IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Saw a nice 2IS in the parking lot, but....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-06, 04:07 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saw a nice 2IS in the parking lot, but....

....it was parked squished between two other cars, right up front to the business, in a tiny parking space. Why would the new car owner who even remotely values his/her car place their car in such a situation?

I would never place my car in such a small space unless I would be there for no longer than 5 minutes. No wonder nice cars get door dings. Parking that close to other regular cars/trucks/vans pretty much means you're going to get hit sooner or later. I haven't been hit in nearly a year because I've done whatever I could to prevent it, no matter the inconvenience.

You already know that most people are either irresponsible or careless. You already know that it is nearly impossible to litigate or collect damages from the guilty person. You already know that most people consider the entire parking lot as public space (yes that includes your space) and any minor damages are not only acceptable but also expected....especially in a tight, limited parking space.

If you park your car in a small space and you get a nice clean door ding or scratch, you're not very smart and I would consider you partially responsible, it's partially your own fault. For not doing your part and using your head to protect your own property and depending on other people to watch out for you instead of the other way around as it should be.

So I know people have rights and we live in a civilised society but let's come back to reality. Trying to keep it real.

[/rant off]

Old 10-01-06, 04:12 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you know the other cars didn't come AFTER the IS was parked?
Old 10-01-06, 04:54 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
You already know that most people consider the entire parking lot as public space (yes that includes your space) and any minor damages are not only acceptable but also expected....especially in a tight, limited parking space.
But realize that plenty of IS owners are not car enthusiasts, consider those minor scratches and dings a normal part of car ownership, and don't sweat them.

Sometimes I envy those people. I'm so **** that I've actually parked at adjacent businesses with safer parking and walked down the highway to avoid lots with compact spaces, lots of loose shopping carts, or other hazards. Other times I've parked in crowded restaurant lots and worried all through dinner that someone was going to ding me.
Old 10-01-06, 05:05 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
But realize that plenty of IS owners are not car enthusiasts, consider those minor scratches and dings a normal part of car ownership, and don't sweat them.

Sometimes I envy those people. I'm so **** that I've actually parked at adjacent businesses with safer parking and walked down the highway to avoid lots with compact spaces, lots of loose shopping carts, or other hazards. Other times I've parked in crowded restaurant lots and worried all through dinner that someone was going to ding me.
LOL second that. The only problem i have is convincing my wife to walk from those 'adjacent businesses with safer parking'
Old 10-01-06, 05:24 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I agree with you 100% .....

I park in a parking garage at work and there is a new BMW 330i (black) that always parks on the slanted portion of the ramp and I often see big F-150's or other trucks jammed in right next to it. Ugh!! I go up to the top floor where it is flat and where other folks with nice cars park. A little further walk but who cares. I'd never park my car on a slope. Too often a jerk will come and park 'upstream' and let their door swing into your car.
Old 10-01-06, 05:25 PM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes is not even other cars causing the ding/dents/scrathes. Today I went to the grocery store with my daughter. We parked way out next to an island. As we were walking up to the store near the front, a family was pushing their cart out. The mom had two children in one of those large plastic buggies(way bigger than normal cart) that seat children and a few groceries. As we walked by she pushes the cart hard down the road between the cars and the cart takes a hard right turn directly into the backend of a car. She immediately runs to the cart and pulls it away(with her children) and says, "My bad!", then continues on to her car. I turn to my daughter and say, "That's exactly why I park my car so far away." She responds, "Yeah... I understand now."

I'm not saying that couldn't happen to mine also, but it's less likely. Anyway... reading this thread, I just thought of that story.
Old 10-01-06, 05:33 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

THis post got me thinking. Tell me what you think about this.

About 5 years ago when i lived in Maryland I was in downtown annapolis near Phillips for those who know where that is.

anyway this super sweet Viper parked sideways in two spots and paid both meters. I know because i walked up and checked them. However the cops still wrote him a ticket for illegal parking or something. Not sure what the ticket was because i didn't want to pull it from his windshield, but i'm sure he was p*ssed.

