IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AC smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-07, 04:14 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldc
Ok tried a new 'brand' of gas, and the smell is still there.

First i thought the smell was just air from the tank as i often not have full tank. But the tank is now full and smell is still there.
I agree with the post above with the list of gas. I use chev 98 octane and i dont get the sulfur smell. It also depends on the refiniery they use in your area. Its the sulfur content in the gas that is giving off that smell.
Old 10-14-07, 09:52 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default shell v-Power racing

Anyone use shell v-power racing gas? aparently this is 10% ethanol.

Is it safe for our cars?
Old 10-15-07, 11:20 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
I just had all filters changed at my 15k, and still getting a strange chemical type smell when turning on my AC, anyone else notice this? Again, NOT a mildew smell, but a chemical/chlorine type smell. Anyone else?
I was JUST going to post about this. Glad I used the SEARCH.

I too have a harsh chemical smell that comes out of my vents after I start the car, when it has been sitting for a while. It dissipates after a few minutes of driving. Sounds similar to what you're describing, except that I hardly ever use the A/C, and I always have the air set to "external."

It's definitely not a mildew or sulfur smell. Anyone know what it is?

EDIT: I only have about 2600 miles on the car

Last edited by Recluse; 10-15-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 12:27 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Weird I have the same thing and it has just occured.

However this summer has been much more humid than the previous one. I think it is just time for me to change out my filter, I'll do that first....
Old 10-15-07, 01:50 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldc
Anyone use shell v-power racing gas? aparently this is 10% ethanol.

Is it safe for our cars?
Sorry dude but this has nothing to do with the thread.

I just dont understand why this smell should occur in the first place. I had my Integra for almost 7yrs just sold it and the AC doesnt smell at all!
Old 11-18-08, 03:27 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump from the dead, yeah did anyone get an answer for this? Im in texas and my AC is starting to smell. Like feet. Stinky feet. I hope i dont have to shut off the AC before i get home or where ever because thats dumb. I didnt buy a 40k car for it to do that. (yes, i sound noobish.)
Old 11-18-08, 05:51 PM
SPS
Rookie

That smell is mold. If you pull your cabin air filter, you will find black on it. You can go to a NAPA store ( or similar ) and buy a can of AC disinfectant. If you dig, you can find a good thread on this. There is a condensation drain tube that exits downward under your passenger side front wheel. Turn your steering wheel full counterclockwise to get better access. Run a wire up through it to make sure it is not clogged, then spray the disinfectant up there. I also removed the cabin filter and sprayed in there ( don't get the filter wet), and into the ducts. Its an alcohol based spray that kills the mold. You can get it baby powder scented, etc, so it smells OK. May have to do it more than once, but it works. Those "turn up the heat......" solutions didn't work for me. If this many people read/reply to the post, I think its a design problem. Heck, they could likely fix it just in software ----- if the AC is running, let the fan run for the next 10 minutes after the engine is shut down. The stuff is not cheap, so you may want to let the dealer do it.
Old 11-18-08, 09:22 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Thanks for the heads up, first im going to ask the dealer since its not my fault. Then if they want to charge ill just do the things you suggested.
Old 11-18-08, 10:43 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

oh my! i hope this doesnt happen with mine!
Old 11-20-08, 06:20 PM
francisco2
Driver

OH God that problem is happening to me now but only when I turn on the heat...I'm still figuring out a way to fix this....it doesn't go away...I can't stand it anymore
Old 11-20-08, 06:23 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Yeah i checked the cabin filter and it wasnt moldy, just dusty.
Old 11-21-08, 04:42 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
Yeah i checked the cabin filter and it wasnt moldy, just dusty.
I disagree with the other poster who said mold forms on the cabin filter. "Dirty sock syndrome" occurs when mold, mildew and other nasties start to grow on the evaporator core.
Old 11-21-08, 03:48 PM
xxluuser
Driver School Candidate

I'm here in Houston as well, and have the same problem, ugh. My car's at about 5,500 miles, and it smells like vinegar upon start up. I thought it was just mine until my friend told me she heard many Lexus owners had the same problem.
Old 11-21-08, 04:07 PM
SPS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bichon
I disagree with the other poster who said mold forms on the cabin filter. "Dirty sock syndrome" occurs when mold, mildew and other nasties start to grow on the evaporator core.
Nobody said mold forms on the filter. But if you have mold in your HVAC system, the filter will capture it.

Steve
Old 11-21-08, 04:14 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spoke to the service advisor for my other car which has the same problem about this and they said on new AC systems with climate control you have to leave the climate control system on all the time. That will take care of the problem because the system has a built in dehumidifier. If you manually shut off the auto climate control then you'll get this mildew problem again.

Quick Reply: AC smell