IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hid

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 09:30 AM
h.monay
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid

which would be better the Lexus HID's or Aftermarket?
Old 08-12-07, 09:33 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this for??
Old 08-12-07, 09:36 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i would have to comment to the MODERATORS... make a HUGE LINK on the front page saying NEW MEMBERS READ THIS!!! and then state DO A SEARCH BEFORE MAKING UNNECESSARY THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol but thats just me.. anyways dude be more specific......
Old 08-12-07, 09:39 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Take it easy on him LOL he's still a "Driver school candidate"
Old 08-12-07, 12:58 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I would rather have Lexus OEM HID if I had the choice
Old 08-12-07, 01:02 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Wouldnt Lexus HID cost millions of dollars?
Old 08-12-07, 01:04 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

LOL But I too would choose OEM over aftermarket.
Old 08-12-07, 01:22 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Yea definately OEM. I think the OEM cutoff is much sharper, too.
Old 08-12-07, 01:33 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

well im going to break it down for the driver candidate

OEM HID will have autoleveling thats on any OEM HID whether it be reflector/projector systems, projector is better than reflector

IF you have a newer lexus OEM will have autoleveling and AFS (projectors actually turn left and right when the car is on a curve)

OEM HID is also the only "LEGAL" option you cant legally modify headlights, sounds like all you would be doing is adding a KIT on, and not actually retrofitting any headlights so OEM HID will be better because regardless of whether you have projectors or not, OEM HID would have autoleveling

ONLY WAY NON-OEM would be better is if you added a set of OEM projectors such as LS430, s2000, TSX projectors, put them in your headlights and then added HID as these are the better projectors out there and output is better than the vast majority of OEM, then you can also modify them with different lenses to get a razor sharp cutoff/alot of color, if thats what you are looking for then they can be better that way..but be ready to either fork some good dough over for parts, and have some one do it for you, or better have some spare time and pay a visit to HIDPLANET.com there is a BUNCH OF INFO there
Old 08-12-07, 01:44 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
ONLY WAY NON-OEM would be better is if you added a set of OEM projectors such as LS430, s2000, TSX projectors, put them in your headlights and then added HID as these are the better projectors out there and output is better than the vast majority of OEM, then you can also modify them with different lenses to get a razor sharp cutoff/alot of color, if thats what you are looking for then they can be better that way..but be ready to either fork some good dough over for parts, and have some one do it for you, or better have some spare time and pay a visit to HIDPLANET.com there is a BUNCH OF INFO there
The non-HID ISx50 headlights ARE projector, just not HID
Old 08-12-07, 02:15 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

yea I wrote that because I did not know what car he had, and still have projectors, yes he can add an HID cut and have similar results but he is not going to have AFS or autoleveling

I should rephrase everything in terms of BETTER, nothing will be better than OEM HID because OEM has sensors giving you AFS, and autoleveling, there is yet to be someone to take a non-OEM hid headlight and give it true autoleveling and AFS

and like i said output wise, since his car comes with projectors, the OEM hid opted IS, will still have better output because the optics of the projector are designed for HID and will make the output better

HOWEVER the projector that comes in the IS, isnt the best projector out there in terms of output and color, and sharpness (sharpness isnt necessarily a good thing) output is more imoportant, but right off hand the TSX, S2000, and ls430 projectors all provide wider, sharper, and better output than 90% of all oem, that is why guys take these and drop them into their headlights, some guys already have OEM HID, and they still drop these in because it will improve their output, so you can take oem HID and make it better sort of, but I dont think you can beat OEM HID because of the all the output focus systems that are incorported
Old 08-12-07, 03:05 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^^^ that and OEM comes with mfrs 4yr/50k warranty. . .
Old 08-12-07, 06:01 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
I would rather have Lexus OEM HID if I had the choice

then change the bulbs out for another $200 because they're still yellow??!!
Old 08-12-07, 06:08 PM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
i would have to comment to the MODERATORS... make a HUGE LINK on the front page saying NEW MEMBERS READ THIS!!! and then state DO A SEARCH BEFORE MAKING UNNECESSARY THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol but thats just me.. anyways dude be more specific......
Geez, calm down dude. Go easy on him and don't tell the moderators what to do.
Old 08-12-07, 06:11 PM
andoy
Driver

^^ yea i find that Lexus OEM hid's look pretty "stock" looking.. I still wish mine came with HID's though.. i have aftermarket btw.

Quick Reply: Hid