IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Special 15k Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 10:52 PM
DJKIBBLES
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special 15k Oil Change?

Is there such thing as a "special every 15k oil change" that charges you $350? My friend just hit her 15k mark and they charged her $350 to do this special oil change. They told her that they have to change the filter, balance her tires, and that it would take 3 hours to complete. They did not even give her a loaner because they said she is not 21. Her oil change was at Lexus of New Orleans. Did she get BS?

**UPDATE**
Thanks for all the info! I told her she got BSed, but she just didnt believe me. I just wanted to prove to her.

SOME QUICK PICS!!!

Last edited by DJKIBBLES; 07-09-07 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-08-07, 11:08 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

sounds like she got BS'd to me. I know lots of dealerships (not just Lexus) recommend a 15K service that's more than just an oil and filter change, but it's usually mostly BS. Stuff like change your air filter which you can do easily yourself, and the rest is inspect this and that, not really even replacing anything. On some cars they rotate your tires but if you have staggered wheels/tires this isn't even an option so I would skip all that and just do the oil change. My two cents.
Old 07-08-07, 11:14 PM
fdelement
Driver

sounds like your friend definitely got ripped off.
Old 07-08-07, 11:16 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, that is complete BS if you ask me.
Old 07-09-07, 02:09 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

mine is due soon and i called ahead to see how much. they said 220. i still think its a rip off period. thats how they hustle and make money in this world but since i know crap about doing it myself, im going to pay them what they said = / i heard we can possibly call Toyota dealerships and get the same quality servicing for cheaper but i didnt call yet. maybe tomorrow.
Old 07-09-07, 03:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

It was special alright. Specially wallet lightening. Nothing more.
Old 07-09-07, 04:35 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

She got robbed, and stealerships like Lexus of New Orleans should be taken to task. It may not be fair, but Caveat Emptor.
Old 07-09-07, 05:58 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

If its the real 15k service its more then a oil change and tire rotation according to the manual. It also includes alot of under carraige adjustments.

The best way to know if she got the screws is to check what she signed saying she agreed to pay for the services....
Old 07-09-07, 07:00 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Def sounds like BS!!!!!!! dont let them fool you. your driving a realible toyota. all you need is a oil change. my dealer knows me better than to trick me with those tactics....i went to get my 10k oil change and it was 40bucks !
Old 07-09-07, 07:04 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

15k service is just an oil change. Maybe even air filter and cabin filter replacement.
Old 07-09-07, 07:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It was special alright. Specially wallet lightening. Nothing more.
lol... So true...
Old 07-09-07, 07:36 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Don't mean to thread hijack, but I met an IS250 owner yesterday and we were discussing dealer service... I was picking my buddy up from his place and his neighbor was like "Hey, is that your IS350?" He goes on to tell me he bought one of the first 2006 IS250's, etc... Then he says "Ya, but the cost to maintain these things is astronomical!"

Uh oh...

So I ask him to elaborate and he basically says that he pays $150 every 5k miles for service, and $450 at 15k intervals!!!

I was like "What did they do at 15k that cost $450?" He said "Probably they just changed the oil and maybe the engine air filter, it's a ripoff"

I was shocked!! This guy basically knew that he was getting ripped off and didn't even care... So I asked him why he continues to get gouged at the dealership? He responded that he doesn't know where else to go that would know how to service a Lexus...

So I told him that for routine maintenance, there's really nothing different about our cars that a decent mechanic (or even a DIY'er) can't do... I referred him to my local service shop that I bring all my cars to and I also let him in on the fact that the mechanic that works on my car works the night shift at his Lexus dealership

He was saying how he wanted the IS350 over the IS250 but it was out of his budget... It's ironic, with the thousands he would spend on service on his car at the dealership, he could have purchased the 350 instead...

Anyway, hopefully he's done wasting his money on "special oil changes"... He seemed like a nice guy!
Old 07-09-07, 07:38 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

I always get my car serviced at Lexus of New Orleans. They always treat me pretty well. For the 15k, all I got was the oil change for $60. Nothing more. Nothing special. I just tell them all I want is the oil change. And yes, you have to be at least 21 to get a loaner. It's like that at every dealership. It's just like renting a car.
Old 07-09-07, 09:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I was shocked!! This guy basically knew that he was getting ripped off and didn't even care... So I asked him why he continues to get gouged at the dealership? He responded that he doesn't know where else to go that would know how to service a Lexus...
I'm not surprised.

Lexus themselves helps to perpetuate the perception that dealer service is superior: Look at this, from the maintenance part of the "My Lexus" section of the website:

To help ensure your vehicle receives first-rate service and factory-authorized parts, we recommend having all maintenance performed by an authorized Lexus dealership service technician. They're required to keep up to date with the latest developments regarding the maintenance and repair of Lexus vehicles. In addition, many are certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence and through the Lexus Commitment to Perfection Certification Program.

When your vehicle is serviced at a Lexus dealership, its information is stored in the Lexus National Service History database. A first of its kind in the automotive industry, the database can be accessed by any Lexus dealership in the U.S.A. So if your Lexus needs servicing and you're out of town, you can be certain the local Lexus dealer will know all the important information about your vehicle.

Having your Lexus serviced at a Lexus dealership can keep your investment paying off for years to come.
I suppose Lexus aggressively markets dealer service to their customers to promote brand loyalty. Part of what Lexus sells is the "ownership experience". No smelly gas stations or garages here -- you've bought into a world where owners enjoy white glove treatment from well dressed service advisers and enjoy modern opulent waiting areas featuring plasma TVs, free cappuccino and pastry, free computer with Internet access.
Old 07-09-07, 11:59 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
you've bought into a world where owners enjoy white glove treatment from well dressed service advisers and enjoy modern opulent waiting areas featuring plasma TVs, free cappuccino and pastry, free computer with Internet access.
Well, I prefer LCD TVs anyway...

Quick Reply: Special 15k Oil Change?