IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 06:21 PM
boss22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody said: Dont buy Lexus with Manual Transmission, and don't buy BMW with Auto tranny - true...
Old 11-21-11, 10:00 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like it's mainly just a bunch of people that aren't used to driving manual.
Old 11-22-11, 07:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

no, it's mainly that the 250 manual is a crappy transmission

the manual in the supra was fine

the manual in the IS300 or SC300 were fine too (long as you didn't add a ton of power to em)

Lobuxracer has gone into detail on some of the design/engineering shortcomings of the 250 manual on a few occasions
Old 11-22-11, 10:47 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shui3000
Seems like it's mainly just a bunch of people that aren't used to driving manual.
-1 for flamebait. Why do you assume that we don't know how to drive manuals? Sounds like
1. You've never driven an IS250 MT.
2. You don't know as much about manuals as you think you do.

All MTs are different. The Honda Civic Si, S2000 and Acura TSX have the slickest, smoothest transmission on the market. Better than even Porsche, BMW and all the supercars out there. Go figure. Some are silky smooth, like Honda's 6-sp; others are rough, like most truck transmissions.

The IS250's tranny is harsher than most, notchier, and definitely less pleasant to drive. There have been many issues with its production worthiness, but given that the MT commands less than 1% of the US market, Lexus seems to ignore us as inconsequential.

Originally Posted by 07dzdcfzd
can you confirm if this helped the situation? i have an 07 250 6MT and it chatters to all h!@#. has 63k on it and im second owner. car chatters and shakes bad on the take off. will fidanza lightweight flywheel and your clutch set up fix this problem?

I can't really speak to the chatter, honestly. I had some notchiness issues, but no chatter on my transmission. I'm currently at 102K miles.

The car is smooth on take up and revs drop off more quickly. The transmission is less notchy and smoother to shift. Right now, there's an annoying squeak that only sounds on take up and in first gear. I'm guessing that it's the clutch disc being new, but I'm going to have to drive 500 city miles before the issue might disappear.

I went through a lot of headache for this and I'll post more on the other thread.
Old 12-02-11, 09:15 PM
LJimmy
Driver School Candidate

After reading this whole thread ( and recently being a new Lexus MT IS 250 Owner) it makes me want to question, Is there any physical malfunction with the issue or is it just noise we are talking about. I know in some posts it seemed to affect shifting and so forth, but are those isolated cases?
Old 12-24-11, 12:11 PM
bokiLexus
Driver School Candidate

i only have a problem with my synchro when shifting from 4th to 5th at 5000 rpm, it grinds a little so i took it in and the tech came with me for a drive and heard it as well. now lexus is going to fix it on the 28th and i think they said they will change the whole tranny. my car right now has 90 000km. i never heard any chatter or anything like that from the clutch other people are experiencing, so i think this is isolated
Old 12-30-11, 09:44 AM
bokiLexus
Driver School Candidate

Got my car back today with new tranny in. It shifts nice and strong now it has that strong sport feel but smooth as well. So far so good we will see later on if anything changes. They were very quick and friendly about it and had a loaner 250 AWD its insane in the snow nothing can stop it.
Old 01-01-12, 06:49 PM
jdanielsIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bokiLexus
Got my car back today with new tranny in. It shifts nice and strong now it has that strong sport feel but smooth as well. So far so good we will see later on if anything changes. They were very quick and friendly about it and had a loaner 250 AWD its insane in the snow nothing can stop it.
Please keep us posted on how things go over time ...

I'm still furious with myself that I didn't do more research and spend some extended time with the car before buying my '06 IS 6 MT. Only has 32k miles on it, I've had it for 2.5 years now, love almost everything about the car except the horrible flywheel/clutch/transmission. My car is covered for 6 more months under the Lexus CPO warranty ... think I can get the dealer to do anything for me?
Old 01-02-12, 12:38 PM
bokiLexus
Driver School Candidate

if you have any grinding gear noise and they can duplicate it like mine they will change your tranny, mine grinded from 4th to 5th at 5000 rpm. i just drove my car for 500km and it feels good its breaking in nicely with nothing to hear so far. and my clutch and flywheel dont make any noise at all so i am not worried about that like other people and as soon as my clutch goes i will get fidanza flywheel and spec stage 2 clutch like other people did here, and i understand some people have problems and some dont, so i am hopping i dont hear any noise when i do that setup.
what kind of problem to you have with you clutch, flywheel and tranny?
Old 01-02-12, 02:09 PM
jdanielsIS
Driver School Candidate

