IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone driven the g37? How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 03:44 PM
bolaber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone driven the g37? How does it compare?

I've narrowed the vehicles i wanted to buy down to the final two: the is350 and the g37 coupe. Although i know this is a lexus forum but i feel that since the g37 just came out, most people who owns it are just enthusiats who tend to over look some things.

So far, I test drove the is350 and talked to the sales and management staff or the lexus dealership and they were all very nice; unfortunately because i want a sports package and a ML sound system I would have to wait 3 to 4 months.

On the other hand, I would imagine that the g37coupe's price would be pretty firm until 3 to 4 months later and since I would never buy a non-limited production vehicle for sticker. Technically i'm in the same boat either way.

Any recent buyers that went through the same decision? Or about to make the move onto a g37 coupe? Has anyone test drove the g37 and what did you think of it?

I only had the chance to look at a g37 coupe so far, havent had the chance to drive it. However I did get to drive an 04 g35 coupe, the interior of the is350 seems much better than that of the G, the ride was unrefined and loud. What I do like a lot about the g37 coupe is the exterior of the vehicle, it looks very nice, and "looks" a lot more expensive than the is350. It seems to bring more of a "wow factor" when shown to a person that doesnt know anything about cars.

Lastly, I owned only coupes so far, and i'm a little hesitant to switch to a sedan. Its one thing if i need the 4 full doors, but i don't need them. I can't really wait much longer because I recently sold my car, so I'm just bumming rides from friends in the mean time until I get a car. (I know it sounds bad! but hey, If i'm going to spend 40k on a vehicle, it better be exactly what i want)
Old 08-28-07, 03:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bolaber
Lastly, I owned only coupes so far, and i'm a little hesitant to switch to a sedan. Its one thing if i need the 4 full doors, but i don't need them. I can't really wait much longer because I recently sold my car, so I'm just bumming rides from friends in the mean time until I get a car. (I know it sounds bad! but hey, If i'm going to spend 40k on a vehicle, it better be exactly what i want)
Sounds a lot like me. I only drove coupes and I feel empty without one for the first time. Wait, I did drive a J30 a couple years but everything else has been a coupe. I leased a G35 for 1 year with a plan to buy a G37. Lease was up in July and the G37 wasn't coming out until, who knew when. I ventured into the Lexus lot and got a sweet deal on the GS350 so instead of waiting I jumped on it. I love the GS but I miss the sport coupe thing so bad I am sick.

So,if you're a coupe man, stick to it. A sedan is a sedan...even a sport sedan can't compare or replace the coupe thing.
Old 08-28-07, 03:59 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I dont think they will let you drive the G37 until next month....went there the other day and they only got the "show" car in the showroom. no testdrive.
Old 08-28-07, 04:02 PM
bolaber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by reggiek
Sounds a lot like me. I only drove coupes and I feel empty without one for the first time. Wait, I did drive a J30 a couple years but everything else has been a coupe. I leased a G35 for 1 year with a plan to buy a G37. Lease was up in July and the G37 wasn't coming out until, who knew when. I ventured into the Lexus lot and got a sweet deal on the GS350 so instead of waiting I jumped on it. I love the GS but I miss the sport coupe thing so bad I am sick.

So,if you're a coupe man, stick to it. A sedan is a sedan...even a sport sedan can't compare or replace the coupe thing.
you just made my decision a million times harder lol but you do bring up an excellent point

Last edited by bolaber; 08-28-07 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-28-07, 04:14 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive one? I took delivery of one on Friday. It’s a G37 Journey with premium and nav packages. Here’s a pix:

Now I know I shouldn’t be discussing another make on this forum, but just to answer your questions:

• I had to pay sticker ($42,170) due to its scarcity. I noticed they’re now adding $5,000 above that. So you’re right, the price won’t come down for at least 4 months.
• Driving it is great. Coming from a G35 coupe, the G37 is smoother, quieter, and more powerful (330 hp vs. 280).
• Other than the exterior, the G37 has no relation to the G35. The interior is all new, and quite high tech. I would say it has similar bells and whistles as my wife’s IS250.
• The G37 actually has less room in the rear than the G35, so don’t look to carrying anybody but kids back there.

