IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Taste of Lexus El Toro Marine Base, Irvine, CA

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 02:59 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taste of Lexus El Toro Marine Base, Irvine, CA

Just a few shots I took at today's event. Very nicely done with some great food that fit the luxury settings.

Was fun to take the same model as my own and thrash it around an autocross setup. Was very impressed with how the car handled. Actually was able to get the rear to slip out some on a long sweeper but you could feel it coming on and and was easily controlled. Came away appreciating my ride even more.

Was also surprised that Lexus had four (2 each) S550 Mercedes and BMW750is to test along with the Lexus LS460 and LS460L. I guarantee that the new LS460 will be a hot seller here in California. Smooth, quiet and with 380 horses and an 8 speed trannie it moves out smartly. I took two drives with one of their professional drivers who know how to get the most out of the car. Impressive.

Photo of my ride.......
Attached Thumbnails Taste of Lexus El Toro Marine Base, Irvine, CA-my-is250-1.jpg  

Last edited by Gtidan; 09-25-06 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 03:01 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Default More photos

At speed in a new LS460; hit just over 90 before he got on the brakes to turn...
Attached Thumbnails Taste of Lexus El Toro Marine Base, Irvine, CA-up-through-the-gears-1.jpg  

Last edited by Gtidan; 09-23-06 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 03:04 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Default And more

The mighty Mercedes S550 and BMW750i... both sweet rides
Attached Thumbnails Taste of Lexus El Toro Marine Base, Irvine, CA-mercedes-s550-and-bmw750i-test-cars-1.jpg  
Old 09-23-06, 03:06 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Default One more

Entrance to the 'fun zone'
Attached Thumbnails Taste of Lexus El Toro Marine Base, Irvine, CA-lexus-display-tents-1.jpg  
Old 09-23-06, 03:10 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Default And the last one

The GS ES and IS Autocross setup. The route was pretty long and not many tight turns and one very nice long sweeper where you could get some speed. Was able to just feel the rear come out but was easily controlled. I drove a 330i a year ago on the same pavement at El Toro and I thought the IS handled every bit as good and in fact it didn't understeer nearly as much as the Bimmer as I remember it...
Attached Thumbnails Taste of Lexus El Toro Marine Base, Irvine, CA-gs-es-and-is-auto-cross-track-1.jpg  

Last edited by Gtidan; 09-25-06 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 03:28 PM
flaunty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool pics.. looks like fun.
Old 09-23-06, 03:54 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
At speed in a new LS460 hit just over 90 before he tossed it into a turn..!!
Was the LS demo just stock? No Nav? and what color was the steering wheel?
Old 09-23-06, 04:25 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

those LS demos are pre-production models i think. did you see them demonstrate the LS parallel park itself? i thought that was the most amazing thing in the world hahah. wish i brought my camera...
Old 09-23-06, 04:48 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Julez
Was the LS demo just stock? No Nav? and what color was the steering wheel?
It was a pre-production model loaded with all the goodies including Nav (noticed this one did not but the other demo car had it, I took two rides in different cars) The steering wheel was like a gray marble material...not wood. At least I don't think it was.

They had several colors of LS460s on hand. Blue, Gold, and a Black one I believe. While they were pre-production models they looked completely finished off and were very plush inside.

Last edited by Gtidan; 09-23-06 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 04:58 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
those LS demos are pre-production models i think. did you see them demonstrate the LS parallel park itself? i thought that was the most amazing thing in the world hahah. wish i brought my camera...
Correct on the pre-production part. Sorry, did not see the parking demo in person. Did watch it on a TV set while enjoying lunch. They said they were going to demo it later in the day but I had to leave.

Fun event and strongly recommend attending if you have the chance. I've been to ones from BMW and Mercedes which are also fun. I would rate the Lexus and Mercedes about the same and the BMW much lower in terms of food and displays. BMW did have a autocross contest made up of teams and we drove 330is sedans. They also had professional drivers to take you on 'hot laps' like Mercedes and Lexus.
Old 09-23-06, 09:43 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

the steering wheel is probalby the dark gray bird's-eye maple...
Old 09-24-06, 04:09 PM
jjwalker
Driver

Gitan,

I signed up for the Taste of Lexus in NY. Just curious how much freedom do they give you with the cars?
Old 09-24-06, 04:28 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

it's a closed course with cones as you can see in one of the pics. you drive by yourself so you can really push the car as much or little as you want. of course that doesn't mean knock over all the cones, do burn outs and crash the car into the other cars. although you can push the car as much as you want, you'll be limited to the car in front of you if you catch up to them. that happened to me... i was having a blast the first half of the course until i caught up to the slow car in front of me. the rest of the course was quite boring...
Old 09-24-06, 11:06 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

the self parking demonstration on the LS was pretty cool.. but the only thing was that they showed the demonstration AFTER all the initial programming/set up of the self parking, so its quicker than the actual time it would take to parallel park the car... NONETHELESS, great event, i was just disappointed at the lack of competitor cars for the other models like last year
Old 09-25-06, 12:17 AM
ocdavid
Rookie

Originally Posted by cc16ue
the self parking demonstration on the LS was pretty cool.. but the only thing was that they showed the demonstration AFTER all the initial programming/set up of the self parking, so its quicker than the actual time it would take to parallel park the car... NONETHELESS, great event, i was just disappointed at the lack of competitor cars for the other models like last year
Here is a slideshow from Taste of Lexus in Irvine, CA showing the Self Park.
http://www.filmloop.com/cgi-bin/geti...flash=1&px=FL3

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus El Toro Marine Base, Irvine, CA