IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low Tire Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 01:35 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not 100% sure on this because the manual is kind of vague on it, so dont quote me on this but if someone wants to try it and let everyone know --

1. Make sure the tires are cold and you have not driven the car for a while
2. set the tire pressure in all the tires to the same pressure and to whatever value you want to use as the minimum tire pressure (the value that if the pressure drops below xxx psi, you want the warning lights to go off)
3. There should be a pressure initialization switch underneath the dash on the drivers side (you'll have to stick your head underneath there. It's pretty far back).
4. With the car parked and the engine running, press and hold the initialization button for around 3-4 seconds until you see the message "pressure initialized" and the flat-tire indicator flashes slowly 3 times. (not sure if the wording will be exactly the same, but something to that effect)
5. Leave the car running for at least 20 minutes (you can drive around if you want, but if you turn the car off earlier, you will have to start all over. Dont know if there will be a message telling you it is done)
6. add air to set the tire pressure to whatever "normal" value you want

I think this will set the baseline tire pressure that the TPMS system uses for determining when the tire is low. I dont have an IS but I have a 3GS and the information above was extracted from the owner's manual for the GS. I dont see why this sequence wouldn't work on the IS also.
Old 10-27-06, 01:36 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in DFW Texas, I have an 07 350 with 18 spyders. I had the warning lights come on, so I drove around and checked the pressure all were in the mid 20's, I put air in all the tires setting them at 32 re-intialized them system. So a week later the light goes off and I just ignore it and drive a good 3 miles and get this feeling I should check.. Yeah I had a completely flat tire , so I guess all in all the system is somewhat helpful. But if it helps any I was at the dealer yesterday and he told me that the system will go off at 28 pounds of pressure..
Old 10-27-06, 05:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

From the factory service manual:

Code:
Tire size                 Specified Value kPa (kgf*cm2, psi)
                           Front            Rear
205/55R16 89W              240 (2.4, 35)  260 (2.6, 38)
225/45R17 91V
225/45R17 90W              240 (2.4, 35)
245/45R17 95W                             260 (2.6, 38)
225/45R17 95V               240 (2.4, 35)
245/45R17 95V                             260 (2.6, 38)
225/40R18 88Y               240 (2.4, 35) 
255/40R 18 95Y                            260 (2.6, 38)
So anyone telling you anything else is not checking the factory documentation, they are just guessing and blowing smoke up your leg. NOTE: the front and rear pressures are ALL the same, no matter what tires you have.

Also from the Factory Service Manual -
TIRE PRESSURE WARNING RESET SWITCH
(SATELLITE SWITCH)
• By operating the tire pressure warning reset switch, the tire pressure warning ECU and receiver can be set to issue a warning at an inflation pressure that corresponds to the type of tires. Therefore, the dealer must set the warning threshold to the proper value in order to comply with the local regulations.
• Operate the tire pressure warning reset switch only after the inflation pressures of 4 tires have been adjusted on the vehicle.
• To initialize the system, press and hold the tire pressure warning reset switch for 3 seconds or longer with the engine switch on. After the system has been initialized, the warning light blinks 3 times (1 second on, 1 second off).
• During initialization, the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter measures the inflation pressure of the tires, and registers the signals that are transmitted into the tire pressure warning ECU and receiver at a
frequency of one per minute. The initialization process is completed when the signals from the 4 tires have been received.
• Initialization is usually completed in 2 or 3 minutes.
And
Precautions about the tire pressure;
• The tire pressures decrease naturally.
• In winter, as the tire pressure may decrease depending on the ambient temperature (The tire pressure decreases about 10 kPa (0.2 kgf/cm2,
1.45 psi) with the ambient temperature will be 10°C (°F) down.).
The tire pressures warning will be indicated easily, if the tire pressures are not adjusted when the ambient temperature is down.
Also from the New Car Features Manual -
The Tire Pressure Warning Receiver & ECU has detected that a tire inflation pressure becomes lower than the threshold. The threshold varies according to the initialization value.
Although none of the documentation directly states this, all the tests indicate this value to be significant - >5.8 psi pressure drop will turn on the low pressure indication. Example
Remove the valve core and rapidly reduce the pressure (above 40 kPa (0.4 kgf/cm2, 5.8 psi)/30 sec.).
HINT:
The transmitter ID can be transmitted by rapidly reducing the tire pressure.
I have also noted from practical experience that the 5.8 number seems to be right. So, in the unlikely event your car was delivered with the correct tire pressure and it dropped down to 32 psi (on an uncalibrated gas station gauge), it's no surprise to me that the light came on.

It's far more surprising that your dealership has not been properly trained on advising customers about problems with this system since it is Federally mandated for all MY 2008 cars, and it is present on all new or redesigned platforms. It even debuted on the 2007 Scion tC, and we know those cars are not even close to the same level of technological expectations as Lexus are.

