IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Soon to be 250 owner has some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 01:28 PM
LexusTexas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be 250 owner has some questions

I've never owned anything more than a Toyota or Nissan so before I plunk down the 31.7k +ttl for the 35,222 optioned version, have a few questions I could use some advice on:

1) I've read that the 18" tires that come on most every IS last only about 15k miles and then we get to spend another $1k to replace them. Is that accurate?

2) Do you take your car to the dealer for an oil change or the local quick lube? (What do the dealers charge for a change?)

3) Are the service maintenance costs much higher than your normal Camry or Accord?

4) And since we're so close to the 08's, shouldn't I expect a better deal on an 07? Trying to determine if I should be patient and wait until later this year for an 08 since they don't seem to be willing to go any lower on the price. I like the internet pricing process, but I'm having a tough time making a better deal since there aren't many in the color combo I want.

5) What your opinion of the acceleration on the 250? Ever miss/want the power of the 350? I test drove the 250 and it seemed barely sufficient, but have a hard time justifying the extra 5k for the 350.

6) I like the X package, but don't want to get the silver or black. Will the color options for the X package be changed for 08?

The Dallas dealerships are like walking into a country club, but their attitudes seem to follow suit, a little stuffy. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks y'all.
Old 07-01-07, 01:42 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Yes and no, you can always get cheeper (crappier) tires, the treadwear rating is only 140 for OEM, you can go with a high end goodyears F1 with a 280-300 rating.

2. Only for the first FREE service, do your own oil afterwards or goto your fav mechanic.

3. Not if you do it yourself.

4. No telling if there will be mdls left over for you to choose from or if they will discount such a popular mdl. *i wouldnt would you?*

5. Personal preferance, do you need the speed or not, daily driver or play car, 350 eats gas compaired to the 250. This is all on you. Power mods for the 250 are worthless so if you get a 250 go the VIP route.

6. Call a stealership and ask them. There is also white.

*just cuz i cant recognize a head on shot of a 3GS dont mean i dont know what im talking about *

Last edited by llamaboiz; 07-01-07 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-01-07, 04:07 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5) After driving both cars (350 and 250), who really needs an IS350. The 250 is a hurricane, I mean it, it is fast. You'll get far better numbers in mpg with the 250 than the evil cousin IS350.

Warrionex
Old 07-01-07, 04:27 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusTexas
I've never owned anything more than a Toyota or Nissan so before I plunk down the 31.7k +ttl for the 35,222 optioned version, have a few questions I could use some advice on:

1) I've read that the 18" tires that come on most every IS last only about 15k miles and then we get to spend another $1k to replace them. Is that accurate?

2) Do you take your car to the dealer for an oil change or the local quick lube? (What do the dealers charge for a change?)

3) Are the service maintenance costs much higher than your normal Camry or Accord?

4) And since we're so close to the 08's, shouldn't I expect a better deal on an 07? Trying to determine if I should be patient and wait until later this year for an 08 since they don't seem to be willing to go any lower on the price. I like the internet pricing process, but I'm having a tough time making a better deal since there aren't many in the color combo I want.

5) What your opinion of the acceleration on the 250? Ever miss/want the power of the 350? I test drove the 250 and it seemed barely sufficient, but have a hard time justifying the extra 5k for the 350.

6) I like the X package, but don't want to get the silver or black. Will the color options for the X package be changed for 08?

The Dallas dealerships are like walking into a country club, but their attitudes seem to follow suit, a little stuffy. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks y'all.
1) As with any car, maintenance depends a lot on who the driver is. I've heard of some with high mileage IS's say that the tires can last up to 25K miles on the 18" wheels.

2) My first 5 oil changes, up to 25K miles, in 5K intervals are all covered by the dealer, free of charge, so I will let them do it. I only have 3500 miles on my IS250, so no experience yet in terms of dealer oil changes. I will however tell them not to wash my car (do a search for car wash thread and you will see why).

