IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How To Turn Off Annoying Beeping Of Open Door!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 07:19 PM
JCIS250RWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Turn Off Annoying Beeping Of Open Door!!!

So today I decided to hardwire my new V1 I got for x-mas. I then had the door open when installing and the car would not stop beeping. I pushed the little sensor in the door seem in, and then released it, and to my amazement the beeping stopped. This was very helpful for me and I will definitely use it in the future. I will take a picture tomm when I walk downstairs to show what sensor i'm talking about, although it is a little rubber round piece on the frame near the seat. Sorry if this has already been discovered but i searched and didn't find anything!
Old 12-25-07, 10:00 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's probably because you originally opened the door with the ignition still on. If you turn the car off before opening the door it won't beep.
Old 12-25-07, 11:12 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
That's probably because you originally opened the door with the ignition still on. If you turn the car off before opening the door it won't beep.
I'm not 100%, but it may start beeping after a certain time anyway.

Back to the OP, that's the door "courtesy switch." It turns on power to things like the courtesy lights, doorsills, etc., and the ECU uses it to determine if a door is open. So yes, pushing in this switch will fool it into thinking the door is closed.
Old 12-26-07, 12:14 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duct tape the sensor
Old 12-26-07, 02:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

The easiest thing to do would be to make sure the fob isn't in range. No fob, no beep.
Old 12-26-07, 06:20 AM
JCIS250RWD
Rookie

see thats the thing, you don't have to duct tape the sensor nor hold it in. a single push of it in and then releasing it does the trick. That was what surprised me!
Old 12-26-07, 06:37 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised that the '07 does this since the gerneral consensus in '06 was that this was a software bug. As someone said earlier, the beeping only occurs if the door is opened before the ignition switch is turned off, and won't quit beepiong until the door switch is toggled. If you turn the engine off before openeing the door, it won't beep at all. It would seem that the correct behavior would be for the door chime to sound only until the engine is cut off if the door is opened early.
Old 12-26-07, 11:00 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JCIS250RWD
see thats the thing, you don't have to duct tape the sensor nor hold it in. a single push of it in and then releasing it does the trick. That was what surprised me!
But if you have your ACC on (or whatever it is when you press one on) and your door is open, it would not stop if you just press the sensor once. You would have to hold it to make it stop.
Old 12-27-07, 03:22 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm surprised that the '07 does this since the gerneral consensus in '06 was that this was a software bug. As someone said earlier, the beeping only occurs if the door is opened before the ignition switch is turned off, and won't quit beepiong until the door switch is toggled. If you turn the engine off before openeing the door, it won't beep at all. It would seem that the correct behavior would be for the door chime to sound only until the engine is cut off if the door is opened early.
This beeping is probably from the old days where one could forget a key in the ignition. My Corolla used to be beep if the key was in the ignition and door as opened. With SmartKey cars, the only reason I could think of for the beep is maybe if you open the door and the car is in motion or something that's actually dangerous.
Old 12-27-07, 04:16 PM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
Nope, i have the 07 and it beeps whenever it wants, whether the ignition is on or off.
Old 12-27-07, 06:02 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
Nope, i have the 07 and it beeps whenever it wants, whether the ignition is on or off.
I agree my car does the same, chimes with a mind of its own! Can we make a warranty claim, or is this just like the complaint I had about the RPM dropping suddenly when holding a gear, speed and RPM of 2-3 k? Either way kind of a pain for a Lexus.
Old 07-10-08, 08:32 AM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Question

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
i have the same issue...my car has a driver's side door open chime. it is extremely annoying and beeps whether i open the door with the ignition on or off. it only stops when the door is closed...and if i reopen it...no chime but i guess this is basically the same thing as pushing in the sensor and releasing it. regardless, the chime is inescapably annoying and embarassing whenever passengers and/or passer-bys are near.

is there any permenant fix for this awful chime, like the fix for the seat belt chime
Old 07-10-08, 11:08 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by APBT4Me
i have the same issue...my car has a driver's side door open chime. it is extremely annoying and beeps whether i open the door with the ignition on or off. it only stops when the door is closed...and if i reopen it...no chime but i guess this is basically the same thing as pushing in the sensor and releasing it. regardless, the chime is inescapably annoying and embarassing whenever passengers and/or passer-bys are near.

is there any permenant fix for this awful chime, like the fix for the seat belt chime
Every time you open your door? Obviously, something is wrong with your car. My car never beeps when I open the door unless I open the drivers door before shutting off the car. If the car is off before I open the door, no beep.
Old 07-10-08, 12:10 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

the beeping seems to be a safety system tied in with the electronic steering wheel lock. if you turn off the engine and then open the door, the wheel locks, and no beeping. if you open the door then turn off the engine, the car beeps until someone either closes the door or opens any other door on the car and locks the wheel.
Old 07-10-08, 07:39 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

more interestingly is when i start my car with the seatbelt on and the door open, there is a short chime indicator. sucks. i wish this was fixed.

Quick Reply: How To Turn Off Annoying Beeping Of Open Door!!!