IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Normal to have ALOT of rattles at 5k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 02:39 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Yeah, it sounds like the center windshield (where it meets the dash) or the center speaker area. Something right there makes that "rock hitting the windshield/dash" sound every so often.
Old 01-11-08, 02:43 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
^ Yeah, it sounds like the center windshield (where it meets the dash) or the center speaker area. Something right there makes that "rock hitting the windshield/dash" sound every so often.
The noise does get your attention.It seems to happen only once or twice at times but I would love to get rid of it.
Maybe some foam stuck between the center dash and windshield?
Old 01-11-08, 03:00 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, reading previous threads, it seems people have luck stuck foam inside the center speaker area. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on the list to do at some point.

Same goes if you have noises near the center air vents. Pop off the cover and stick some foam behind it.
Old 01-11-08, 04:31 PM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at 21000 and for every rattle I fix another takes its place. Gave up on dealer fixes too.

This car rattles as much as my old Mustang GT.
Old 01-11-08, 05:36 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Turn up the radio and call it a day. My IS350 rattles less than any other one I've driven. Sure it only has about 1500 miles on it right now. The rattles it has are so small I'd care less to fix them. These noises are not worth me removing the dash or tear into major trim stuff like I do at work everyday. I can't mention it to my customers that its not worth it to get in there so we do it for them but my own car I won't get in there since all it will do is later on have another one show up. Its an IS350 not an LS600h so I won't do anything about it. I'm here to enjoy the car not to have it go into the shop every week to have some stupid rattle addressed.

-Joe
Old 01-11-08, 05:44 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
Turn up the radio and call it a day. My IS350 rattles less than any other one I've driven. Sure it only has about 1500 miles on it right now. The rattles it has are so small I'd care less to fix them. These noises are not worth me removing the dash or tear into major trim stuff like I do at work everyday. I can't mention it to my customers that its not worth it to get in there so we do it for them but my own car I won't get in there since all it will do is later on have another one show up. Its an IS350 not an LS600h so I won't do anything about it. I'm here to enjoy the car not to have it go into the shop every week to have some stupid rattle addressed.

-Joe
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you have a pretty dismissive attitude considering the cost of this vehicle (and Lexus' reputation). My previous four vehicles were rattle free, and substantially less expensive than my IS350.

The cost of foam insulation has kept Lexus from retaining a customer in my case. I love the car, but get absolutely pissed every time I drive it and hear rattles coming from every direction. I suspect Lexus has cheapened their entire product line to save a few bucks, given the rattle threads I see on other forums on this site.

Curiously, my wife's Ford is rattle free at three years old. I mention that to Lexus, and they shrug and tell me that all sports cars rattle. I'll remember that when I buy a sports car.

Last edited by 15951; 01-11-08 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 06:06 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Mine rattles like the dickens when I have a nearly empty Coke can in the cupholder. But I pick it up and it's gone. The rattle seems like it's coming from the center "speaker." (I don't have ML). Sometimes I get an occassional rattle, but honestly I am the only one that notices. Nobody else hears it. Dealer, sister, dad, mom, gf, everyone I have given a ride to. They all hear nothing.
Old 01-11-08, 08:04 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

driver B pillar
glove box/dash area
here
for me
Old 01-12-08, 01:49 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

-Crackling/squeaking sound coming from the instrument panel
-Noise from the drivers seat going over bumps / around curves (sometimes)
-A couple different noises from the passenger b-pillar area
-An infrequent ticking sound at the dashboard windshield

The variety, frequency and severity of the noises seems to increase a little bit every week.

I've been able to ignore most of the noises except the instrument panel noises, it is a really obnoxious sound when I'm on the freeway going over bumps. Turning up the radio doesn't help, its gotten too loud! When I'm on the freeway and I pass over some small bumps in the freeway road surface. Sounds like two pieces of styrofoam packing material rubbing together.

Pushing on the panels under around the steering column I can reproduce the sound. I guess I can try to fix that one myself since I know about where it is.
Old 01-12-08, 07:04 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you have a pretty dismissive attitude considering the cost of this vehicle (and Lexus' reputation). My previous four vehicles were rattle free, and substantially less expensive than my IS350.

The cost of foam insulation has kept Lexus from retaining a customer in my case. I love the car, but get absolutely pissed every time I drive it and hear rattles coming from every direction. I suspect Lexus has cheapened their entire product line to save a few bucks, given the rattle threads I see on other forums on this site.
Lexus doesn't set out to build vehicles that rattle, especially by saving a few cents on foam or insulation. A car has thousands of mating surfaces where squeaks and rattles can form. I think the IS has a few areas where minute tolerance mismatches contribute to rattles; essentially mistakes in the original design, and/or problems in the way the parts are assembled on the line. Maybe they have cut back on going to the nth degree to insure these things don't happen in the design phase, or in the assembly procedures. Lexus is aware of these issues, especially on the GS series. Hopefully they'll fix these things on future cars, or suffer the consequences in the marketplace. I think they are a victim of their own success.

