IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mad As Hell (mad because I now have door dings)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 02:18 AM
aznxnyques
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Mad As Hell (mad because I now have door dings)

i got a couple od gins on my passenger side door.... i think it is from the jeep tat parks next to me in my garage... i live in an apt so i dunno... wat do i do???? should i ask they to pay for it even though i aint 100%sure...... so i mess up their car even though i might not be sure???? (actually this would be my first choice)

very angry right now because its not just 1 ding its a COUPLE of dings on the door and the height would be just right for it too =T
Old 12-13-06, 03:00 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the dings. That said, are you asking if you should mess up their car, or did you already mess their car up? I sure hope you didn't touch their car. As for asking them to pay for something when you have no proof that wouldn't be right either. If you have proof they created the dings either by matching paint transfer, witness, or video, by all means make them pay. Until you have proof, don't ask them for anything and don't mess with their car. Only punks purposely vandalized someone else's car even if the other person is an A hole. Don't mess with another person's car period.
Old 12-13-06, 04:40 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Sorry to hear about the dings. That said, are you asking if you should mess up their car, or did you already mess their car up? I sure hope you didn't touch their car. As for asking them to pay for something when you have no proof that wouldn't be right either. If you have proof they created the dings either by matching paint transfer, witness, or video, by all means make them pay. Until you have proof, don't ask them for anything and don't mess with their car. Only punks purposely vandalized someone else's car even if the other person is an A hole. Don't mess with another person's car period.
Well said
Old 12-13-06, 05:05 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Not much you can do, but accept that these things happen. Take it to a paintless dent repair place, get 'em fixed, and move on.
Old 12-13-06, 05:32 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the others, retaliation is NOT the way to go. try to somehow get proof or suck it up.
Old 12-13-06, 05:58 AM
gassman
Pole Position

Door dings suck, but that comes with owning a car. Revenge will not make you feel better. I was the first to scratch my car so I don't feel bad now when others screw it up.
Old 12-13-06, 06:01 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

from now on park far far away from everyone else. i have one ding on my rear quarter panel from when I was down in Hickville Richmond Virginia...there were a bunch of drunk nascar fans at the hotel I was staying at. Somehow the Mecury SUV next to me not only put a ding in my car, they managed to ding it deep enough to almost completely puncture the rear quarter panel. It's like they did it intentionally. My advice: park away far away..or close to other luxury/ sports/ well kept cars. I tend to spot out the vehicles I know that are not driven by mindless door swinging zombies.
Old 12-13-06, 06:37 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
from now on park far far away from everyone else. i have one ding on my rear quarter panel from when I was down in Hickville Richmond Virginia...there were a bunch of drunk nascar fans at the hotel I was staying at. Somehow the Mecury SUV next to me not only put a ding in my car, they managed to ding it deep enough to almost completely puncture the rear quarter panel. It's like they did it intentionally. My advice: park away far away..or close to other luxury/ sports/ well kept cars. I tend to spot out the vehicles I know that are not driven by mindless door swinging zombies.
My experience with luxury owners is quite the opposite. I have seen folks in Mercedes/Lexus/BMW throw the door a lot. I try to guage it by the model and make, then by if they have the door protectors installed on their car. I had to put protectors on my wifes car because the kids are little and throw the doors sometimes. Thus, I don't park next to soccer mom type cars.
Old 12-13-06, 07:01 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default Mindless zombies

You can't have anything nice out here these days. Its bad enough if it at the mall, but when it encroaches to where you live, thats worse.

I had person do the same to my old Eclipse, after the door made contact, hell it looked like the shoved it on it so you could really see the crease. I don't condone violence, but cutting the valve stems sure makes you feel better.

I feel your pain Dabigman. $40k+ car and some jackass can't leave it alone. Hope you can get it fixed
Old 12-13-06, 07:05 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznxnyques
i got a couple od gins on my passenger side door.... i think it is from the jeep tat parks next to me in my garage... i live in an apt so i dunno... wat do i do???? should i ask they to pay for it even though i aint 100%sure...... so i mess up their car even though i might not be sure???? (actually this would be my first choice)

very angry right now because its not just 1 ding its a COUPLE of dings on the door and the height would be just right for it too =T
Don't be a ding-bat! Damaging other ppls cars just 'cause yours got damaged is asking for more of the same. They'll suspect that you did the damage and deliberately mess up your car even more, like maybe keying the whole side of it. Is that what you want? You need PROOF of who did the dings, and then you can request that they pay for the repair.
Old 12-13-06, 08:56 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I would at least talk to the guy with the Jeep, in a friendly manner of course, and say that if he did dig your car “accidentally” you would appreciate his being more careful from now on. Without proof, that’s about as far as you can go. And you’re giving him a subtle warning with the goal of preventing a future occurrence. Then get the dig repaired and hope for the best.

BTW, I do have these plastic stick on sheets that I got on the internet that match the color of my G35 that I slap on my doors whenever I know I will be parking a bit close to another car. After nearly four years (touching wood here) my doors are still virgin.
Old 12-13-06, 09:04 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan
I would at least talk to the guy with the Jeep, in a friendly manner of course, and say that if he did dig your car “accidentally” you would appreciate his being more careful from now on. Without proof, that’s about as far as you can go. And you’re giving him a subtle warning with the goal of preventing a future occurrence. Then get the dig repaired and hope for the best.

BTW, I do have these plastic stick on sheets that I got on the internet that match the color of my G35 that I slap on my doors whenever I know I will be parking a bit close to another car. After nearly four years (touching wood here) my doors are still virgin.
Are they magnetic or something? Can you post a name/link please?
Old 12-13-06, 09:21 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dabigman
Are they magnetic or something? Can you post a name/link please?
Yes, here's the link:
http://dingdefender.com

They are magnetic so you can just slap them on. I keep my pair in the trunk and use them as necessary.
Old 12-13-06, 05:51 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
Yes, here's the link:
http://dingdefender.com

They are magnetic so you can just slap them on. I keep my pair in the trunk and use them as necessary.
I have a pair of these too. They are made from that flexible rubberized magnet material you find on refrigerator magnets. They seem to work well, although they get stiff in cold weather and don't lay flat. You also want to be careful when you apply them to your car. Don't drag them across the finish of the car, especially when its dirty, otherwise you'll get scratches.

I use the dingdefenders when I can't find a protected parking spot, e.g., an extra wide parking space or one at a corner of a lot that has no one next to me or some other barrier. I also never park next to two door cars, minivans, or big suvs or trucks, or people who are too far over in their parking spot. Bottom line, I'm still ding free after 10 months.
Old 12-13-06, 07:16 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aznxnyques

you probably live in an apartment that has assigned parking space so you can't park anywhere you want huh?

Quick Reply: Mad As Hell (mad because I now have door dings)