Anyway IMO they should have not given him a ticket for that. After all he paid both meters so the city got there money and he kept is car from door dings.
Old 10-01-06, 05:34 PM
doesun
Driver School Candidate

^shouldve left a note on the persons car with that ladys license plate
Old 10-01-06, 05:50 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by brel523
Sometimes is not even other cars causing the ding/dents/scrathes. Today I went to the grocery store with my daughter. We parked way out next to an island. As we were walking up to the store near the front, a family was pushing their cart out. The mom had two children in one of those large plastic buggies(way bigger than normal cart) that seat children and a few groceries. As we walked by she pushes the cart hard down the road between the cars and the cart takes a hard right turn directly into the backend of a car. She immediately runs to the cart and pulls it away(with her children) and says, "My bad!", then continues on to her car. I turn to my daughter and say, "That's exactly why I park my car so far away." She responds, "Yeah... I understand now."

I'm not saying that couldn't happen to mine also, but it's less likely. Anyway... reading this thread, I just thought of that story.
If I read your post correctly, the woman with the cart deliberately and forcefully shoved the cart and let it go (with two kids in it) and it smashed into the backend of a parked car. That is not only one of the most ignorant and careless things I've ever heard of someone doing, but with her kids in the cart too? If I had witnessed that, I would have followed her to her car, taken her license plate number and reported it not only to the manager of the store she just came out of (so the owner of the car she hit could be notified and hopefully sue her a$$ off) but also to the police as well for willfully endangering the lives of her own children.
Old 10-01-06, 06:01 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

[QUOTE=kensteele;2156576]....it was parked squished between two other cars, right up front to the business, in a tiny parking space. Why would the new car owner who even remotely values his/her car place their car in such a situation?

You called it. It is because they don't "even remotely value" their car. It is "just a car". They will drive it, mess it up and off it goes. Then they get another new one and the cycle starts all over. Sad, huh?
Old 10-01-06, 06:05 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
THis post got me thinking. Tell me what you think about this.

About 5 years ago when i lived in Maryland I was in downtown annapolis near Phillips for those who know where that is.

anyway this super sweet Viper parked sideways in two spots and paid both meters. I know because i walked up and checked them. However the cops still wrote him a ticket for illegal parking or something. Not sure what the ticket was because i didn't want to pull it from his windshield, but i'm sure he was p*ssed.

Anyway IMO they should have not given him a ticket for that. After all he paid both meters so the city got there money and he kept is car from door dings.
I think the Viper owner had every right to park that way as long as he paid to take up two spaces. I bet the cop was just envious of someone owning a lot nicer car than what he could afford. I would have disputed that ticket big time.
Old 10-01-06, 06:18 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
I bet the cop was just envious of someone owning a lot nicer car than what he could afford. I would have disputed that ticket big time.
Unfortunately the cop may not be the only jealous %!@# to come by. I've know several people who have had their car keyed after taking two spaces.
Old 10-01-06, 06:23 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
How do you know the other cars didn't come AFTER the IS was parked?
Most likely the cars DID come after he parked the 2IS. So I guess that's make the dents ok now?

I would never ever ever park my car where other idiots can come up to me and have to squeeze in just to get in the space next to me. Even if there were a row of 9 empty spots right up front, my car doesn't go into those space where you KNOW somebody else is going to drive up. It is still your fault if you park your car where someone else has to squeeze in after you later.

Of course this is IF you can help it. And he could. Since I saw 20 other opens spaces out far. At a minimum, I try to get an end spot where only one car has to park next to you. Then you pick and choose where your risk is less, maybe a tiny car or a nice new or expensive car where you would be guessing if the owner is responsible. It's all about minimizing your risk.

I have even left the facilities and went someone else because there was no suitable place. But I guess I can do that in wide-open kansas, i realize that' s not an option for some.

If I have passengers, I either drop them off upfront which they appreciate or I ask them if they mind, most understand.
Old 10-01-06, 06:29 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Bichon
I've know several people who have had their car keyed after taking two spaces.
Ya just can't win can ya
There's always someone ready to do damage, for whatever reason - lack of a brain (woman with cart), kids playing stick hockey right next to where you park (my own particular nightmare), or jealous s.o.b.'s with nothing better to do.
Old 10-01-06, 06:32 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
LOL second that. The only problem i have is convincing my wife to walk from those 'adjacent businesses with safer parking'
Do what I do... drop her at the entrance of whatever you're going, and then park.

Quick Reply: Saw a nice 2IS in the parking lot, but....