FWIW I have zero rattles in my 2006 IS. Lucky? I suppose. It really is a hit or miss affair. It seems you either get a car prone to rattles, or you don't. But I think overall most IS's don't rattle excessively, no small comfort to those owners whose cars rattle.

Last edited by Evitzee; 01-12-08 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-12-08, 08:10 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Lexus doesn't set out to build vehicles that rattle, especially by saving a few cents on foam or insulation. A car has thousands of mating surfaces where squeaks and rattles can form. I think the IS has a few areas where minute tolerance mismatches contribute to rattles; essentially mistakes in the original design, and/or problems in the way the parts are assembled on the line. Maybe they have cut back on going to the nth degree to insure these things don't happen in the design phase, or in the assembly procedures. Lexus is aware of these issues, especially on the GS series. Hopefully they'll fix these things on future cars, or suffer the consequences in the marketplace. I think they are a victim of their own success.

FWIW I have zero rattles in my 2006 IS. Lucky? I suppose. It really is a hit or miss affair. It seems you either get a car prone to rattles, or you don't. But I think overall most IS's don't rattle excessively, no small comfort to those owners whose cars rattle.
I know they don't have an evil plan to cause rattles, but they built cars for 10+ years that had ZERO rattles, and now they do. There has clearly been some increase in tolerance for rattles, and customers like me who purchased this car based on Lexus' reputation are annoyed. Maybe I'm in the minority, but it's the little things that make me look across the street to the other dealer the next time.

You're definitely lucky if you have zero rattles. If you don't have creaking/cracking coming from the center stack, dash ticks and rattles, squeaking coming from odd places, and the occasional loud "POP" coming from nowhere, count your car a miracle. Never sell it, because apparently it was the test mule before they dedided to dumb down their vehicle refinement.
Old 01-12-08, 08:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I know they don't have an evil plan to cause rattles, but they built cars for 10+ years that had ZERO rattles, and now they do. There has clearly been some increase in tolerance for rattles, and customers like me who purchased this car based on Lexus' reputation are annoyed. Maybe I'm in the minority, but it's the little things that make me look across the street to the other dealer the next time.

You're definitely lucky if you have zero rattles. If you don't have creaking/cracking coming from the center stack, dash ticks and rattles, squeaking coming from odd places, and the occasional loud "POP" coming from nowhere, count your car a miracle. Never sell it, because apparently it was the test mule before they dedided to dumb down their vehicle refinement.

Toyota quality has been dropping like a rock.
I had a '07 Camry XLE and the car has fit and finish issues both inside and out.I'm actually happy now hitting that deer which caused me to get rid of the car.
I didn't have any trans issues with my V6 but many Camry owners have along with ES 350 owners.
I think it's Toyota's quest to be #1 that's causing quality issues.
I will try not to buy a US built car by any company in the future.I also hope Lexus gets it together or next time I'm going to give Audi a shot.

BTW,as you may have read,I have that pop thing too.
Old 01-12-08, 09:16 AM
darrelld
Driver

Agreed, I traded a CTS for my IS that had other issues but excessive rattles was not among them.
Old 01-12-08, 07:07 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

24K miles and one rattle by the driver side ac vent/steering column - only when the whole car is really cold (20 degrees F). So finally went to dealer and they fixed it. Only problem, the put their greasy hands on the A pillars. Oh well - at least no more rattle. They also changed the fuel lines during that time (recall) and I didn't even have to ask - they asked me if I wanted my brake pads changed due to excessive dust.
Old 01-12-08, 07:45 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-MIKE
-Crackling/squeaking sound coming from the instrument panel
-Noise from the drivers seat going over bumps / around curves (sometimes)
-A couple different noises from the passenger b-pillar area
-An infrequent ticking sound at the dashboard windshield

The variety, frequency and severity of the noises seems to increase a little bit every week.

I've been able to ignore most of the noises except the instrument panel noises, it is a really obnoxious sound when I'm on the freeway going over bumps. Turning up the radio doesn't help, its gotten too loud! When I'm on the freeway and I pass over some small bumps in the freeway road surface. Sounds like two pieces of styrofoam packing material rubbing together.

Pushing on the panels under around the steering column I can reproduce the sound. I guess I can try to fix that one myself since I know about where it is.
I got really mad today at the noise, it was driving me nuts so I hooked my finger around the panel in the gap between the steering column and panel, and pushed and pulled on the panel roughly, popping the panel partially out, then pushed it back into place, and the noise went away (for now).

Quick Reply: Normal to have ALOT of rattles at 5k miles