IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My transmission went caput IS250 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 09:33 AM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My transmission went caput IS250 2007

I was driving alone the freeway when I noticed my rpm shot up with the slightest touch on the gas pedal. My speed did not increase and stay constant around 60 miles when my rpm is up at 4.5K

I took the nearest exist and shut off the car. Start up the car, and I get the dreaded CHECK VSC message and the engine light came on as well as the VSC. Called the dealership and brought it in during lunch time. There were many error codes they don't know about. Some points to the transmission. They're waiting for more information from Lexus Corp. Service adviser said a new transmission would most likely happen.

On my way to the dealership. I was driving no more than 70 miles when my RPM is at 5.5K. I watch as my gas meter slowing creeps to the left on my 10 mile trip. The car drives fine at 50mph or below. Once I hit 60, the car is rough. Anyone have this problem before?

I've tried some of the tricks for the CHECK VSC. Like gas cap, and to smell to see if raw gas has gotten into the oil. That did not take care of the warning lights.

Update: Forgot to mention. I have 20K ODO with regular routine oil changes and nothing else. Also bone stock.

Last edited by kqt2ktval; 03-28-08 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 10:13 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2007 250 as well. I have not experienced anything like this before. I do however get the occasional hard shift sometimes. I thought the 250 and the 350 had the same tranny, don't they?
Old 03-28-08, 10:32 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

What gear was it on? I had an issue like that before but that was when I accidently shifted to pedal mode and it locks at 4.
Old 03-28-08, 10:41 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your tranny is a goner! Had this happen in another make car years ago and went thru 4 of them...They will fix it under warranty and probably take about a week.
Old 03-28-08, 10:47 AM
kqt2ktval
Driver

I assume it should be at 6th gear. I was not in manual mode. I switch to manual mode on the freeway thinking it was a fluke and that it will go away, but it didn't. In manual mode. I switch between 4th, 5th and 6th gear with no change in speed. I did not check the display screen to see what gear it was. It didn't cross my mine to do that. My car did not sped up even when the RPM was getting close to redline. The car is still at the dealership.

I don't know what kind of repair will be needed till I get my car back. I will keep you guys posted. It just blows my mind, when this happens to a year old car. I'm glad it did since it's still under warranty. I haven't found any similar posts on this website, so looks like it's just 1 in a million.

**** I drive normal and feather the gas pedal to save gas, in no may have I abuse the this car on or off road. I hit redline once to see how it feels to go to 3 digits for a few secs. ****
Old 03-28-08, 10:54 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kqt2ktval
I assume it should be at 6th gear. I was not in manual mode. I switch to manual mode on the freeway thinking it was a fluke and that it will go away, but it didn't. In manual mode. I switch between 4th, 5th and 6th gear with no change in speed. I did not check the display screen to see what gear it was. It didn't cross my mine to do that. My car did not sped up even when the RPM was getting close to redline. The car is still at the dealership.

I don't know what kind of repair will be needed till I get my car back. I will keep you guys posted. It just blows my mind, when this happens to a year old car. I'm glad it did since it's still under warranty. I haven't found any similar posts on this website, so looks like it's just 1 in a million.

**** I drive normal and feather the gas pedal to save gas, in no may have I abuse the this car on or off road. I hit redline once to see how it feels to go to 3 digits for a few secs. ****
I really think they will replace it for you. Only way to find out is thru time and see if others start to have this same problem. This was a HUGE problem on the Acura TLS in 03?? and all TL models thru 06 that i am aware of. I used to Lease these for work thru a Buddy and on Average around 20k miles they would see the car in for service. I was at an Acura event where they spoke about the Issues and that they where working on them? Funny how you never saw this in any articles on this car? I sure hope with the new TLS that they replaced that tranny to hold up.

Please do keep us posted as i am curious now if i will run into this problem all over again. Ugh...
Old 03-28-08, 11:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
I have a 2007 250 as well. I have not experienced anything like this before. I do however get the occasional hard shift sometimes. I thought the 250 and the 350 had the same tranny, don't they?
Negative-

IS250 RWD- A960E
(shared with 2006 GS300)

IS250 AWD- A760H
(shared with 2006 GS300 and 2007 GS350)

IS350- A761E
(shared with 04-06 LS430, 06-07 GS430, and 06-07 SC430)
Old 03-28-08, 11:51 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, What are the differences between them?
Old 03-28-08, 12:09 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
I really think they will replace it for you. Only way to find out is thru time and see if others start to have this same problem. This was a HUGE problem on the Acura TLS in 03?? and all TL models thru 06 that i am aware of. I used to Lease these for work thru a Buddy and on Average around 20k miles they would see the car in for service. I was at an Acura event where they spoke about the Issues and that they where working on them? Funny how you never saw this in any articles on this car? I sure hope with the new TLS that they replaced that tranny to hold up.

Please do keep us posted as i am curious now if i will run into this problem all over again. Ugh...
I went throught 4 transmissions for my 99 Honda Accord (V6).....
Old 03-28-08, 12:18 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2

A lady I use to work with had gone through 2 trannys on her 2002 Acura coupe under warrenty and she did not drive hard at all. I guess this happens and I sincerely hope this is a fluke thing on the ISX50's.
Old 03-28-08, 01:04 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickin8
I went throught 4 transmissions for my 99 Honda Accord (V6).....
Listen to this..

i think the years are accurate??

03 TLS...5 trans, only had the car for 1.5 years and approx 40k miles. I heard rumors that the cars where locking up and that some one had the car flip on the expressway at high speeds. Traded in when the new body came out 04/05? and was given a credit from Acura District for the new one and was washed out of my lease. Loved the look of the new one. Reminded me of the BMW 5 series a lot. I was the first one for them to replace the trans and went thru 3 on this car? It wasnt a bad car all around but Acura never changed that trans...i found out from the techs they did a minor change to gear 2 that didnt work. My buddy lost my business and i got the Audi S4 and miss that thing. Night and day difference in the car payment and got rid of that for the Lexus. I dont think our tranny is that great with how it feels on my car with 16k miles.

Guess time will tell...
Old 03-28-08, 03:28 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I hope this is an isolated failure.

Keep us updated on this and what the dealer says.
Old 03-28-08, 04:10 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I hope this is an isolated failure.

Keep us updated on this and what the dealer says.
Will do. In the meantime, my beater is a fully loaded RX350 for the next few days.
Old 03-28-08, 05:42 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

my shifts are kinda rough and i got 23k almost 24k on my car.. hope the tranny gives out so i can get a new one lol
Old 03-28-08, 09:08 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

when my tranny is cold it dues not like to shift in to 6th gear.

Quick Reply: My transmission went caput IS250 2007