IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hit a Pothole Last Night (Have a Bubble on my Tire) :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 12:19 PM
phillies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a Pothole Last Night (Have a Bubble on my Tire) :(

I hit a large pothole with my IS250 last night. It sounded bad but didn't think much of it until this morning when I saw a large bubble on one of my tires. Hopefully there's no damage elsewhere on the car. I doubt that'll be covered under the warranty.....
Old 03-25-08, 12:26 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phillies
I hit a large pothole with my IS250 last night. It sounded bad but didn't think much of it until this morning when I saw a large bubble on one of my tires. Hopefully there's no damage elsewhere on the car. I doubt that'll be covered under the warranty.....
Welcome to my new "Pot-Hole" club. I blew a Dunlop and then replaced all 4 tires. Then two weeks later, I blew a tire and a rim. At least it was just a tire. Yes, it is an out of pocket expense unless you have the tire/rim warrenty via the dealer. I would go to Discount Tire, I they have them in Jersey. Make sure to get the Tire Certificate so you will be covered. You can buy the warrenty via Discount Tire for your other three tires if you don't have too many miles on them. I am not sure what the cut-off threshold is, but it is well worth it being the cost of a new Dunlop is about $190 for the
17".
Old 03-25-08, 12:47 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

check the suspension and your rim....you might already got a bent one....

and yes, Discount Tire rulz!
Old 03-25-08, 01:18 PM
phillies
Rookie

Think I should take this to my local auto body shop where it will probably be cheaper or might this be something where it's worth taking it back to the Lexus dealership? And I was just there last week for my first oil change.....
Old 03-25-08, 01:30 PM
08mica
Pole Position

Lexus dealership wont do anything for you except double the price of a new tire.

Sucks but this stuff happens. I went through 4 tires in 6K miles on my Audi. Stupid Pirellis. Got 3 bumps in side wall, and 2 nails in sidewalls, one not sure what happened.
Old 03-25-08, 01:49 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Potholes? Cant beat Hawaii.. we are ranked 2nd. Well according to our newspaper.
Old 03-25-08, 01:53 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by phillies
Think I should take this to my local auto body shop where it will probably be cheaper or might this be something where it's worth taking it back to the Lexus dealership? And I was just there last week for my first oil change.....
Unless you have road hazard protection on your tires, the repair is on you. Cheapest route is probably to order a tire from the Tire Rack and have a tire shop (one of Tire Rack's recommended installers) put it on.
Old 03-25-08, 03:32 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Too bad...good luck with the fix.
Old 03-25-08, 07:06 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

alot of people have put down any options of going to the dealership, but depending on how many miles you have on them (and if they were the stock ones) you might get as lucky as i did =p

i went for my 10k mile maintenance and had a bubble in my tires (stock rims and tires at this time).. I told the guy at the counter that i'd like the tech to take a look at it and see if its a problem and needs to be replaced. At the end of the service the guy told me that they had replaced the tire for free and snuck it under warranty (which it shouldnt have been under) since they were surprised that i had a bubble at under 10k miles and felt it could have been a defective tire

from what i've heard i was EXTREMELY lucky, but its worth a shot =p
Old 03-25-08, 08:35 PM
VF84
Pole Position

or u could file a claim against the city with the pothole. take some pictures of the pothole. ur repair cost (check ur rims for signs of a bend and ur alignment). cities will pay up if u provide the proper evidence.
Old 03-25-08, 08:44 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

You can go after the city, county or state to reimburse you for your loss, which ever is responsible for the road. I remember my first engineering manager going after the city of phoenix back it early 1998 for bending his rims when he hit a pot hole. He actual called the cops to have the incident documented and have the lane close so other will not get the same damage. His excuse was it is a safety hazard since people will try to avoid it and this may cause an accident. Yes, they did reimburse him back because if they did not, he was going to court and sue the city. They are suppose to maintain the roads and we as tax payer already pay for this.
Old 03-25-08, 08:51 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is350matic
You can go after the city, county or state to reimburse you for your loss, which ever is responsible for the road. I remember my first engineering manager going after the city of phoenix back it early 1998 for bending his rims when he hit a pot hole. He actual called the cops to have the incident documented and have the lane close so other will not get the same damage. His excuse was it is a safety hazard since people will try to avoid it and this may cause an accident. Yes, they did reimburse him back because if they did not, he was going to court and sue the city. They are suppose to maintain the roads and we as tax payer already pay for this.
I know huh! Where is our tax paying money going? I hate pot holes!
Old 03-26-08, 12:08 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes where is our tax money going
Old 03-26-08, 06:36 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I filed a formal claim for mine with a police report, receipt, 10 pics of the damage on the car and the scene. We'll see if I get reimbursed. Just make sure to fill out all the forms requested from your state, local or muicipal claiment office.
Old 03-26-08, 11:14 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 242 Posts

I suppose that laws may vary in different jurisdictions, but in most places the city isn't liable unless they were given prior notice about the road defect, and didn't correct it within a reasonable amount of time.

Quick Reply: Hit a Pothole Last Night (Have a Bubble on my Tire) :(