IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Safety features debate - Let's get it on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 08:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I'd suggest they're intended to help design engineers compensate for the least capable in the driving pool, as are most guidelines.

For instance, FAA guidelines for pilots are based on knowing the pilot has successfully passed a number of medical, psychological, and physical tests to be qualified to operate aircraft. Those minimum thresholds are even higher for commercial rated pilots. They also know the pilot has been observed by other competent pilots who have exercised some prudence in determining a person's fitness to fly. So the rules they write assume a certain level of competence.

Given the cracker jack box licensing scheme for the vast majority of American drivers, it's pretty safe to assume the bar needs to be pretty low.

It would be interesting to know how the Japanese approach licensing for driving (I don't know the process), however, I have been told it is possible to be charged with professional negligence in Japan because they consider a driving license to be a professional credential and those who drive take their credential quite seriously. (And then I watch some of the touge videos and wonder at the foolishness of Japanese behaviour on public roads...)
Old 03-27-07, 08:26 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was reading the USAirways magazine today and they had a review of the LS460... Guess what? FINALLY, they are criticizing the navigation system's lockouts!!!

http://www.usairwaysmag.com/alloverthemap01.php

"Unfortunately, the GPS navigation system is optional — rather surprising for a car with a base price of $61,000. Further, Lexus cripples the navigation system by prohibiting passengers from inputting new destinations while on the go."

Let's hope that other publications follow this trend and criticize Lexus for not letting passengers input destinations while on the go!
Old 03-27-07, 10:20 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalJD
Acura's tilt and telescope steering wheel is also manual (not power) so that cannot be tied into the memory settings at all. .
The electronic tilt and telescope steering column in my Acura was tied to the memory seat setting just like Lexus. Maybe you meant to say it is not available in all Acura models? Either way, the ones that have them work the same as Lexus.
Old 03-27-07, 10:23 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalJD
Hold on there partner, not necessarily. The Honda/Acura cars I have experienced with the non-intrusive Navis were built in N. America (Mdx/Odyssey-Canada, TL/Accord-USA). I wonder if the Hondas built in Japan have intrusive Navis (RL, Tsx, S2000). If built outside of Japan, maybe JAMA doesn't apply (loophole) . . .
I'm just basing this off memory so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure even the RL that is built in Japan doesn't have the restrictions just like the other Honda/Acura cars.
Old 04-18-07, 09:38 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like pulling over on the freeway to put in an address.

I don't think that's any safer than putting in an address quickly in the slow lane =P

if you want proof click this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKHD7QEkvro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUCoFCqNcGU
Old 04-18-07, 10:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
I don't like pulling over on the freeway to put in an address.

I don't think that's any safer than putting in an address quickly in the slow lane =P

if you want proof click this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKHD7QEkvro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUCoFCqNcGU

I bet the drivers in those vans were trying to type in new destinations ...
Old 04-18-07, 12:26 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
Good point. The safest way to put in destinations while driving is still through voice commands. Yes, it may be slower, and yes, commands often need to be repeated, but if you’re really interested in vehicle safety, that’s the way to go.

And let’s not lose sight of the fact that unless you’re a pizza delivery man putting in dozens of destinations every hour, it’s no big deal to do it this way.
Old 04-18-07, 01:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Both tasks require you divide your attention. One of them divides your attention for a much longer period. Personally, using the voice commands only ensures I will be either pulling over somewhere, or using the override in short order because the voice commands typically frustrate me more than anything.

There are some interesting new studies regarding distractions while driving, most likely as a result of people using cell phones while in transit. One of them broke down the inattention into two distinct categories - mental focus on task (driving) and physical focus on task. The study concluded that anything restricting mental focus on task is a driving hazard and a greater risk. This includes a conversation with someone else in the vehicle.

So the reality is, if you are going to do anything other than drive while in the car, you are taking unnecessary risks with measurable consequences.
Old 04-18-07, 01:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Actually, it's a common phenomenon, and something Magellan knows very well called target fixation. The driver's of the vehicles are looking at the police cars, wondering what is going on, and very naturally steering right into them.

This is one of the reasons I do not believe pulling over to the side of the road is a safer option. This is far more common than most people would like to believe.
Old 04-18-07, 01:53 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I guarantee the drivers in those vans are idiots who should not have been behind the wheel of any motor vehicle!
Old 04-18-07, 02:08 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

This was a joke.
Old 04-18-07, 02:31 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Through these many threads I think we’ve exhausted the subject and are just repeating ourselves. Let’s leave it with a consensus that everyone behind the wheel should do what they believe is appropriate to be a safe driver.
Old 04-18-07, 02:37 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

This was a joke.
I know... I lol'ed at your original post... Especially since the van's looked like they were from the 70s or something... Funny to think about a 70's van with nav
Old 05-29-07, 05:24 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I found a few other annoying things I can't stand:

1) Even with the car in park, and the seatbelt buzzer disabled, if you don't have your seatbelt on the light continuously flashes on the dashboard... When the car is in PARK!!! Sheesh...

2) When you put the car in gear, with the door open, the car makes this LOUD non-stop been and says "Place shift level into Park position"... This is really annoying since I routinely move my car about 10 feet to wash it and leave the door open so I can see the curb placement right next to me...
Old 05-29-07, 05:35 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
I found a few other annoying things I can't stand:

1) Even with the car in park, and the seatbelt buzzer disabled, if you don't have your seatbelt on the light continuously flashes on the dashboard... When the car is in PARK!!! Sheesh...
Please seek counselling...

Quick Reply: Safety features debate - Let's get it on...