Hey Boki. I do not have any grinding going into or out of any gear. What I have is the "can full of marbles" sound when engaging the clutch as I pull away from a full stop. I also have clutch "judder" if I don't get the clutch/throttle interplay EXACTLY right when trying to pull away slowly and smoothly from a stop. (And yes I do know how to drive stick, been driving manuals constantly for 34 years). I also have some noise when downshifting, say, from 3rd to 2nd, which I can minimize by double clutching and rev matching ... but why should I need to do that in a 2006 Lexus? My 1995 Miata with 120k on the clock is SOOO smooth to up shift, down shift, heal-toe, whatever, whenever ... my 17 year old 120K mile $3K car puts my 6 year old, 32k mile $35K car to shame!!! Anyway, I've had the IS for over 2.5 years now, and it still drives the same ... so I don't think its getting worse, and I don't think its going to "break down" or anything, it just sounds cheap and awful, and is terrible to drive in slow-speed, stop and go situations. Its actually embarassing to have people get in the car with me and hear it ... sounds like I'm driving some P.O.S. and/or I suck at driving stick.
Old 01-07-12, 03:29 PM
bokiLexus
Driver School Candidate

yeah sometimes i have that same sound pulling away in first gear but i get rid of the sound with just adding a bit more gas, try that it should work. and i do too have a bit of a clunk shifting from 1st to 2nd anywhere from 2-3 rpm if you shift a bit higher up from 3rpm you dont hear a clunk into 2nd, and i believe you drive good but its just how the car is made nothing really we can do about it, but if you can replicate that sound with a exus tech they MIGHT change your tranny or somehow else try to fix it. but its not a really problem hearing that can of marbles sound like i said give a bit more gas and let your car run 30 sec to a minute b4 driving it so you let your tranny and engine warm up a little so they get moving cuz when i drive right away my car gets that knelling kind of drop when i try to go and then i give it gas and it moves normal its just cuz my car is not warmed up nicely to work and its cold outside right not -15C. i to am a bit dissapointed in it making that sound sometimes but i have a f sport exhaust and k&n air intake so i dont really hear it so it doesnt bother me as much. i drove a lot of other cars that i owned audi 90, honda accord, acura intergra gsr, and even is300 b4 this one and they didnt make sounds like that but as long as my car is running and has no problem with anything like it shouldn't i am happy and my cousin is a mechanic as well so i guess i am okay somewhat. i hope lexus keeps making manual cars as long as they do i will own one of their cars if they stop making it would suck cuz they make beautiful cars and good quality as well. but they should make a better working clutch/tranny/flywheel and just keep using that system in every other manual they make after that i dont mind if its a old design system as long as it works properly. ( so LEXUS DONT stop making manuals cuz i will be forced to go to another company for a car and i dont wanna do that)
jdanielsIS let me know if i helped you in stopping making that noise i hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-10-12, 06:21 PM
jdanielsIS
Driver School Candidate

Hey Boki, yes I agree, when I give it more revs, it sounds less marble-y and is less likely to judder, but again, sometimes I'm in stop and go traffic, and I really need to inch a long, so a lot of throttle doesn't work in those situations. My car is actually better when its cold .. the warmer it gets, the louder the marbles and the more revs it needs to engage smoothly. Agree with you, this is a beautiful car, I really like everything else about it, but honestly, I won't buy another Lexus unless they make a GIGANTIC improvement in the manual transmission (if they even offer a manual) in the next generation IS.
Old 03-28-12, 10:40 AM
candres
Driver School Candidate

Default clicking noise

After reading this post its not clear to me what sound its ok and what is not. As such, I found in youtube a video posted by someone who owns an IS250 that exhibits the same sound that mine makes. After listening to the video, can someone tell me for sure if the sound is normal?

Old 03-28-12, 11:14 AM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by candres
After reading this post its not clear to me what sound its ok and what is not. As such, I found in youtube a video posted by someone who owns an IS250 that exhibits the same sound that mine makes. After listening to the video, can someone tell me for sure if the sound is normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR1N-gONuLw
yep, something is totally messed up in your motor. you should bring it to the dealership

just kidding. its normal, all the IS sounds like that.
Old 04-07-12, 03:13 PM
Tendi23
Driver School Candidate

I just got my 08 is250 back last night after Lexus performed the TSB and replaced the transmission. The rattling noise is gone but there is still a loud spinning sound. My car only has 33k on it. This is why I'm selling it . I have a few parts I'm selling off it as well. New shift boot and e brake boot from redline.com sparco globe r shift **** and a AEM Eti intake. All are in new condition. Pm me for details

Quick Reply: IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem