IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FAQ: Official ISx50 NON-Nav to Nav Swap. Read this FIRST if you want to do the swap!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 11:11 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truciet
the non-ml navi screen has the blue plug...

the main question is...will the ML dvd changer's audio/power cable plug and play? the ML uses a different amp and has 14 speakers...

so is it possible to swap a ML dvd changer into a non-ML navi by replacing the changer only...or will it require getting the amp, speakers, and possibly different wire harnesses?
no it will not require getting the amp, i did the retrofit without swapping my amp and my DVD works perfectly, sound and everything. the only thing you need is that cable, the white plug at the bottom of the unit is for the digital audio to the amp, which will not be used in the swap, the blue plug on the bottom far left will be used for the AUX port.
Old 04-01-09, 11:14 PM
Lohus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
Yes, you can have nav with a backup camera and no park assist. The body panel is like $800, but might be able to remove the stock panel and install the camera, not sure haven't tried.
You mean the backup camera connects directly to the head monitor unit?
Old 04-01-09, 11:23 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

yes sir, you just have to tap into the reverse wire and the rest goes directly into the headunit.
Old 04-01-09, 11:24 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lohus
You mean the backup camera connects directly to the head monitor unit?
yeah, you just have to tap into the reverse wire.
Old 04-01-09, 11:32 PM
Lohus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
yes sir, you just have to tap into the reverse wire and the rest goes directly into the headunit.
Are you sure? Because on the techdocs I've understood that camera gives the analog NTSC output, and headunit needs to have digital GVF input.

Headunit also needs some signal, to switch to the image from the backup-camera when the "reverse" is on. Camera also powered up by +6volts.

Or there may be two different headunits, one for digital GFV input from camera, and one for analog NTSC input? I am very doubt that camera outputs digital signal. If it is so, than it is possible to use any after market camera (with better angle and sensitivity)?

P.S. BTW, on my original non-nav unit, I've got AUTO recirculate button (when the outside air is dirty, the system automatically turns on recirculation), but on my nav screen, there is no such button, does that means that the auto recirculation system will not work? Or it is possible to activate that function from touch screen menu?

P.P.S. What about amplifier? What I would need to change in order to get voice guidance from navi?

P.P.P.S. Can you help with making custom harness? Here on background of the picture I could see some printed documents with that info. Can you share ICQ number?

Last edited by Lohus; 04-02-09 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 10:30 PM
Lohus
Pole Position

UP! Waiting for the answer!
Old 04-04-09, 05:25 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Are you sure? Because on the techdocs I've understood that camera gives the analog NTSC output, and headunit needs to have digital GVF input.

Headunit also needs some signal, to switch to the image from the backup-camera when the "reverse" is on. Camera also powered up by +6volts.

Or there may be two different headunits, one for digital GFV input from camera, and one for analog NTSC input? I am very doubt that camera outputs digital signal. If it is so, than it is possible to use any after market camera (with better angle and sensitivity)?

P.S. BTW, on my original non-nav unit, I've got AUTO recirculate button (when the outside air is dirty, the system automatically turns on recirculation), but on my nav screen, there is no such button, does that means that the auto recirculation system will not work? Or it is possible to activate that function from touch screen menu?

P.P.S. What about amplifier? What I would need to change in order to get voice guidance from navi?

P.P.P.S. Can you help with making custom harness? Here on background of the picture I could see some printed documents with that info. Can you share ICQ number?
The camera connects directly to the J51 connector. Im not familiar with all the signals, someone else will have to answer that question.

It may be possible to use an alternative camera, since its only a four wire tap, i haven't tried, in addition i did not hook mine up because the camera and the trunk lid area is rather expensive and an aftermarket camera will not look OEM.

The AUTO recirculate button on the nav unit is on the unit itself not on the screen. its next to the OFF button, but i may be mistaken, i think that is what you're talking about.

Voice guidance is on the NAV amp itself, which means you will need to purchase an AMP that was pulled from a NAV installed IS. You might want to make sure they include the wiring harnesses (some or hard to replicate) because it will not be a direct swap. The NAV amp has different connectors that go to the NAV unit. Doing that is going to be pretty pricey, you would of done better buying a car with NAV installed.

