IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TRUE LIFE: I Still haven't floored the car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 11:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love flooring the car... I do it daily... The best feeling is when the car is brand new... aka less than 100 miles on the odo... Makes the car faster IMHO... Too bad you are past that point, now your IS350 will never be as fast as it could have been...

http://www.infoarena.com/lexus/misc/redline.avi
Old 01-24-07, 11:28 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime you floor it, thats a dollar of gas wasted! haha
Old 01-24-07, 11:44 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Love flooring the car... I do it daily... The best feeling is when the car is brand new... aka less than 100 miles on the odo... Makes the car faster IMHO... Too bad you are past that point, now your IS350 will never be as fast as it could have been...
So the car is faster when the engine isn't yet broken in? That goes against everything I've ever seen, experienced, and heard.
Old 01-24-07, 11:47 AM
drewj12
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Wow @ this thread. I thought I seen them all, but wow.
thats an awesome picture in your signature
Old 01-24-07, 11:54 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
So the car is faster when the engine isn't yet broken in? That goes against everything I've ever seen, experienced, and heard.
No.

The car is faster if you floor it during break-in... Since the OP is past that point and babied the car during the break-in, his engine will never have the output it could have had...
Old 01-24-07, 11:58 AM
drewj12
Rookie

Originally Posted by ff_
1) According to the auto manufacturers, a cautious, gradual break-in is what ensures that the rings set correctly, not beating the engine with full-throttle runs. Further, from what I've heard, beating it hard can cause uneven wear on the rings because of the high heat associated with the particularily tight clearance between the new rings and piston walls. If you have some data to support your claim, please post it. Otherwise, I'd suggest not stating your claim as fact.

2) From everything I've heard, the gasolines today are enhanced with detergents to ensure that deposits don't build up on the valves, etc. Still, I don't know why premium fuel would lead to any more buildup than the other 2 grades that are available.
how many miles do you recommend to break in the car? sorry if this was already answered.
Old 01-24-07, 12:00 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

The IS is throttle-by-wire, which means that the gas pedal does nothing more than twiddle a pair of potentiometers which are read by the computer. The actual angle of the throttle plate is moved by a stepper motor, again controlled by the computer. Unlike in an older car with a throttle cable, there is not a direct correlation between the gas pedal and the throttle plate. So, even though you may never have floored the gas pedal, it doesn't mean that the computer hasn't given the car wide open throttle.
Old 01-24-07, 12:49 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The car is faster if you floor it during break-in...
You stated this as fact, so you must be pretty sure about your answer. Please explain.

I don't see how a car could be faster during break in. If anything, I would think that it'd be fastest at the precise moment when the drivetrain is perfectly broken in.
Old 01-24-07, 12:57 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
You stated this as fact, so you must be pretty sure about your answer. Please explain.

I don't see how a car could be faster during break in. If anything, I would think that it'd be fastest at the precise moment when the drivetrain is perfectly broken in.
Since my previous post explaining my original post obviously did not clear things up for you, let me rephrase, one last time (hopefully)...

"The car is faster AFTER BREAK-IN if you floor it during break-in..."
Old 01-24-07, 01:02 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_

You still don't understand what he is saying. His premise is that the engine will be more powerful later in its service life if it is broken in hard, as opposed to being broken in according to the engine manufacturers directions.

This web page talks about the rationale behind that advice: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

(personally, I've always broken in my cars according to the manufacturers recommendations)
Old 01-24-07, 01:10 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Since my previous post explaining my original post obviously did not clear things up for you, let me rephrase, one last time (hopefully)...

"The car is faster AFTER BREAK-IN if you floor it during break-in..."
Now that you state it that way, I understand your point. The way you stated it "The car is faster if you floor it during break-in" could be taken in more than one context.
Old 01-24-07, 01:15 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A break in period is for the entire car.people just think that it only for the motor.the motor is most likely broken in after a good warm up and 200 miles of progressive driving.running the motor at many diff rpm ranges.the reason for no full throttle pulls is so the clutches in the auto tranny get broken in properly(no glazeing).but some light stop and go driving after the 200 mile range should break the tranny in just fine.suspenion takes the longest to break in .when we build race motors we have them broken in ,in under an hour and pull the oil filter for a change.
Old 01-24-07, 02:06 PM
cvex
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeremy
.the reason for no full throttle pulls is so the clutches in the auto tranny get broken in properly(no glazeing).but some light stop and go driving after the 200 mile range should break the tranny in just fine.cool:
I dont think Auto tranny has any clutches to be glaze. Auto tranny = torque converter, hence hydraulic fluid . Are you sure about you building race motors?
Old 01-24-07, 02:26 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cvex
I dont think Auto tranny has any clutches to be glaze. Auto tranny = torque converter, hence hydraulic fluid . Are you sure about you building race motors?
If your going to call someone out get your facts straight!Their are many clutches in a auto tranny,in fact there is 4-8 per gear.hey don`t take it from me jacka$!.call your lexus dealer. ask a tech.YOU KNOW THE FRIST THREE WORDS OF YOUR STATEMENT SUM IT UP PERFECT...

Last edited by HKS350; 01-24-07 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-24-07, 02:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,857 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
lobuxracer, so I can carefully break my new engine in for 10 minutes, and then go beat the daylights out of it to finish the procedure? OK, I'll let you know how that works out for me.

My opinion is that going ~1000 miles before pushing the engine is probably overkill. But I don't see how pushing it hard, right away, is going to result in an engine that's less likely to burn oil. I understand the need to prevent crowning on the cylinder walls, but it's never been an obvious issue for me, and I've always followed the recommended break-in procedure pretty closely.
That's not at all what I said. I said the rings break-in in about 10 minutes. Full break-in takes around an hour. Progressively greater thermal load with breaks in between steps to allow the pistons to cool and resize themselves.

Here's what I really said.
And here with dissenting opinion.
And here.

Wonderful you follow their instructions. The last time I did that I had an engine that burned a quart every thousand miles. It was a 5F-SE in a Celica. Never will I make that mistake again. The rings never properly seated because I babied it (my second brand new car.) The IS was broken in and brakes bedded at the end of the first hour I owned the car.

Jeremy - you have good intentions, but your words are not conducive to a discussion. This is the Internet. These are not personal attacks and you have no need to defend yourself. Just state your case.

BTW, I disagree about glazing the clutches, and yes, I know there are a few of them in the gearbox. If the fluid is up to temperature, the ECM will take care of the rest. Notice the gearbox won't even shift into 5th or 6th until the fluid reaches a minimum temperature. They've done a lot of work figuring out how to make their gearboxes survive warranty and they've programmed the ECM to help them stay out of warranty repairs.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-24-07 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: TRUE LIFE: I Still haven't floored the car...