3) Lexus is a premium brand, so service will cost more. However, you can always take it to a Toyota dealer and get it serviced for a lower price. I've heard that oil changes at the Toyota dealer cost about half of what Lexus will charge you. However, the dealer claims that they "know your vehicle the best", and check out your vehicle thoroughly.

4) I got a good deal on a 2007 IS250 in April, and I wouldn't expect prices to be much lower now, if lower at all. I paid $500 below invoice in Texas, which is normally not possible. However, I informed the dealers in Houston that I will promptly take my business to another state (California) if they don't get close to Cali prices. Either they want your business or not...and it doesn't matter if the 08's are about to roll out. I paid $32.8K for a car with a sticker price of $38.2K. Dealer told me that they normally don't go this low.

5) The 250 suited my needs for a daily commuter car, and some occasional highway driving to Louisiana to visit ill parents there. With a combo of city/highway driving in Houston, with my AC set at 75, I get 27 mpg. On the highway, with cruise set at 75 mph, and AC at 75 degrees, I get 32 mpg, and change. The car fits my driving style, and acceleration is good enough for me in Houston driving, which is pretty tough, high speed driving to begin with. Honestly, I loved the IS350, but I'll take my gas mileage any day with the good stuff priced over $3 per gallon, so I don't miss having the 350. Chicks still dig the car, as it looks nice.

6) Check threads on the X package, I believe it comes in white also.

Tell the Dallas dealers to negotiate a price below invoice, or you walk. Dealers in Cali probably have the car you want on a lot somewhere, and are willing to sell below invoice. Don't be pressued into a deal.
Old 07-01-07, 04:51 PM
smitty1515
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Tell the Dallas dealers to negotiate a price below invoice, or you walk. Dealers in Cali probably have the car you want on a lot somewhere, and are willing to sell below invoice. Don't be pressured into a deal.
How do you do this? Do you just call tell em what you want see if they have it and have them ship it to you? Do you buy the car and never test drive it?
Old 07-01-07, 06:55 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by smitty1515
How do you do this? Do you just call tell em what you want see if they have it and have them ship it to you? Do you buy the car and never test drive it?
Test drive the car you wanted to buy then try to negotiate with your local dealership. If the price it right go buy. If not - poker time. Try to bluff by telling them you can get the car somewhere else cheaper. That way you have an idea of what you're buying/ordering from out of state.
Old 07-02-07, 03:37 AM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by smitty1515
Call and ask them if they have the car on the lot. Sometimes they have 5 or more of the color combo and packages you want.

Dealer in Cali offered to fly me in so that I could see the car, test drive it, and drive it 1700 miles back home.

Other option is to have them ship on flatbed truck for a $500 charge.
Old 07-02-07, 03:41 AM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is4fsr
Test drive the car you wanted to buy then try to negotiate with your local dealership. If the price it right go buy. If not - poker time. Try to bluff by telling them you can get the car somewhere else cheaper. That way you have an idea of what you're buying/ordering from out of state.
There is no bluffing involved. Cali prices are lower, and all you have to do is get some quotes and threaten to go there if the local dealer won't budge.

Then when you get the car, stop by the local dealer, show them the purchase price, and moon them on the way out of the dealership.
Old 07-02-07, 08:06 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

thanks y'all.
First off congrats on making the jump to a luxury vehicle! I promise you will never want to go back! Second, welcome to CL, if there is any place to learn everything about the IS, its here on the website! We are an awesome community and Im sure there is someone here who can answer any question you come up with! As far as your current questions go:

1) From what I have hear new tires can range in price from 700 to 1400 depending on brand and quality. And the OEM from what I have heard and read are lasting people anywhere from 22K to 30K depending on how you drive your car.

2) Frist oil change is free, then on average they are 50 bucks every 5K miles. And yes, no one else is trusted touching my vehicle, and some places dont have and/or cant get the lexus oil filters for it, so you would actually have to buy them somewhere and bring them to the oil place.

3) Everything is always going to be more expensive for a more expensive car. Take that as a given.