I will be more than welcome to help you make a harness or sell you one of mine, since i made two. Making the harness from scratch is pretty pricey. the connectors ordered from lexus are like $10, which do not include the terminals, which lexus also sells for $10 a piece. i ended up purchasing the entire dash wiring harness.
Old 04-04-09, 11:58 PM
Lohus
Pole Position

I have all the connectors with wires (ALL! connectors that are connected to the head unit), I just need to know, where (in what points and to which wires) I need to connect them? And whats the difference in connectors between non-nav car and nav car.

I've also bought the NAVI AMP with wiring, here is the photo:

But I'am pretty sure, that there is no need to change the AMP, cause on toyota ETC, there only 2 amplifier's partnumbers - one 86280-53110 for 13 speakers, and one 862800W360 for 14 speakers marklev. No special NAV or NON-NAV amps. On the wiring diagrams (from techdoc) the only difference between NAV and NON-NAV connections to the AMP are the 15 (II1+) & 14 (II1-) contacts on the P30 connectors which are connected to the J51 21(IVO-) & 22 (IVO+) connectors on the Multi-display. I've checked mine, and it has the same connectors except there no 15&14 terminals there (on the wiring, not on the amp).

As far, as I understood, I need to connect: On J50 - 14 SPEED SENSOR (Speedometer?), 23 PARKING BRAKE (Just ground it), 13 REVERSE (Where?), 19 SEUC (WHATS THIS?), 7 TC (WHATS THIS?), 2&1 (BAT+ACC) CAN GET FROM The Radio Receiver Assembly but where I can get - 3 IGnition? And what about 16&15(CMP+-)? My connect doesnt have these terminals.

On J51 - 18&17 CAN GET FROM The Radio Receiver Assembly, 9-10-11 - Microphone to the lighter assembly. My upper light assembly has these wires, but where I can find another end?

And finally - what about CLOCK+AIRBAG+SEATBELT+EMERGENCY_BUTTON connector?

P.S. Where did you situated the OEM GPS antenna? I know that it is somewhere near the central speaker place, but how to get there (air pipe prevent access to that place)?

P.P.S. NAVIHACK: What is the difference between NOT connecting SPEED wire to the MONITOR and to the NAVI unit? If I dont connect it to the NAVI, I can enter address while driving, but if I dont connect to the MONITOR, what I will get?

P.P.P.S. About AUTO recirculate button: I know that it is the hardware button, but the problem is that my old non-nav unit has this button, but my new nav unit DONT! From the photos on ebay I understood that AUTO recirculate button have only those screens that comes with mark lev. audio!

You can send wiring info to my mail: afterme gmail.com

Last edited by Lohus; 04-05-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-05-09, 03:50 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

I am not done with my wiring diagram, that's why i have not posted it yet, it's a lot of work and to get the illustrations done is taking awhile, in addition my car is in the shop because someone hit me, so i can't actually take any pics or give an update.

In addition my SRS light came on after the install. I will let you know if this is solved by a simple reset or if I will have to go back to stock. I will keep you updated on that.

The pic above doesn't look like like a ML unit, are you sure its ML?

There is a big difference between the non nav wiring harness and the nav wiring harness, probably about 30+ wires. here's a link that shows the difference https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...head-unit.html when you're doing the swap most of the wires from the connectors are soldered together and then go to the original wire loom.

"On J51 - 18&17 CAN GET FROM The Radio Receiver Assembly, 9-10-11 - Microphone to the lighter assembly. My upper light assembly has these wires, but where I can find another end?"

What, you lost me? 17 and 18 is for the A/C

The clock and emergency button are moved to the J54 connector. I don't think the airbag and seat belt is tapped into the Nav Unit, again I could be wrong, but I did not come across any indications that it is connected to the NAV unit. I believe my SRS light came on because i disconnected the negative battery terminal when doing the install and i should not have.

P.S. techinfo.toyota.com has a detailed description on how to install the GPS antenna, I currently haven't installed mine because my car is in the shop, but I did take a look when I installed my unit. I will be placing my gps antenna in the center speaker area because I do not have a center speaker. The wires will travel above the air pipe (that white plastic thingy) because its a little space above it, if you push up on the insulation a little bit. since you're installing the center speaker, i would suggest you read up on that installation, at techinfo.toyota.info, subscribe to it for the month you plan on doing the install because you're going to need it believe me.

