14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

I'm debating about which tint I should go with

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 11:22 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $.02 - Don't go with the 3M carbon. Good call on not going too dark...I think it looks tacky. I got my windows professionally done, in which, I was very happy the outcome of my tint. The guy that did my windows said that certain carbons in the tint could affect the electronics in your car...i.e, electronic tire gage, navigation, rear view camera, ect. I would go with the F1 not to exceed 35%.
Old 02-19-08, 11:47 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote goes with Huper Optik. Here is a link to pics of the install on my E.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=334090
Old 02-19-08, 12:56 PM
likwid8
Pole Position

I went F1 50% on mine and really like it. I'm not big on tint, but wanted something to keep the heat out and it really does a good job.
Old 02-19-08, 06:03 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

I personally like the 3M BLACK CHROME 40. You might want to check that out, as it may do exactly what you're looking for.

The only con to the said tint is that it's a little thicker/less maliable than most. Therefore, it's a little harder to conform to the windows. But, if the installer knows what he's doing and has done it on the 2IS before, there shouldn't be any issues.

In terms of quality: I've never heard of the other brands you have listed, but anything automotive with the 3M name is pretty much a sure thing.

Here's mine with the sun facing the rear bumper on a bright and sunny day:
Attached Thumbnails I'm debating about which tint I should go with-spider.jpg  

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-19-08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 06:15 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

And here it is on a more cloudy day. BTW, I have sterling interior.

Like most tints, sometimes it looks completely shaded out, and other times it's completely see-through.
Attached Thumbnails I'm debating about which tint I should go with-dsc_0154.jpg  
Old 02-19-08, 09:32 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Let me correct your poll. LLumar does not make a ceramic tint. I specifically requested ceramic to my dealer/installer, and when the salesman told me they used LLumar, I checked with LLumar to make sure the dealer used the right type, since LLumar has many grades of tint. But none at the website said ceramic, so I contacted LLumar.

Originally Posted by My e-mail to LLumar
To: llumar
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 2:29 AM
Subject: Llumar auto tint
Re: http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/car-styler.html

My dealer says they use your ceramic tint. Which line of tint of yours is ceramic? And what VLT% are available?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by E-mail response from LLumar
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 4:37 PM
Subject: RE: Llumar auto tint

Thanks for your inquiry... CPFilms does not use the term 'ceramic' for any film under the LLumar brand name. We do however have a film not listed on the public website that is misunderstood as a ceramic.

It is called 'Access' (or ATX) and comes in 50,40,30 & 15% VLT. Access is a hybrid technology using a cermet as a solar rejecting component.

Hope this helps,

CPFilms Technical Service Mgr.
Window Film Applications
800.2LLUMAR ext. 3866
***@cpfilms.com
Then I talked to the dealer's Detail Department manager, who said they used LLumaStar (which has a lifetime warranty), and they only heard of an issue for some folks who listen to AM radio. Therefore, since I had already negotiated tint in my price, and LLumar was a respected manufacturer, I let my dealer install the LLumar, instead of me being too **** and running around for an applicator when the car arrived.

I think 35% all around is perfect. I see easily out the windows, and I can see inside the car as I approach. I like my cashmere interior, and I don't mind being visible inside the car -- I'll even waive to people I recognize. In response to a previous poster, front window tinting is a no-no here, only permitted if it comes from the factory like that, except a header strip.
Old 06-20-08, 02:52 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Huper Huper Huper Huper!

The only thing I'd have to say is that the Tint Dude that put them on my car told me because of the curvature of our windows, the ceramic tint might come out with a rainbow effect. It all depends on the skill of the person putting them on your car. It's also gonna take the tinter about 4 hours to do it alone. The only thing that I noticed that was different after I put the tints on was the rear windshield's defroster lines were more visible afterwards. Takes some time getting used to. Otherwise 35% looks great with these tints and it's not too dark or too light. It's the perfect balance and cops haven't looked at my car for more than a split second before pulling my cousin over with the 35% lumars LOL AND his front windows were up too so the cop thought the back windows were too dark with only 35%!!!

anyways, from the outside it's got a nice shine to them and makes the car just that much more classy. If you want I'll send you some pics

Last edited by nabbun; 06-20-08 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-19-08, 11:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
I really hate anything darker than 35%. I can't stand when people install limo tint on the back window and 20% on the side and endup backing into a light pole. I'm sick of dark tint. I like to be in control of my surroundings and I'd like to get some input on this subject. A lot of our IS's glass is already UV protective and I'm looking for options on which is advantageous over the other. I plan on keeping this vehicle for atleast 10 years and scraping off the old tint and installing new stuff is not what im looking for a few years down the line.

I've narrowed the list down to 4 manufacturers. I know that some are rather expensive and others are cheaper and much more common place. I'm wondering if everyone simply jumps in the bandwagon over one being better than the other because someone said so or if they indeed did some research.

I don't care how my tint looks like on the outside of the car as long as it doesn't look like it belongs on some tasteless crap running on 22" wheels. Its tint, not some reflective crap that should unwanted attention to the vehicle.

TIA
-Joe
Good for you for wanting to be safe. I went with the darkest tint my guy offered and I've regretted it since. Once he's available again, I am having it changed lighter. Backing up at night is next to impossible and I know it's only a matter of time before I make a mistake.