 'feel' to it. SInce we plan on buying the vehicle sometime in december, we have plenty of time. Maybe more info will be released for the LExus RX, which we think could be just 5k or so more than the IS but much less than the GS. Lexus always has that 'decemeber to remember' or something like that during the last month of the yeah, and that is why we plan on buying our vehicles around that time.
Old 08-27-08, 10:36 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

omg i forgot to mention it and dont know if you have thought of this...

THE KEYLESS ENTRY IS AMAZING!

you touch the door handle and the door opens! I DUNNO IF THE OTHER CARS OFFER THIS BUT YOUR WIFE WILL BANG YOU EXTRA HARD JUST FOR THIS FEATURE!!!

when she first experiences NOT HAVING TO FIND THE KEY!!! plus the air conditioned seats ARE WOOT WOOT!!!!

true there is not much space in the back seat...i wanted a 2 door so for me its perfect, i move my seats 100% back and feel like im in a 2 seater.

so that might be a big issue for you!

im not a fan of wagons/hatchbacks..i dont think theres anything uglier than a wagon/hatchback. besides a pt cruiser (i just threw up 2x in my mouth, once while writing and 2nd time while reading what i wrote)

Though my other choice was a camry, reliable and almost a lexus!

Plus the camry would be a good fit for kids.

I would strangle my kids if they messed up my leather, good thing i dont have kids!

good luck in choosing!
Old 08-27-08, 10:54 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

test drive both.....and decide.....
Old 08-27-08, 12:25 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

The back seats dont fold down, so that might be also a turn off for you on the IS. Maybe look at the ES? more room...FWD though...maybe look at the '09 RX, should be able to get a good price. I agree with everyone else, the IS is kind of a small car for what you seem to need it for.
Old 08-27-08, 05:47 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

In '06, I sold my '97 ES 300 with 90K miles that in 10 years only had a problem of a small oil leak and an emissions part replaced. I was tired of it and had wanted a new BMW for a while. I got a new '06 325i and loved the handling but did not like the very rough ride on SF Bay Area roads with the Sport package. It got worse- the engine made a whistling noise that one dealer kept saying was normal (I knew it wasn't) so I took it to the dealer where I bought it. They had the car for 2 months (5th time in the shop in 10 months for other squeeks and rattles as well) plus had 4 tire repairs for their sucky run flats and I told them they had to buy it back under the CA Lemon Law. I took the money and the same day bought an '08 IS 250 with more equipment for 6000 less (went to Spain for 2 weeks and bought a big screen TV). I sometime miss the extra power and go kart handling but I am much more comfortable, the power and handling of the Lexus is more than adequate for my driving (no track days) and the only time I have gone to the dealer was for an oil change- YEAH!
Old 08-27-08, 09:40 PM
z32
Intermediate

Appreciate all the info guys! ..thx
Will keep u posted on which we'll end up buying.

Quick Reply: Is 250 / Bmw 328