IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 03:45 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank goodness someone else is confirming this. I left mine at the dealer for 4 days while they tried to diagnose the noise. It's not very frequent and is sometimes worse than other times. It definitely sounds like some sort of "ratcheting" noice almost as if something turning is rubbing up against the engine cover or something metallic. Mine took a brief hiatus but came back the other day (10K currently). It started well before my 5K maintenace though. Very frustrating as it sounds like I'm starting a hooptie sometimes. Please if someone finds a solution to this post it. The dealer was able to hear it one time but not able to reproduce it. It seems to happen more often from a very cold start (usually after sitting in the garage over a weekend. And it ONLY happens on startup; never any other time. And it only happens once immediately upon startup. Keep bumping this thread until someone finds a reason for this as it sounds as if more people are experiencing this than I imagined.
Old 10-18-06, 01:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I'd bet a pretty sizeable amount of money on the hydraulic lifters - your description above is absolutely classic hydraulic lifter noise. the rocker arms are not mounted on a shaft of any kind, they're basically loose in the head and they pivot on the top of the hydraulic adjuster, so if there's any back draining at all, you're going to hear some clatter while they pump up. The "roller" rocker claim is because they have a needle bearing roller in the middle where the cam contacts the rocker instead of a simple hardened pad (as motorcycles have done for many years.) It's a damned shame they didn't just go with variable thickness buckets as they have with so many other Toyota engines. They NEVER make noise.

Which brings us back to the small number on the oil rating - 5w vs.10w. 5w will get to the top end faster than 10w on any given day.

Bichon - my closest dealer says the same thing - we're using 5w-30 period. They're ignoring the TSB. I won't have them change it again, I just took advantage of their 1 free change. I have noticed a mileage decrease over the same trip since my oil change. It's only 1 mpg, but it's still 1 less than before.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-26-06 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-18-06, 05:06 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

it didnt make the noise yesterday and it hasnt done it today (not yet anyway) either.
Old 10-19-06, 05:40 PM
TurkEclisp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does something like this too.. its doing it more often now. i was thinking that it might have something to do with the cooler weather. it last only a few seconds. sounds like something is hitting something. i may take mine to the dealer soon.. my window started squeeking too yesterday.
Old 10-25-06, 06:28 PM
TurkEclisp
Rookie

has anyone else had this problem and taken it to the dealer? what did they say?
Old 10-25-06, 09:30 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

I just started hearing this same noise this week. It is very hard to duplicate because it only does it once in a while. On mine it only does it right when the engine cranks for a few milliseconds and then goes away. Hopefully somebody can find out what this is...
Old 10-26-06, 05:54 AM
TurkEclisp
Rookie

im dropping mine off tonight an getting a loaner.. will post what they say. hopefully its just the oil type
Old 10-26-06, 10:46 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You guys are all aware the valvetrain uses hydraulic lash adjusters, right?

If they're draining down, they have to pump up (but they should not drain down.) If the oil is a little heavy it might take a moment longer than if it is lighter.

Lobux... I think you may be onto something here...

http://www.geocities.com/t115_2000/Adjusters.html

This coupled with the TSB on the 250 that calls for replacement of the lash adjusters... That TSB was for the 'Check Engine - VSC Light' problem on the 250. But, I remember once within 2 months of owning the car I picked it up from the tinter and when I started it up I got that check engine/VSC warning. It went away quickly but I've always remembered that. I know the TSB doesn't cover 350s (what I have) but the overall design of the engine is certainly very similar and it would stand to reason would suffer from the same design issues. I wonder if I should take it back in and mention this...
Old 10-28-06, 10:06 AM
TurkEclisp
Rookie

I picked up my car yesterday. They call it a ticking sound and everytime they said that i say I hear a metal sound hitting medal. They said that it was normal but then on the work order i just reviewed it said they couldnt duplicate it the issue. I also inquired about the TSB and oil type and they seemed to act like they didnt know. I even think he said that they used 10w-30. I am switching to 5w-20 like the TST says next time. Ironically this morning when I started the car it didnt make the noise, but it is warmer than it has been.
Old 11-29-06, 05:26 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My car started to make this noise two days in a row now. I'm using 5w-20 synthetic oil and it only make that noise on the first start of the day. I really don't think it because of the cold weather since I live in south florida and this morning I started the car at 10AM and it was pretty warm by then.
Old 01-04-07, 03:01 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

OKay guys I got some update on the problem. After I made that post on 11/29 I took my car to the dealership but they couldn't do anything about it because they couldn't replicate the noise. I found out the problem is because of low OIL level. I came to that conclusion because when I did my last oil change before I bring it to the dealership I only put 6 quarts in there. A week ago I started the car up after an oil change, the engine made some horrible metal hitting noise and disappear like 2 seconds after. The noise hasn't come back since then and it has been a week. So those of you who get that weird noise on the start up, check your oil level.
Old 01-04-07, 03:27 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you guys can add me to the list. It's been very intermittent but unmistakable when it happens. I have checked the oil level and it was right at the upper notch. I have a call into my service advisor and he's going to give me a call back in a few.

I'm not terribly worried about it cause the oil level is good and I'll take it in for them to have a look. If they can't find anything, then they certainly can't blame me for not finding anything either.
Old 01-04-07, 03:58 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

I put 6.5 quarts in there during the most recent oil change and the noise is gone, I use castro synthetic 5w-20.
Old 01-04-07, 07:39 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

ya i got the same noise from my car like after 3k miles. Its like a ticking sound. I might have to make an appointment also.
Old 01-04-07, 11:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by uthatch
I got you...I bet you're right then about the lifters. I'm suprised this motor doesn't have a hydraulic tensioner, but hey, I suppose Toyota knows best.

So this motor has three chains? One main from the crank to each bank, then one smaller chain in each head to operate the cams? Then the intake cams are hydraulicly timed right, but the exhaust cam timing does not alter? I'd like to see the parts diagrams of this motors, you know of any place online that has it? No particlular reason other than being a gearhead and being pretty much amazed at much how power this motor makes.
Here's the answer to your request:
Attached Thumbnails Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)-2gr-fse-valvetrain.gif  

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)