If I were you I would call Lexus Corporate and tell them about the poor guidance you received from your dealer and suggest they receive the requisite training soon, or they will be inundated with calls from frustrated customers, who, like yourself, get very unhappy when the warning lights come on for any reason.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-27-06 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 05:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by toyemp
I'm not 100% sure on this because the manual is kind of vague on it, so dont quote me on this but if someone wants to try it and let everyone know --

1. Make sure the tires are cold and you have not driven the car for a while
2. set the tire pressure in all the tires to the same pressure and to whatever value you want to use as the minimum tire pressure (the value that if the pressure drops below xxx psi, you want the warning lights to go off)
3. There should be a pressure initialization switch underneath the dash on the drivers side (you'll have to stick your head underneath there. It's pretty far back).
4. With the car parked and the engine running, press and hold the initialization button for around 3-4 seconds until you see the message "pressure initialized" and the flat-tire indicator flashes slowly 3 times. (not sure if the wording will be exactly the same, but something to that effect)
5. Leave the car running for at least 20 minutes (you can drive around if you want, but if you turn the car off earlier, you will have to start all over. Dont know if there will be a message telling you it is done)
6. add air to set the tire pressure to whatever "normal" value you want

I think this will set the baseline tire pressure that the TPMS system uses for determining when the tire is low. I dont have an IS but I have a 3GS and the information above was extracted from the owner's manual for the GS. I dont see why this sequence wouldn't work on the IS also.

No, this is not the correct procedure for the IS. According to the 3GS Factory Service Manual, your description is basically correct. However, the FSM for the 3GS does not include any language about the pressure adjustments you describe. It just tells you to set the pressure to the specified pressure (230kPa, 2.3kgf/cm2, 33psi) and perform the initialization (including the 20 minute registration process). To test the system, it says let out 20 kPa (2.9 psi) in 15 seconds or less, not 40 kPa (5.8 psi) in 30 seconds as the IS manual says. Apparently there is some difference in the software.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-28-06 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-28-06, 02:35 AM
lisa86
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem and im in hawaii with the temp.. never droping below 80. the tire warning went off this morning on my way to work. i decide to deal with it til i finished. at the end of the day the tire light was still on. so i decide to put air ofcourse. i put 38psi for all four tires and still had the warning light on. wat should i did
Old 10-28-06, 06:08 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I apologize in advance if I could have answered this question myself by simply looking under the dash, but where is the reset button?
Old 10-28-06, 06:46 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Great information lobux. This is the key to your problem. Make sure you set your pressures to 35 psi in the front and 38 in the rear. Let us know if this fixes the issue!

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
From the factory service manual:

Code:
Tire size                 Specified Value kPa (kgf*cm2, psi)
                           Front            Rear
205/55R16 89W              240 (2.4, 35)  260 (2.6, 38)
225/45R17 91V
225/45R17 90W              240 (2.4, 35)
245/45R17 95W                             260 (2.6, 38)
225/45R17 95V               240 (2.4, 35)
245/45R17 95V                             260 (2.6, 38)
225/40R18 88Y               240 (2.4, 35) 
255/40R 18 95Y                            260 (2.6, 38)
So anyone telling you anything else is not checking the factory documentation, they are just guessing and blowing smoke up your leg. NOTE: the front and rear pressures are ALL the same, no matter what tires you have.
Old 10-28-06, 06:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Bichon
I apologize in advance if I could have answered this question myself by simply looking under the dash, but where is the reset button?
It's one of the features of the satellite button. The same one you use to select the AFS on/off, MAIN/secondary tire set, etc. Just below and to the left of the steering column.
Old 10-28-06, 07:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Great information lobux. This is the key to your problem. Make sure you set your pressures to 35 psi in the front and 38 in the rear. Let us know if this fixes the issue!
The sticker on my door jamb says 37 psi rear. Unless amended by a TSB, I usually consider the information on those stickers to be accurate for my particular car. mariabee has promised to come back and tell us what it says on her sticker, but I'll bet it is 35/37, and she has simply been underfilling her tires based on incorrect information from her dealer.
Old 10-28-06, 07:29 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's one of the features of the satellite button. The same one you use to select the AFS on/off, MAIN/secondary tire set, etc. Just below and to the left of the steering column.
Ah, I understand, you just set the indicator the position that would select the main set of tire sensor, and then hold it for more than three seconds. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-28-06, 07:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The sticker on my door jamb says 37 psi rear. Unless amended by a TSB, I usually consider the information on those stickers to be accurate for my particular car. mariabee has promised to come back and tell us what it says on her sticker, but I'll bet it is 35/37, and she has simply been underfilling her tires based on incorrect information from her dealer.
This made me think about it, and the chart in the FSM is wrong. 2.6 kgf/cm^2 is 37 (36.98) psi, not 38 psi. So the door sticker's 37 psi is correct (because I know the Japanese use kgf/cm^2 for everything.)

I've also seen this from time to time on torque specs. I always work from the Nm number. I never trust their conversions.
Old 10-28-06, 08:09 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, I understand, you just set the indicator the position that would select the main set of tire sensor, and then hold it for more than three seconds. Thanks for the info.
Yes, after you service the tires to the pressure indicated on the driver's side door jamb, with the engine switch in the ON position.
Old 10-28-06, 10:11 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To make all of this pressure setting easier I'd recommend investing in a portable air compressor. I bought a Coleman at Home Depot for $100 on sale, and it includes a nice tire chuck and gauge. I just spent 45 minutes checking and adjusting all three of our cars. It is far easier doing it in your garage/driveway with the tires cold, rather than searching out a place that will cost you 50 cents. Often they don't work right or are out of order.
Old 10-28-06, 12:41 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Evitzee
To make all of this pressure setting easier I'd recommend investing in a portable air compressor. I bought a Coleman at Home Depot for $100 on sale, and it includes a nice tire chuck and gauge.
That was my suggestion way back in the third post in this thread. No need to spend that much. I bought one of these http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog...A39C585AB7CF7B
for my dad about 10 years ago, and it's still working great.
Old 10-28-06, 05:56 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

hey evitzee...that picture in your sig is sweet! do you have a wallpaper size???

Quick Reply: Low Tire Warning