IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 100% Japanese?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 02:10 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to yourself, will you?

You sound ridiculous. When people try incite conflict with retarded statements, I don't mind attacking them personally. In your case, I made no exception.
Old 12-28-06, 02:11 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Belmont
Listen to yourself, will you?

You sound ridiculous. When people try incite conflict with retarded statements, I don't mind attacking them personally. In your case, I made no exception.
Glad you admit it...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247192
Old 12-28-06, 07:35 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHusker
Yes, the IS is MADE IN JAPAN.

NO it is NOT 100% Japan. It is 95% Japan and 5% foreign parts. That is what I remember seeing on the sticker. I'll check to make sure when I pick up my car this afternoon.
MY 2006 sticker said 100% Japan. However, as you know the lip spoiler, mats, truck mat and net are port installed. Whether or not they are of Japanese origin I have no idea. But does it really matter if they are not?
Old 12-28-06, 07:46 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

The most important thing is that the engine and tranny are from Japan.
Old 12-28-06, 09:35 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phatboyc
My stock Dunlops SP Sports Max says made in Japan on them...
After this post I got curious and looked myself, sure enough my Dunlops say 'made in Japan' . . . I know Goodyear now owns Dunlop, so naturally I assumed all Dunlops were now made in the US. I wonder where the Michelin PS2 are made now . . .
Old 12-29-06, 04:46 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Can't believe this thread has 4 pages already!

Why does everyone care SO much about where it is made? As long as the core parts of the car are made in japan. Also, everything is DESIGNED to SPECS in Japan so, it WILL be built to THAT SPEC no matter where it is built!!
Old 12-30-06, 01:07 AM
JerryRig
Driver School Candidate

It makes a big difference for me. I'm a potential customer of Lexus, as I've been eyeing a new IS350 to use as a daily driver. However, I'm very pro-domestic when it comes to autos, to the point where I feel some guilt over buying a car with near-100% Japanese content. This concept probably doesn't matter to most on this forum, but I have family ties to employees in Detroit and am mostly "anti-Toyota" on every product they offer outside of the Lexus nameplate.

Yea, that's just something I'm going to have to get over if I do end up buying an IS350.
Old 12-30-06, 09:17 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryRig
I have family ties to employees in Detroit and am mostly "anti-Toyota" on every product they offer outside of the Lexus nameplate.
That's an odd stance, as Lexus vehicles have less domestic content than many of the more plebeian Toyotas. The Camry and Avalon, for example, are assembled in Georgetown, Kentucky and have predominantly domestic parts content.
Old 12-30-06, 09:25 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
That's an odd stance, as Lexus vehicles have less domestic content than many of the more plebeian Toyotas. The Camry and Avalon, for example, are assembled in Georgetown, Kentucky and have predominantly domestic parts content.
Agreed!

Trust me coz I work there! Camry, Avalon, & Solara are built in KY. Also, majority of the suppliers are around KY too... so, it's more US than Japan!
Old 12-30-06, 09:40 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
The most important thing is that the engine and tranny are from Japan.
Now I dont want to diminish a sense of community....

but why?

There are non-Japanese companies that can build some great motors-

And there are some motors built in Japan that are junk-

Being built in Japan does not matter if the engineering is there-

Look at the American V8s for instance- some of the best built motors out there- and not made in Japan-

I think the most important thing is that the engineering is present behind the vehicle regardless of where it comes from-

A true car enthusiast does not beleive that a car must be built in country X in order to be good-

I think there are some people around here that are a little bit close minded to that fact-
Old 12-30-06, 10:10 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500

but why?

Look at the American V8s for instance- some of the best built motors out there- and not made in Japan-

I think the most important thing is that the engineering is present behind the vehicle regardless of where it comes from-

A true car enthusiast does not beleive that a car must be built in country X in order to be good-

I think there are some people around here that are a little bit close minded to that fact-
I believe he was only refering to the IS350 in particular....
Old 12-30-06, 10:25 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I just want to point out here...

Since I am the OP that I hold no grudge against anything that isn't Japanese.

LOL my next car will be a yellow vette. If thats not American I don't know what is.

The reason why I wanted to know is because a buddy of mine has a Suby and said his car was 100% Japanese. Had I known this thread would have gone crazy outside of silly trivia I wouldn't have posted it.

Seriously! Don't read anymore into it.

Everyone have a happy Holiday.
Old 12-30-06, 11:46 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

but why?

Without trying to start a Japanese vs. Domestic war, here, most car enthusiasts have a very dominant preference for either, not both. True, some will go either way but you will find that the true die-hard will prefer one or the other. The Japanese cars (especially Lexus) have been proven again and again to be more reliable, better in quality, cheaper to operate and have better resale values than most domestic cars. If you ask me, the reliability alone proves that Japanese engineering is superior. NO domestic V8 can even come close to the silky smoothness and quietness of a Lexus V8. The LS460 revs like a Singer sewing machine!
Old 12-30-06, 12:34 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Without trying to start a Japanese vs. Domestic war, here, most car enthusiasts have a very dominant preference for either, not both. True, some will go either way but you will find that the true die-hard will prefer one or the other. The Japanese cars (especially Lexus) have been proven again and again to be more reliable, better in quality, cheaper to operate and have better resale values than most domestic cars. If you ask me, the reliability alone proves that Japanese engineering is superior. NO domestic V8 can even come close to the silky smoothness and quietness of a Lexus V8. The LS460 revs like a Singer sewing machine!

I actually agree with you on this- Most Japanese cars have much better resale value- are better in quality and are cheaper to maintain...exc..

I personally think that the American companies can build some excellent V8 motors- they just are targeting a different market-

When a person buys a Lexus V8- they expect refined- when a person buys an American V8, they expect a more muscular feel-

I dont believe that the two can be compared, that you can say one has better engineering then the other, because in essence they were designed with different purposes in mind-

But most American cars are not that great, I will agree there, I like the way you say "most" though, because that is the truth I was looking for-

where others seemed to imply "all" which is what I dont agree with-

I do feel it takes a certain level of technology to create cars like the Z06 and slap the GM 100,000 mile warranty on a 505hp race car-

same goes with Ford on the GT500 to warranty a motor with that much power in a car that with so much weight- you know those parts are under stress..(actually the DOHC motors are pretty smooth in the higher RPMs as well)
Old 12-30-06, 01:18 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I actually agree with you on this- Most Japanese cars have much better resale value- are better in quality and are cheaper to maintain...exc..
But the original poster was talking about country of manufacture, not about the nameplate. Would you say that the Toyota Camry has a worse resale value, is worse in quality and more expensive to maintain because it is made in the US rather than Japan?

Quick Reply: IS350 100% Japanese?