IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Front Brakes for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 04:09 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS2Fizzle
hey lexo, what brake pads are you using, OEM or aftermarket? Props for doing a DIY brake pad thread with steps bro.
I am using OEM but the new Pads that are out from the Dealership $75. (Replacements) for the old OEM that came with it. and thanks for the prop's.
Old 02-10-07, 04:14 PM
LexyIS350
Driver

Lexo what did you use to push the piston back in? It looks like the bar from a big screwdriver.
Old 02-10-07, 04:21 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not resurfacing the rotors then just pull the pins out and get yourself a screwdriver and get it in between the rotor and the pads and pry the pads back, don't worry about the rotor you are not going to damage it in any way at all by doing this. You should also be opening the bleeder screw on the brake calipers before pushing the piston, this will lessen the force required to push the pistons in and also you shouldn't force the fluid backwards through the system, you could overflow the master cylinder reservoir or possibly damage the internal seals of the braking components, although the later is not likely it is still possible.
Old 02-10-07, 04:22 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexyIS350
Lexo what did you use to push the piston back in? It looks like the bar from a big screwdriver.

Belive it or not it was just an old bar that held up an iron board that was in the garage but you can use a big screwdriver if you want but I recommend placeing the caliper on it's side on a small step stool or stack a couple of 2X6's together so that you can lay the caliper on it's side and push down on the rings 1 at a time alternating them the flip the caliper over and do the other 2 rings.
Old 02-10-07, 04:33 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by l1tech
If your not resurfacing the rotors then just pull the pins out and get yourself a screwdriver and get it in between the rotor and the pads and pry the pads back, don't worry about the rotor you are not going to damage it in any way at all by doing this. You should also be opening the bleeder screw on the brake calipers before pushing the piston, this will lessen the force required to push the pistons in and also you shouldn't force the fluid backwards through the system, you could overflow the master cylinder reservoir or possibly damage the internal seals of the braking components, although the later is not likely it is still possible.
Isn't the 250 and the 350 different in Front Brakes? I thought they were. I guess you have tried doing this already. I will try that the next time I change out my brakes and let you know if it is possible or not, I guess from me doing it the first time that I thought the calipers had to come out like the rest of the rides I've had before, and I honestly think it is still impossible to do what you guys claim but I still hope this post helps people out.
Old 02-10-07, 04:38 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexo350
You know I spoke with the Parts Department at the Dealer and he told me that is why they changed out to the new Brake pads because the ones for our ride wear out too quick, that was the complaint they were getting not because of the enormous amount of Brake Dust. I just got done with mine this morning and thought doing a DIY would help people out because of the price they charge to change out the Brakes at the dealrship. but it is not hard at all. trust me it's cake.
I'm not worried about doing it myself -actually, I don't even own an Is yet. But, it is in the final running for my next car which I'll be getting in the next 2 months. I have an SUV (VW Touareg) and drive it pretty hard... and brake quite hard as well. Had it since Summer of '03... and I still have quite a bit left on my pads!! (36k on the car).

Even if you purchased your IS back in Nov of '05... I'd venture to guess that you have about 16k on the car in that case. So, you are saying that this is a common enough problem that Lexus IS brakes generally need to be replaced every 15k - 20k??

That won't be a deal breaker for me - but it definately goes as a HUGE negative against my decision on the IS. I'm used to having vehicles that can go at least 40k!! I thought Lexus was better than this???

You said the dealer is going with new pads - not sure I understood. you saying the stock cars are coming from the manufacturer with better pads now or that the pads you used to replace the originals with are different?
Old 02-10-07, 04:44 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexo350
I will try that the next time I change out my brakes and let you know if it is possible or not,
Again, maybe I need to rethink going with Lexus. I'm just not used to driving around a car that I even need to think about the "next time I change out my brakes."

