IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

JDM LED mirror covers installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 06:05 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JDM LED mirror covers installed

Finally got my mirror covers installed. Thanks to Passu2 (Mike) and especially to Albert at the Wheel Supply for all the hard work wiring it up cleanly. It just took a good 8 hours to figure where to tap the wire. But he can do it in probably under a hour now...

The tip is the 2 wires under the driver side door sill. If you have a voltmeter you can find the wires fairly quickly. No need to run it all the way to the engine bay to the ECU as in the previous DIY guide from Passu2.

Here's some night pics i just took...

4 amber LED's

Both sides with hazards

Next up: Lexon Roof spoiler...

EDIT: Installation pictures available on page 5 of this thread.

Wire colors under the door sill is as follow:
Originally Posted by blk250
I did the installation for my car, and thanks to this thread I was able to use the driver side wires. Follow passnu2, I ground the wire to the frame, there is a ground bolt under neat the carpet(on driver side). Then I connect the driver's side to the light green (medium wire size, once you open you will know,)and the passenger side to a red color (also medium size...)
You need to have a volt meter, or LED to do the probing while turning the signal. In my case, I use the LED connect the neg. to ground and the pos. connect to a needle , then poking the wires..
There are some red, white, green wires always ON, and the LED does not blink. Once you hit the right green wire, the LED will blink.
Here is the pix of the green wire, the red wire should be close to this.

Last edited by XprincoX; 08-04-08 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-18-08, 06:07 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey looks pretty good
Old 07-18-08, 06:15 PM
DLam
Lead Lap

that looks nice im interested in those mirror covers too but no money
Old 07-18-08, 06:18 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets see them lit up!
Old 07-18-08, 06:22 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

damn ..very clean

Wow! I'm getting my led mirror covers & paint them in a few weeks. Cant wait. Can you provide more detail on where exactly he tap the wires to? Or may be take some pics on where your wires are . You mentioned there is a wire on the driver side, where did he tap/wire the passenger side mirror to? Or if there is another wire on the passenger side and underneath the door sill as well? Thanks in advance dude.

Mikey (passnu2), can you help me with the install once I get them painted. Too bad, your DIY guide is gone. I wish I live close to your town, so you could install them for me in your gargage

Last edited by NOVAGFC350; 07-18-08 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 06:25 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

nope we made the mistake of assuming there was a wiring on the passenger side too, but apparently BOTH wires are on the driver side. Learned the lesson the hard way and had to take it all apart to run the wiring to the driver side.

I forget the exact color of the wiring. It's easier to find it with a voltmeter to be sure. I think it was like green/white and red/white... i forget. We tried alotta combinations to get it to work correctly...
Old 07-18-08, 06:29 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

If you kindly take a pic of it-the wire when you have a chance. Did he run the passenger side's wire under the carpet and all the way to the driver side door sill? I'm really curious and eagerly want to find out how he runs the wires for you on both sides.

Originally Posted by XprincoX
nope we made the mistake of assuming there was a wiring on the passenger side too, but apparently BOTH wires are on the driver side. Learned the lesson the hard way and had to take it all apart to run the wiring to the driver side.

Last edited by NOVAGFC350; 07-18-08 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 06:30 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Very very nice!

Your car looks great with them!

Mike is like the LED mirror cover guru LOL

Great tip! You can save yourself some trouble if you don't have to run the wires to the engine bay like I did.
Old 07-18-08, 06:33 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NOVAGFC350
If you kindly take a pic of it-the wire when you have a chance. Did he run the wire under the carpet and all the way to the driver side door sill?
everything is neatly taped up under the door sill. We originally were trying to tap it under the dash but the 2 outside leds would stay constant all the time. So we finally found the right wires under the door sill wire bundle. It's specifically the bundle leading to the trunk.

Albert didn't wanna do it "ghetto style" running the bare wire under the fenders. lol
Old 07-18-08, 06:37 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XprincoX
everything is neatly taped up under the door sill. We originally were trying to tap it under the dash but the 2 outside leds would stay constant all the time. So we finally found the right wires under the door sill wire bundle. It's specifically the bundle leading to the trunk.

Albert didn't wanna do it "ghetto style" running the bare wire under the fenders. lol
I love those kind of installers, \\\ What is the voltage of this wire if you can recall?

Last edited by NOVAGFC350; 07-18-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 06:43 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

i don't know... i remember the installer saying it only drew less then 4amps so you didn't need the included inline fuses.
Old 07-18-08, 07:33 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

looks good. looks like u got the mod bug bad like meeh hahahaha. I just got coilovers for a nice slam. Im a lil scared on wiring, did the mirrors come painted?
Old 07-18-08, 08:05 PM
Mr.JPG
Pole Position

where is the best place to order the LED mirror again
Old 07-18-08, 08:19 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice!!!!!!!!!With this types of threads I cant wait until I get mine

PS. Hi Mike!!!
Old 07-18-08, 08:25 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Wow some good info. There are wires we can tap on the drivers side. good stuff. Will definitely help me when I install mine. So how exactly did you run the passenger side wires? Did you run it through the carpet inside car?

Quick Reply: JDM LED mirror covers installed