IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

thinking of jumping ship to Audi TT...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 11:11 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never had any problems with my audis INXEXISTEN. I miss the hell out of my 05' S4, but I had to get rid of it because it was in a major accident and was never the same afterwards. I also put 60K on a 04' A4 I had and never had any problems with that either.
Old 01-25-08, 11:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep, I'm well aware the reliability of the TT will not be in the same class as lexus....but:

1. I don't use the Lexus as a daily driver anyway.
2. I'd get some type of extended warranty on the TT if I kept it longer than the new car warranty.
Old 01-25-08, 11:24 AM
06Lex350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inxexisten
Audis have numerous mechanical problems far more than even bmw... I rather get a 335i coupe or z4m if I were you...
I agree. Audi has always been a BMW-wannabe to me. I'm not a fan and everyone I know that's had one has regretted it for the simple reason that they have too many problems. If reliability and comfort are not top priorities, get a BMW for sure.
Old 01-25-08, 11:28 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 617 Likes on 427 Posts

I prefer Audis over BMW myself and if you don't need the trunk space or room for 2.5 (because how many full people can really fit in the back of the IS ) then go for it.
Old 01-25-08, 11:55 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
I never had any problems with my audis INXEXISTEN. I miss the hell out of my 05' S4, but I had to get rid of it because it was in a major accident and was never the same afterwards. I also put 60K on a 04' A4 I had and never had any problems with that either.
Wish I could say the same. My '00 S4 turned into a money pit soon after the warranty expired. Aside from incredibly expensive scheduled maintenance (the timing belt replacement cost nearly $1,200 and requires removing the bumper and dismantling the entire front of the car) I had problems with: MAF sensor, tie rod ends, control arms, power window regulators (twice), wheel bearings, blown subwoofer (twice), throttle body boot (three times), turbo diverter valves, fuel sender gasket leak, cruise control switch (fixed myself with contact cleaner), trip computer display gradually losing pixels (just lived with it), and probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I loved driving it, but would never own another Audi that wasn't covered by a warranty.
Old 01-25-08, 12:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Wish I could say the same. My '00 S4 turned into a money pit soon after the warranty expired. Aside from incredibly expensive scheduled maintenance (the timing belt replacement cost nearly $1,200 and requires removing the bumper and dismantling the entire front of the car) I had problems with: MAF sensor, tie rod ends, control arms, power window regulators (twice), wheel bearings, blown subwoofer (twice), throttle body boot (three times), turbo diverter valves, fuel sender gasket leak, cruise control switch (fixed myself with contact cleaner), trip computer display gradually losing pixels (just lived with it), and probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I loved driving it, but would never own another Audi that wasn't covered by a warranty.

I really like the look of the '09 Audi A4 with it's 6.3 inch longer wheelbase,the body is 4.6 inches longer and over 2 inches wider.
After reading your post,I'm not too enthused much anymore.
Old 01-25-08, 12:04 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a nice TT convetibale, but you will open yourself up to the fun of German electrical systems and probably regret getting rid of the Lexus altogether.
Old 01-25-08, 12:45 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The TT looks stunning but if you want to look faster but go slower then go for it. If I wanted a sexy coupe without the reliability problems I'd switch over to a G37 or 335. The TT should be more rare though.
Old 01-25-08, 12:46 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

My dad is thinking about buying one of these new TT's. I like them.
Old 01-25-08, 01:10 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to have to deal with BMW-level reliability, might as well get the genuine article =)
Old 01-25-08, 01:27 PM
ISCjonny
Racer

if your gonna go audi... go A5 or S5.. haha
Old 01-25-08, 01:27 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meefer
If you're going to have to deal with BMW-level reliability, might as well get the genuine article =)
I second this, my good buddy with a 2003 M3 with only 21k on it had it back in the dealer this week for another $1200 electical repair out of his pocket. He is dumping it this week as well. It sits in a heated garage on top of it. Stay clear of German electrical issues.
Old 01-25-08, 01:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by meefer
with the exception of the M3, nothing BMW makes appeals to me AT ALL!
...and the M3 would start at around $60K, so its NOT an option. Z4 looks terrible to me (no offense Z4 owners).

G37 has lost its "edginess" (in looks anyway) to me, so its not really an option either.

actually, a brand new 2007 C6 (with GMS -$2000 rebate) could be had for around the same price as a TT, but the wife doesn't like them for some reason.
Old 01-25-08, 02:49 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What makes you people think that Audi is a bmw wanna be. Heck Audis have superior fit and finish compared to just about any car made. They handle like a dream, and are solid as a brick. I have had 3 of them with no complaints what so ever. I wish I could have afforded and RS4, then I would have gotten one over the Lexus. I do agree though that the new look is kinda something that needs getting used to. The 2002-2005 A4 body style was awesome, especially with the euro grill and headlights.
Old 01-25-08, 03:35 PM
06Lex350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sincityIS
What makes you people think that Audi is a bmw wanna be. Heck Audis have superior fit and finish compared to just about any car made. They handle like a dream, and are solid as a brick. I have had 3 of them with no complaints what so ever. I wish I could have afforded and RS4, then I would have gotten one over the Lexus. I do agree though that the new look is kinda something that needs getting used to. The 2002-2005 A4 body style was awesome, especially with the euro grill and headlights.
Just an opinion. I've never been impressed by Audi and can't see why anyone would buy one over a BMW. When most people think of the major/top luxury brands I think Mercedes, BMW and Lexus are the ones. Audi isn't on most people's list, IMO. Also, I've heard Audi has terrible resale value (could be wrong). That sad, reasonable minds can differ.

Quick Reply: thinking of jumping ship to Audi TT...