IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Accident - Could have been much worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 03:22 PM
shivt1988
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident - Could have been much worse

I was dropping a few friends on this two lane road (one lane for either direction) and all of a sudden a person coming out of this street, completely oblivious to me, makes a left turn. I see her coming (she apparently didnt see me) and i swerve to the right into the opposing traffic (no one was coming luckily), trying to get out clean. if i had not swerved it could easily have been a t-bone but she clipped my rear bumper on the passenger side and scuffed my rims. She owned up to the entire accident in front of the police officer. What should i do now as this is my first accident? The police officer filed a accident report. How much should this generously cost...$1000? Here are the pictures:

Old 06-02-07, 03:35 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's good you were cautious and avoided a more major accident. Damage doesn't look too bad. since she admitted fault, it won't cost you a dime. dunno about the body shop estimate though.
Old 06-02-07, 03:45 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

You'll have to get your back bumper repainted and the rim will have to be re-finished, it'll probably be around $1,000. I had to have my front bumper repainted earlier in the year and it was about $800
Old 06-02-07, 03:54 PM
Turkf26
Driver

6-800 for the rear bumper plus the cost of the rim. I would make them get you a brand new rim from the dealer because most of the wheel repaints/fixes either look bad or dont match the other 3 rims on your car.
Old 06-02-07, 08:09 PM
shivt1988
Rookie

As I am new to this whole process of accident stuff, how would I request that the repairs be done at a lexus certified body shop? Also, how would I tell them that I want a brand new rim because evidently touch-ups arent as good as new? I'm assuming that the entire bumper will be re-painted. Sucks that my first accident is not even my fault and I'm only 18. Thanks.
Old 06-02-07, 08:18 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Had something similar happen to me. Only had the car three weeks. You know those left hand turn lanes at the red light where it tapers back into the regular lane and the last car's butt is always sticking out? Well, yes sir, there was that certain jerk that thought she could squeeze in, but it was waaayyyyyyy toooo tight!

Your pictures are almost verbatim of what happened to me!

Say, be glad that's all it was, it could be much worse! I think it makes you drive more defensively or should I say "offensively"?

She's broken in now, as much as we hate to say that. Kinda' like, "well the party's not a party until someone breaks something."

Seriously, your frame is fine, no structural damage or anything like that. Just some paint and some compound.

You and your "sled" will be fine, trust me.

Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 06-02-07 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-07, 08:26 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I highly doubt they'll replace the entire rim. From those pictures there doesn't appear to be any damage to it other than the finish. If they can paint the bumper to match the rest of the car, they can surly refinish the rim to match the other three.
Old 06-02-07, 08:29 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Doesn't look too bad. The estimates everyone else is giving you sounds about right. Also, I spent like the last 10 minutes trying to picture what happened using your description but it's not really making any sense to me whatsoever. Anyhow, good to see you're still safe though!
Old 06-02-07, 08:56 PM
gassman
Pole Position

ouchiwhawha!
Old 06-02-07, 10:16 PM
CarlitosPR
Pole Position

Talking

I had my shared of accidents and the best you can do is be firm with the insurance guy and demand the new rim. i had something similar once and the insurance take the scratched wheel and gave me a new one (just the rim without the tire of course). dont hesitate at any moment and you should have a new rim. also you decide which shop to use not them. remember you are the owner not them.
Old 06-02-07, 11:08 PM
MLee
Pole Position

Damn, sry to hear about this.. same thing happened to me before, some girl backed up into my car while I'm driving. 1 thing that pissed me off was that she wasn't driving with a valid license

ur damage looks almost the same as mine, cept that mine is a 1st gen IS
Old 06-02-07, 11:15 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a good chance they will replace the wheel.

The wheel may be bent.

Also, make sure they do an alignment. may possibly be suspension damage.

Goodluck
Old 06-02-07, 11:26 PM
ano0oj
Pole Position

I'd just use that as an excuse to get new wheels =)
Old 06-03-07, 12:07 AM
khoongy
Driver

should be over 1000..but it depends on which body shop you take it to. in addition to the paintwork and rim scratches, make sure they check your allignment!! also check to see if your HIDs are still aligned. i was in an accident similar to yours and my HID aim was a bit off. just call your insurance and let them know what happened.

they willl contact the other insurance, and the other insurance will call you.

you'll have to explain your story over and over.

glad youre okay.

my car is actually in the shop right now... flying debris on the freeway. good thing my insurance covers it. all i have to pay is $250 to my insurance company and they will cover the rest. the estimate was $2000 for my hood. no dents... just some really long&deep scratches.
Old 06-03-07, 12:08 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

ouch! that hurts...sorry to hear that.....

you need to replace the bumper, wheels and possible alignment

you might need to check the rear brakes too!

Quick Reply: Accident - Could have been much worse