P.P.S. I don't know but you can try and let us all know what happens. When I did mine I didn't try every avenue because its a long process and a lot of wires. The NAV hack is simple and well put, here's the page https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...en-moving.html My guess is if you don't connect it you will not be able to watch DVD's etc. while moving.

P.P.P.S. I don't really understand what you are asking. You said that your nav system is missing that recirculate button? In addition, what do you mean that the auto recirculate button has only those screens that comes with mark lev. audio, maybe someone that has a OEM ML system can help you out there. I have a ML headunit, but i did not connect the digital sound output, because i figured you had to have the ML amp.

Last edited by 350PsDMeuP; 04-05-09 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-05-09, 10:08 PM
Lohus
Pole Position

No, I dont have ML unit, and I never told that I have.
17 & 18 terminals on J51 connector are for TX3+ & TX3-
Could you send me info that you have at this moment? Info that tqlla3k probably sent you?
P.S. SRS light is probably because of the disconnection of the passenger SRS info screen.
Old 04-05-09, 11:48 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AznJason
Is this going to cover getting a ML DVD Player to work with a non-ML system too?
Same question here!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-09, 09:16 AM
Lohus
Pole Position

350PsDMeuP
Well, it would be great, if you could share with me at least those information, that you have at present moment, cause I have my car disassembled and I have to finish the install in next few days.

Or, at least could your help me with the following problems:

J53 (Clock connection)
PIN 1 - ACAN > BODY ECU - What is that wire for? Just to synchronize time on the old clock with monitor?
PIN 8 - PBEW > CombinationMeter - What is that for?

J50 (Monitor wire)
PIN 7 - TC > DLC3 - What is that for?
PIN12 - GREEN COLOUR WIRE & PIN11 - WHITE COLOUR WIRE - What are these wires for? There no info about them on techdoc. But I have them on my J50 connection.

And, if you know (or remember) what are the points where it is simplest way to connect these wires in the car?
Old 04-06-09, 07:21 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

350PsDMeuP
Well, it would be great, if you could share with me at least those information, that you have at present moment, cause I have my car disassembled and I have to finish the install in next few days.

Or, at least could your help me with the following problems:

J53 (Clock connection)
PIN 1 - ACAN > BODY ECU - What is that wire for? Just to synchronize time on the old clock with monitor?
PIN 8 - PBEW > CombinationMeter - What is that for?

J50 (Monitor wire)
PIN 7 - TC > DLC3 - What is that for?
PIN12 - GREEN COLOUR WIRE & PIN11 - WHITE COLOUR WIRE - What are these wires for? There no info about them on techdoc. But I have them on my J50 connection.

And, if you know (or remember) what are the points where it is simplest way to connect these wires in the car?
Lohus,

I will help you when i get my car back, I can not give you accurate information without looking at what i did on my car. Sorry, but if you quote me on any of this information, it may be wrong and cause damage to you and your vehicle, which i do not want to be responsible for. Sorry man, I am supposed to get my car back Friday, its been in the shop for three weeks (long story- someone hit me).

In regards to J53:
All of J53 wires are routed to the J54 connector, I am unsure of their responsibilities, those taps can be done by wire color to wire color.

J50
P7 is Diagnostic Wire goes to J54 P4
P12 is Illumination and so are all the wires that color
P11 is Illumination as well

These wires will connect to the original harness in your car, most of the original connectors will not be used, DO NOT just start cutting harnesses, you will have a big problem on YOUR HANDS.
Old 04-07-09, 02:03 PM
Lohus
Pole Position

What about park assist system (I have parking sonars) but when I select Reverse, nothing happens on the monitor. Is that OK?

And what about J53 PIN 1 - ACAN > BODY ECU - What is that wire for? Just to synchronize time on the old clock with monitor? There no such wire on the old J54 connector.
Old 04-07-09, 03:28 PM
Lohus
Pole Position

What is the partnumber for the steering wheel buttons for navi edition?

Quick Reply: FAQ: Official ISx50 NON-Nav to Nav Swap. Read this FIRST if you want to do the swap!