IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I Need Your Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 03:15 PM
bx lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Your Opinion

Im looking to by my 1st car this upcoming dec. Im trying to decided what i should go with. Either the infiiti g37, bmw 335i, or is350. I could use some of your guys opinions on what to choose.. thanks alot
Old 07-06-07, 03:18 PM
josephlee
Driver

g37 for cheap price, good hp, cheap quality
335i for handling, free service, and lots to fix
IS350 for nice interior/ fit and finish and good built quality but less fun
Old 07-06-07, 03:25 PM
bx lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by josephlee
yes true i herd the paint on the infiniti is cheap but good amount hp which is true.. isnt the is350 start at like 35 i think the g37 will start at the same...

i also herd that it out handles the 335i i watched videos on road and track and autoblahn..

how do you figure the is30 less fun??

Last edited by bx lexus; 07-06-07 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 03:53 PM
josephlee
Driver

i dont know about the states...
but here in canada, the base G35 coupe starts at $47,200 (and assuming the G37 will not deviate from this price range much and you are comparing it with a coupe; 2007 G35 sedan with 306hp base price is only $37,990) and the base IS350 starts at $49,150

If you want to compare coupe wise, the G37 base price at about $48,000 comparing to 335coupe base price at $52,000

My fd has a 335i (no sports package) and I had a IS350 loaner. driving experience tells me that the bimmer handles better and seems like the bimmer gives a better punch during acceleration. But comparing interior, Lexus wins by miles.

Havent had a chance on the G37 since its not out yet...but i've heard lots of stories that the bimmer is still a notch better than the G on handling

Last edited by josephlee; 07-06-07 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 04:07 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bx lexus
yes true i herd the paint on the infiniti is cheap but good amount hp which is true.. isnt the is350 start at like 35 i think the g37 will start at the same...

i also herd that it out handles the 335i i watched videos on road and track and autoblahn..

how do you figure the is30 less fun??

You're best bet is to go look, touch, and drive each car. Opinions are subjective. You're on a Lexus forum and like every other forum, opinions are often (but not always) biased. All of the cars are nice, but it's going to be your personal preference which is "best" for you.

The 335i is a beautiful car. It is fast and handles well. The BMW interior is, in my opinion, a little stark. Sports packages gives you better seats. I don't care much for the idrive interface, but then I don't hate it either. I'm guessing that the A/C is as weak as every other BMW, but it functions. I decided on something else because this was the first year for the turbos and every fifth car in this area is a BMW. IF the 335i coupe hardtop convertible would have been out at the time and the dealers weren't charging a huge BS markup, I probably would have bought that.

The G37 is an unknown until you can actually see and drive it. I was actually thinking about waiting to see the G37 coupe before I bought the IS350, but only the concept pictures were out. Based on actual photos, I'm glad I didn't wait. Just doesn't look as good TO ME. Again, nice car, but I preferred the styling of the other cars.

The ISx50 is a great car. The interior is beautiful. Seats are luxurious (though the softness makes my butt hurts after a couple of hours). I love the exterior (as much as I liked the 335i). Bad thing about the IS350 is that you can't get a manual transmission, which takes the "fun" out of driving. But I got used to being lazy with the auto pretty quickly.
Old 07-06-07, 04:15 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by josephlee
I think all Josephs think the same way.

I will never buy a bimmer again since the quality is getting cheaper every year. I am sure both G37 abd IS350 are good cars but I always see Toyota makes better car.
Old 07-06-07, 04:22 PM
bx lexus
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your opinions the 335i interior isnt nice i really dislike it alot its just the performance that has me double guessing about it..

thanks for your opinions..

anymoree??
Old 07-06-07, 04:25 PM
josephlee
Driver

you should really test drive them...that way, you will experience them...
remember, you're buying the car for yourself...unless you wanna give it to us..haha
Old 07-06-07, 04:52 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

No opinion on the Infinity, but stay away from the BMW....As a previous 330i owner, and friends who still have the cars, your in for a real treat.....They will treat you real nice when it's in for service all the time.......then your warranty will run out and you'll have to sell the car for parts.....

BMW's handle great, but the electronic gremlins they hide are too much to bear......And you have to file suit on them like I did to MAKE them do anything....
Old 07-06-07, 05:01 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking to lease the car, BMW will likely be a better relative value due to the high residuals, low money factors from BMWFS, and free service plan. If you want to own the car for more than 3 or 4 years, then it gets risky. You might get a great BMW that is as reliable as an average Lexus, but the average BMW could get tiresome after a few years.

For the past 3 years, I've been embarassingly stranded by my 740iL once each year, all three times requiring the flatbed tow truck and a knowing look from the tow driver...
Old 07-06-07, 07:11 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Test drive all 3 cars. Based on reliabilty and over all satisfaction Lexus #1 IMO.
Old 07-07-07, 11:43 AM
bx lexus
Driver School Candidate

bumppppppp
Old 07-07-07, 12:00 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bx, your in new york? you get alot of snow? do you drive durring the winter? I dunno, is250 awd or legacy GT specB would be my first choices if i lived up north. Unless you already have a 4x4 for the winter.

335i = best handling, more funner than the rest WHEN its on the road. The lease idea is great if you dont mind waiting for the towtruck/service vehicle on the side of the hwy.

G37= sorry i see too many old ladies driving G35's here... pass

is350= bester int. of the bunch, also everyone knows, if you buy a new car you buy japanese, best japanese of the the bunch is toyota, you'd buy your mom a camry right? dont want her broke down on the side of road at nite waiting for the tow truck (even if its under warranty/lease), so just take a step up to Lexus
Old 07-08-07, 07:09 PM
bx lexus
Driver School Candidate

no not really i mean we are hit and miss with the snow in the winter but i can live without AWD.. ahh im so confused i wonder which car is going to have the best deals in dec def not going to be infiniti i never delt with bimmer but i kno lexus is already neg and the g37 (competitor) isnt even out yet.. if the 335i neg once the g37 comes out i might go for it.. couple of my friends have the is class one has a 350 and one just ordered an 250 awd so they might get a little played out by the time of dec.. just hopin the g37 or 335i wont be..

not sure what i want to do im being told to finance bc first car and all that stuff bc of the penalties when you return your lease can b rough but i might wind up leasing it depends on the money situation..

another thing modding!!! i lovee it but lease im not touching it financing if i have couple extra $$ then im def modding
Old 07-08-07, 07:14 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Get an IS350. BMW, well, a lot of people I know regret it in the long run because parts are damn expensive and repair work is pretty high. Lots of electrical problems. Infiniti are good cars and before I bought my IS, I debated between their G35 and the IS350. Lexus are heavily priced but in the end, you get TQM (Toyota Quality on your side). That's the bottom line with me. Plus, the IS350 is a pretty awesome car. I mean 306 HP with a 0-60 in 5 seconds? That's worth the price tag.

Quick Reply: I Need Your Opinion