IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 all-seasons. What are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 07:37 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wakaru8
I just got Continental ContiExtremeContacts today. Too early to tell but I heard good things about it. Also comes standard on the new C350 sport.
These are my tires, which are the originals. I'm at 24k miles and will probably replace with the same, somewhere between now and 30k miles. Perform pretty well in all conditions and are reasonably priced.
Old 11-19-07, 08:44 PM
Lexus88
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the michellin a/s.... don't really like them.. ride and noise is fine... but the tires always chirp and spin out when first accelerating... i have to be extra careful not to step on the gas too hard... it's terrible when it rains... can't make quick right turns at red lights when its raining.... i dont even have to step on it that hard before the wheel spins and traction control kicks in cutting off most of the power...

Last edited by Lexus88; 11-19-07 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 07:57 AM
vr4henry
Driver School Candidate

Pothole took a chunk out of my sidewall on the stock Dunlops at 20k yesterday. Ordered some Eagle F1 A/S -- I'll report back once I get them mounted.
Old 11-20-07, 08:01 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus88
i have the michellin a/s.... don't really like them.. ride and noise is fine... but the tires always chirp and spin out when first accelerating... i have to be extra careful not to step on the gas too hard... it's terrible when it rains... can't make quick right turns at red lights when its raining.... i dont even have to step on it that hard before the wheel spins and traction control kicks in cutting off most of the power...
if they do that bad in the rain, they must really suck int he snow... and here i am thinking of getting the michelin pilot a/s ..hmmm
Old 11-20-07, 01:29 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by bhuwan
if they do that bad in the rain, they must really suck int he snow... and here i am thinking of getting the michelin pilot a/s ..hmmm
Well, not really... it depends on how much rain.

In the past, the general consensus was that in the rain, efficient water channeling gave the biggest advantage in wet weather cornering. We now know through tire research and testing that in the dry and in damp/wet road conditions (no significant water stagnation), softer/stickier tire compound (both for cars and motorcycles) will generally have a larger impact on cornering capabilities. Hence with the current tire tests (e.g., see the Road & Track article and Tirerack’s reviews) ‘max-performance’ summer tires can corner harder than ‘max-performance’ all season tires in both dry and light-rain conditions.

Once there’s significant water stagnation when hydroplaning occurs, mud, frost or snow, things change. In snow conditions, thread design becomes more important, and that’s when all-season tires are far better. Most folks can barely drive their summer tires in 2” of snow in their driveway.

If you’re never going to drive in mud, snow, or freezing weather, then stick to a good high-performance or max-performance tire like the stock Dunlops, but if you’re worried about snow, then all-seasons are a much better option.
Old 11-21-07, 06:53 AM
T's350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Foxberry
These are my tires, which are the originals. I'm at 24k miles and will probably replace with the same, somewhere between now and 30k miles. Perform pretty well in all conditions and are reasonably priced.
How do you like the Contis? Have heard they get pretty loud, but I've heard the same thing about the Michelin A/S... But the Contis are HALF the price, very tempting.

How is the ride? Handling? Have you used them in snow?

Seems the Goodyear F1 A/S is too new to have a lot of feedback on, but would love to hear from someone who's using them.
Old 11-21-07, 07:11 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

contis are very decent in snow but it is loud. can't beat the price they offer.
Old 11-21-07, 07:23 AM
T's350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThoLe
contis are very decent in snow but it is loud. can't beat the price they offer.

Louder than the stock Dunlops?
Old 11-26-07, 09:55 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus88
I too got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S but have not experienced the problems you discribe.
Very good traction on dry, wet, and snow/ice.
Definitely don't hydroplane like my previous Bridgestones RE050.
I guess those are only good for dry/summer. The PS2 are quieter too.
Very happy
Old 11-26-07, 06:12 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T's350
How do you like the Contis? Have heard they get pretty loud, but I've heard the same thing about the Michelin A/S... But the Contis are HALF the price, very tempting.

How is the ride? Handling? Have you used them in snow?

Seems the Goodyear F1 A/S is too new to have a lot of feedback on, but would love to hear from someone who's using them.
IMO, they perform reasonably well in all conditions - dry, rain, snow...but don't necessarily excel in any one condition. But that's exactly what I want - a tire that can handle all conditions at a reasonable price. And I don't think they are loud at all...not sure why they have that reputation.
Old 11-26-07, 09:30 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wakaru8
I just got Continental ContiExtremeContacts today. Too early to tell but I heard good things about it. Also comes standard on the new C350 sport.
ContiExtremeContacts standard on Mercedes? Wow, what a surprise. The price for those tires are really cheap. Usually Mercedes would put some expensive but worthless tires for standards. IMO, these tires were GREAT on my E320. They perform really well in rain and snow and lasted pretty long. The only down side is the sidewall being too soft, although I've never gotten any bubbles on them. On IS350 I don't know, I think this car puts out too much power for these tires. So I'd stick with summer tires and have a set of snow tires for the winter.
Old 11-27-07, 01:27 PM
T's350
Driver School Candidate

Had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S installed earlier today. Wow, what a difference. A little softer ride than the Dunlops, a WHOLE lot quieter and just a smoother feel all around. The car feels more responsive to me than when the Dunlops were on as well. No regrets at all so far!
Old 08-19-08, 08:09 PM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoNx3o9
ContiExtremeContacts standard on Mercedes? Wow, what a surprise. The price for those tires are really cheap. Usually Mercedes would put some expensive but worthless tires for standards. IMO, these tires were GREAT on my E320. They perform really well in rain and snow and lasted pretty long. The only down side is the sidewall being too soft, although I've never gotten any bubbles on them. On IS350 I don't know, I think this car puts out too much power for these tires. So I'd stick with summer tires and have a set of snow tires for the winter.

After 15k miles driven in dry/rain/snow and checked the tread left, I'd say that it will last another 15-18k so total around 30-33k mi. I'm still very happy with the performance. Very predictable. Yes, sidewalls bit soft but other than that I have no gripes. People complain that it is loud but I beg to differ. Lexus is quiet so to me they sound like normal tires to me. As for the concern that the 350 overpowering them. They do just fine. I drive fast, corner hard, dry or wet, they seem to perform just as well as the oem Potenza's that they replaced.

Last edited by wakaru8; 08-19-08 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-19-08, 08:39 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

ive got about 35k on my pilot sport a/s they are pretty noisy and especially since we can't rotate them, its makes it worst. im thinking of upgrading again but they cost quite a bit the last time i upgraded to the pilots.
Old 08-19-08, 08:46 PM
maxnix
Driver

Exclamation Don't Buy On Marketing Speak

Originally Posted by T's350
It's time to pitch the Dunlops the car came with and I want all-season tires on it.
Why?

One needs to understand that "All Season" is a marketing euphemism for a compromised performance summer tire and a not very good winter tire. Read the Tire Rack tests and you will find the respctive summer tires (Michelin PS2 and Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3) well out perform the downline all season equivalents except in snow, which is as it should be.

Get real snow tires on another set of wheels for winter.

Quick Reply: IS350 all-seasons. What are you running?