I was also considering a new IS350, but having two IS’s in the garage seemed odd, so I went with the Infiniti. Having leased the G35 from the same dealer, it was a simple matter of driving it to their customer parking, tossing them the keys, and signing off on the new one ( I purchased this time).
Old 08-28-07, 04:23 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man that's sweet. Congrats!
Old 08-28-07, 04:34 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

g37 looks pretty sweet. Post some more pics
Old 08-28-07, 04:52 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

i actually like the body style of the g35 better, but like the interior of the g37.
Old 08-28-07, 04:54 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Congrats! Safe and happy trails to you, G37 driver.

To answer the original post. At first I as interested in the new M3, but after the info was revealed, I didn't want to pay that much for a car since this purchase will be handed down to my son in a couple of years. Also, my past two BMWs spent more time in the shop than I care to admit. Then I was interested in the new G37. The main thing that deterred me from the G37---> Dealerships were only willing to let the car go for MSRP. No way will I pay MSRP for a production, common, car. Also, the Infiniti dealerships (3 of them I went to in South Florida) all played games. While at the Infiniti dealership, I check out the new G35x Sedan. I found the fit and finish to be good, but not "Lexus" good. The Inifiniti uses lesser quality materials, lower grade leather, and the displays / instruments seemed to be dated compared to the IS350, however, I do like the Infiniti navigation.

Having seen many ISs on the road, I figured it wouldn't hurt to check out the IS350. I never had a sedan before, so was not expecting much. After completely evaluating the IS350, I was sold. Excellent fit and finish, performance that is on par or surpasses the G37, and Lexus quality and customer service. The IS350 is one of very few sedans that I find to be sporty in appearance (the way the car seems to slant downward with the butt up high).

From what the reviews have said about the G37, it is a decent product, but the rear seat room is severely compromised by the slant of the roof line. My thought, if you are considering a G37, why not wait a year for the new Z. The Z will be a blast.

Last edited by DropTopGal; 08-28-07 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-28-07, 04:54 PM
Chigger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
Drive one? I took delivery of one on Friday. It’s a G37 Journey with premium and nav packages. Here’s a pix:

Now I know I shouldn’t be discussing another make on this forum, but just to answer your questions:

• I had to pay sticker ($42,170) due to its scarcity. I noticed they’re now adding $5,000 above that. So you’re right, the price won’t come down for at least 4 months.
• Driving it is great. Coming from a G35 coupe, the G37 is smoother, quieter, and more powerful (330 hp vs. 280).
• Other than the exterior, the G37 has no relation to the G35. The interior is all new, and quite high tech. I would say it has similar bells and whistles as my wife’s IS250.
• The G37 actually has less room in the rear than the G35, so don’t look to carrying anybody but kids back there.

I was also considering a new IS350, but having two IS’s in the garage seemed odd, so I went with the Infiniti. Having leased the G35 from the same dealer, it was a simple matter of driving it to their customer parking, tossing them the keys, and signing off on the new one ( I purchased this time).
I think the G35s look more aggressive.
Old 08-28-07, 04:55 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yemilipede
g37 looks pretty sweet. Post some more pics
Here you go:

As my signature shows, the exterior is called Blue Slate, and the interior Stone leather.
Old 08-28-07, 04:59 PM
nch2oracer
Driver School Candidate

Let me start out by saying that I've always been a fan of the G35 coupes. However, when I started seeing the new Nissan Altima coupes, I came to the conclusion that the styling is so similar between the two cars that it will lower the status of the G35's. I know some of you may disagree, but that new G37 looks even more like the new Altimas.

Me and my friends always talk about the perceived status of common luxury car makes: BMW>Lexus>Acura>Infiniti. And the looks of the new G37 are going to keep Infinity in the bottom of the pack. Nissan/Infinity needs to do a little more to differentiate the styling between these two models.

No offense to the G37 owner, it's still a sweet ride.
Old 08-28-07, 05:02 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

That's a nice car, but it sure looks a lot like Nissan's new Altima coupe.

Glad your happy, that's all that matters.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 08-28-07, 05:18 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

To be frank, I too don’t like the fact that they look similar. But with the Altima coupe we’re looking at cheaper FWD car that IIRC doesn’t come with nav. Inside and under the hood they’re as different as a Focus is to an Aston-Martin. And IMHO, no one is going to mistake my G37 for an Altima. They wouldn't dare.
Old 08-28-07, 05:26 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Nice car...great color too, but using an Aston Martin in an analogy is quite a leap...maybe focus to a mustang might be more beliveable.

Quick Reply: Has anyone driven the g37? How does it compare?