Do you drive abnormally hard? Anyone else have any thoughts as to if this is a problem with the IS in general or if it is just limited to the few who drive their cars EXTREMELY hard???
Old 02-10-07, 04:52 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by l1tech
If your not resurfacing the rotors then just pull the pins out and get yourself a screwdriver and get it in between the rotor and the pads and pry the pads back, don't worry about the rotor you are not going to damage it in any way at all by doing this.
yup, but the way i do brakes is i do one pad at a time, so i would push the right pistons in and put in the new pad in and push the left pistons in and install the new one. usually only takes 10-15 mins for brake systems like these.
Old 02-10-07, 04:57 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
I'm not worried about doing it myself -actually, I don't even own an Is yet. But, it is in the final running for my next car which I'll be getting in the next 2 months. I have an SUV (VW Touareg) and drive it pretty hard... and brake quite hard as well. Had it since Summer of '03... and I still have quite a bit left on my pads!! (36k on the car).

Even if you purchased your IS back in Nov of '05... I'd venture to guess that you have about 16k on the car in that case. So, you are saying that this is a common enough problem that Lexus IS brakes generally need to be replaced every 15k - 20k??

That won't be a deal breaker for me - but it definately goes as a HUGE negative against my decision on the IS. I'm used to having vehicles that can go at least 40k!! I thought Lexus was better than this???

You said the dealer is going with new pads - not sure I understood. you saying the stock cars are coming from the manufacturer with better pads now or that the pads you used to replace the originals with are different?
Your right on that some where in 05 I believe in September or so, and I got 30k on the car but it's because I love it and because I commute an hour a day to work 1 way but now that we bought a Mini Cooper I use that to work and my wife uses my ride but we switch every Friday specially now that I just got my new wheels. but back to the topic that is why Lexus changed out to a new Brake pad for the IS350 and a few other cars because they claimed that too many customers had complained that the brakes were wearing out at around 15k so that is why the replacement. I don't think you have to worry about that because they will probably use the new part on upcoming IS's. congrats on the purchase...I'm sure you'll LOVE it too.
Old 02-10-07, 05:05 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wolverine
yup, but the way i do brakes is i do one pad at a time, so i would push the right pistons in and put in the new pad in and push the left pistons in and install the new one. usually only takes 10-15 mins for brake systems like these.
So I take it you haven't changed out the brakes on an IS350 yet or your IS.
Old 02-10-07, 06:59 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

brakes are brakes. most cars have similer designs. it IS350 brakes looks like the supra TT brakes and ive done them without having to remove the caliper at all. when it stops raining ill take the brakes off of my IS350 and see wassup, ok? bet i can do it without having to remove the caliper. i may not have done it on the IS before but Ive done hella brake jobs before.

edit:
whats the difference between the IS350 brakes and the brakes on this supra TT

Last edited by wolverine; 02-10-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 07:48 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think Lexus is going to start offering the lower performance pads as "standard". They are just offering them as free replacements to people that complain about excess dust. There are also PLENTY of people getting lots of miles out of their stock pads. I wouldn't be surprised if most got more than 30K out of them.

However, I appreciate the DIY on this. I've always done my own brake work, but this is my first Toyota product, and it was obviously going to be very different from all the others I've done.

FWIW, there isn't ANY reason to be worried about overflowing the brake reservoir unless you've added more fluid since the brakes were new. Just do one wheel at a time, then pumpe the brake pedal to seat the pistons before continuing to the next wheel.
Old 02-10-07, 08:38 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

This is the tool we all need, we just don't need to spend $239! I saw them doing brakes during LeMans last year and have wanted one since. Whenever Hawk comes out with some pads I 'm going to change mine out too. http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/brmato.html
Old 02-10-07, 09:38 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the guide... I've got over 23k miles on my IS350 with the original pads, so the life of the pads really does depend on your driving habits. It's not a lexus thing.
Old 02-10-07, 11:45 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Buford
This is the tool we all need, we just don't need to spend $239! I saw them doing brakes during LeMans last year and have wanted one since. Whenever Hawk comes out with some pads I 'm going to change mine out too. http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/brmato.html
You don't need to pay $239 for a pad spreader, those things come in various forms (craftsman, snap-on, mac, etc.) and cost at most $50.

No word on Hawk, but EBC does have Green Stuff (ceramic) and Red Stuff pads for the 2IS.

Quick Reply: DIY Front Brakes for IS350