ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Rear Defroster WTF! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/324266-rear-defroster-wtf.html)

Joe Z 12-17-07 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Koz (Post 3129710)
Next time I go in I will have them check it. I drove (25 min ride) to work this morning with the rear all fogged. It did absolutely nothing!

Koz

Side questions?? when was the last time you windexed it??
and when running your heater, where you using inside air? or outside air??

Joe Z

Koz 12-17-07 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Z (Post 3130134)
Side questions?? when was the last time you windexed it??
and when running your heater, where you using inside air? or outside air??

Joe Z

I only use a damp microfiber cloth (yellow-Costco) with only water on it. I tried both w/wo the A/C.

Koz

kindred6ul 12-17-07 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Koz (Post 3130414)
I only use a damp microfiber cloth (yellow-Costco) with only water on it. I tried both w/wo the A/C.

Koz

Thats the problem... Water and cloth isn't enough to break down the oils and condensation inside your car (oils accumilate from your leather conditioning and/or dash treatment). You need something with ammonia to clean the windows. I also read that vinegar can break down the oils in preparation for the ammonia based cleaners. I use eagle one 20/20 and microfiber. Oh BTW i never had a fog problem even while street parking in NJ's sub freezing weather.

ReLexin 12-17-07 12:15 PM

mines fine. only had to use it once though. I remember my Envoy's was horrible.

t.is350.h 12-17-07 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Akatsuki (Post 3127137)
what do you mean? mine works perfecly fine!

Mine also works perfectly fine.

Joe Z 12-17-07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Koz (Post 3130414)

Koz

Try cleaning all your glass windows with windex or automotive equivalent glass cleaner..
I use the FOAM stuff... forgot the name, but Costco carries it...

I didn't understand your response... are you using outside fresh air when running the heat??
the A/C is mainly used when needing to defrost the front windshield quickly...

Joe Z

r4z0r3ck 12-17-07 11:13 PM

the rear defroster is slow and takes about 15 mins to clearly defrost. i park my car on the outside and even in socal i wake up to window dew every morning due to the cold beach weather. so yah i get in my car and drive 15 mins to work and by the time i get to work itll defrost. the side mirrors on the other hand are quick.

Koz 12-18-07 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Z (Post 3130484)
Try cleaning all your glass windows with windex or automotive equivalent glass cleaner..
I use the FOAM stuff... forgot the name, but Costco carries it...

I didn't understand your response... are you using outside fresh air when running the heat??
the A/C is mainly used when needing to defrost the front windshield quickly...

Joe Z

I've been cleaning rear window defrosters for 35 years and never had a problem. If I'm not mistaken, Toyota recommends NOT using any chemical on the defroster. The rear window defroster does NOT need any assistance from the heater to clear the rear window if it is working properly. Also it should be able to melt snow/ice after 10/15 min of use.

To clarify, I tried every combination of inside/outside supply air with/without A/C. Clearly there is something wrong with the defroster. The window doesn't clear until the interior heat reaches the window (30+ minutes).

Koz

nabbun 12-18-07 07:47 AM

perhaps u should talk to your dealer xD

either that or your windows are open.

Joe Z 12-18-07 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Koz (Post 3132239)
I've been cleaning rear window defrosters for 35 years and never had a problem. If I'm not mistaken, Toyota recommends NOT using any chemical on the defroster. The rear window defroster does NOT need any assistance from the heater to clear the rear window if it is working properly. Also it should be able to melt snow/ice after 10/15 min of use.

To clarify, I tried every combination of inside/outside supply air with/without A/C. Clearly there is something wrong with the defroster. The window doesn't clear until the interior heat reaches the window (30+ minutes).

Koz

I use this and pick them up at Costco..
I spray into the micro fiber.

http://content.costco.com/Images/Con...811482_vpb.jpg
Glass Cleaner
Ammonia free
Streak free
Contains no ozone depleting chemicals
Safe for use on glass surfaces, windows, mirrors, windshields, acrylics, polycarbonates, tile, porcelain and chrome
Foam spray
Clean, fresh scent

The reason I ask about the inside / outside air is the following:

During my morning commute in the 50 degree range.. if I have no heat or air on and the button is set to re-circulated air, my windows will tend to fog up slowly from the back towards the front... especially if they haven't been cleaned in a while..
If I have the button set to outside air with everything off, my windows will not fog up.

Sounds like its not getting warm quick enough.. which is weird. :uh:

r1lee 12-18-07 11:55 AM

I will agree that the rear defroster is weak. Ever since day one, I've noticed that it's not quite as powerful as the one on the Audi it replaced, or my wife's RX330.

I find that the heated seats are the same way. Not saying that they suck, but they definatley don't get as hot as either of the two cars i just mentioned.

kindred6ul 12-18-07 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Koz (Post 3132239)

Koz

Perhaps this needs to be addressed w/ Lexus customer service if you feel there is something wrong w/ your defroster. I street park my car everyday with the same weather you have and never had a problem w/ my rear windows. I do have problems w/ water condensation when i roll down the windows, but after going through the interior w/ eagle one 20/20 i never had fog problems.