IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What % is the dealer making?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 08:50 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

First of all, I'd like to give props to Evitzee for a well-thought out and excellently worded post. Your points are salient and much appreciated.
Originally Posted by Evitzee
I don't disagree with your premise that cars usually only remain desirable for a period of time until something newer and hotter comes along. And I don't know what your market is in Northern California is, but I'll say that very, very few 2006 IS 350's were ever sold at below invoice price to someone who just stumbled in the door. Sometimes you can get good prices depending on time of month, incentives, etc. And once in a while you'll have a dealer who just doesn't know his market well enough. In the market I live in we only have four dealers (two are owned by the same group) to service an area of 4 to 6 million people. From talking to people, and what is on this board, prices are not as keen as those in CA. That's just the status of the marketplace here in Houston. Try finding new, well optioned, IS 350's here and you'll be frustrated. There just aren't any. So are you going to get one at below invoice price? Probably not. I think you are too focused on the price angle. I'd rather pay a bit more for a dealer that is convenient and responsive, then for one that is further away and not as good. That's just me. Price is important, but is NOT the be all, end all factor as far as I'm concerned. I don't know your age, but I suspect it is fairly young, and younger buyers focus a lot of energy on price. I did the same in my youth. But you get to the point that other factors (such as convenience and dealer interaction) become more important as you get older. Your focus might be different at this point in your life. Nothing wrong with that.
I can attest to this statement - I bought my 350 in Dallas in September of '05 (had to wait until November to take delivery), so my pricing circumstances aren't near what they are in today's environment... Having said that, I paid full MSRP for it, and did so with absolutely no regrets. Sewell provided me with service above and beyond a normal dealership, and I can't say enough about them. Evitzee is spot on - there are many things important in the purchasing process, and price should be one of those, not the only one.

Javier
Old 04-13-07, 09:53 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I guess it really comes down to what kind of buyer you are... I buy ever car with the sole intent to sell it in 3-4 years and upgrade to a newer better car. So that being the case, its of the greatest importance to me to minimize the loss I have when selling it.