4) I dont know how 250s are selling in TX, but here in CA the average good deal is 1000-1500 BELOW INVOICE. I doubt youd be able to get much lower than that just because the 08s are a few months coming.

5) The RWD 250 IMO is much better than any 4 cycl family sedan I have been in like camrys and accords, but yes it is MUCH slower then the 350. I opted for the 250 because in my daily commute Im lucky if I get to go 45 on the freeway there is so much traffic. So I figured why waste the gas and burn so much more money? Keep in mind all luxury vehicle (yes including all Lexus ones) run premium only (no not recommended, only). So your fuel cost will be higher with this car. Like I said before, more expensive car, more expensive everything else.

6) No one knows anything for sure about what the 08s will bring. So anything you read or hear is purely speculation.

Good luck on you venture and I hope you end up with the car you desire!
Old 07-02-07, 08:12 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The IS250 is pretty slow, but I wouldn't say it is barely sufficient.. sufficient to do what though? It will get you around just fine and can accelerate pretty good on the freeway.
Old 07-02-07, 08:22 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

thanks y'all.
1)Yes this is true. New tires will run you $700-$1000. It isn't that big of a deal to me since I'm kinda used to this. I only got 11k miles out of the stock tires on my '99 Accord Coupe.

2)I will be taking my car to the dealer. I haven't had my first oil change yet, but my mother gets her RX serviced at Park Place and she says an oil change usually costs her between $29-$40 (depending on whether or not she has received any coupons from the dealer lately).

3)I came from an Accord and while maintenance costs are a little higher (if you have any maintenance to begin with) I sure as heck didn't get a free loan car, access to Plasma TV's, Gelato, and a putting green while my car was getting serviced at Lute Riley Honda!

Speaking of Lute Riley Honda... I found out something very interesting last week. My girlfriend just purchased an '07 CR-V and I helped her throughout the process since I had just been thru it myself. It was amazing at how much more that dealership charges for stuff than my Lexus dealer charged. They wanted $295 for WHEEL LOCKS! I paid $60 for mine. They also wanted $795 for the tire and wheel protection plan. I paid $350 at my dealer for the same coverage. It was such a joke.

4)We are still a little bit away from the '08s. The dealers wont be giving deals on the '07s until the '08s are actually sitting on the lot.

5)I love the acceleration of my 250. I had originally ordered a 350 but Lexus didn't produce the car I wanted and after waiting 4 months for that special order I didn't want to wait another 4 months for another special order. I have driven both and while I would have loved the extra hp in the 350, but my 250 has plenty. Especially compared to my old 4-banger Accord.

6)Don't have the answer to that question

If you need a good sales person at Park Place of Plano, let me know. My family has bought 3 cars from that dealer and two from the same person.
Old 07-02-07, 08:31 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

BTW I noticed you said $31.7k for the $35222 configuration, this is kind of high because I paid a little less than $30k on this same car before TTL. I've read the Texas deals are not as good as Cali, but check out what is going on first, but your price caught my eye and would seem like the average "walk in" price and not a too competitive. At least e-mail all the dealers in your area and the internet sales can tell your their price and go from there.

Another option is to buy the car from Cali.
Old 07-02-07, 10:16 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

If you do decide to buy the car from Cali, I can tell you that you are looking at about $800 to ship it. Just an FYI.
Old 07-02-07, 10:17 AM
smitty1515
Driver School Candidate

I am not the original poster but I must say as a prospective Lexus IS x50 owner in the next 12-18 months I have learned a great deal from you folks. Thanks
Old 07-02-07, 10:32 AM
LexusTexas
Rookie

I agree Smitty. Thanks to everyone for their input. I just think that the IS model is the best looking car in it's class on the road and can tell that everyone on the board is very passionate about theirs. After reading the other thread about the guy that ordered an 08, I'm thinking of looking into doing that. I guess I'd rather wait a few month and get a new model year, as long as they would do it for a similar amount over invoice. If not, I'll try for one of the remaining 07's.

Quick Reply: Soon to be 250 owner has some questions