IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

must-have for DIY oil changers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 07:45 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by conekiller
Jacking up the car is completely unnecessary...ramps are dirt cheap and they're all you need to reach the filter element and oil pan.
Actually, I use ramps myself, but I still call it "jacking it up". Honestly, I don't even know HOW I could jack it up (with a jack) without using ramps first. Lexus really screwed the pooch on the jack points.
Old 09-02-06, 08:31 AM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of a valve. I have a question for those of you who are veteran diy oil changers--what tips do you have for minimizing the mess?

A couple of days ago my son wanted to change the oil on his 325i, so we bought Rhino ramps, a torque wrench, 7 quart oil pan, and another pan (about the size of an antifreeze bottle) with an indentation in the side panel to catch oil and drain it into an opening in the middle. It also had a cap on the top for pouring. The 7 quart catch pan was great for draining the oil but it was a real mess trying to pour it into containers. So I wound up dumping the oil into the other oil collector (the antifreeze size bottle) and then poured the oil into the Mobil 1 bottles. Lots of paper towels and newspaper.

I could tell that my 17 year old son was proud that he changed the oil by himself for the first time. My take was a little different; after spending $100 for tools/ramps, etc, and about an hour and a half figuring out the correct procedure and making somewhat of a mess, I wryly said to him "you know, we could also just take the car to Jiffy Lube".

Anyway for first time it wasn't too bad but I'd like to figure out a way to do it with less mess before I attempt this on my IS. Any suggestions?
Old 09-02-06, 08:51 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
I like the idea of a valve. I have a question for those of you who are veteran diy oil changers--what tips do you have for minimizing the mess?

A couple of days ago my son wanted to change the oil on his 325i, so we bought Rhino ramps, a torque wrench, 7 quart oil pan, and another pan (about the size of an antifreeze bottle) with an indentation in the side panel to catch oil and drain it into an opening in the middle. It also had a cap on the top for pouring. The 7 quart catch pan was great for draining the oil but it was a real mess trying to pour it into containers. So I wound up dumping the oil into the other oil collector (the antifreeze size bottle) and then poured the oil into the Mobil 1 bottles. Lots of paper towels and newspaper.

I could tell that my 17 year old son was proud that he changed the oil by himself for the first time. My take was a little different; after spending $100 for tools/ramps, etc, and about an hour and a half figuring out the correct procedure and making somewhat of a mess, I wryly said to him "you know, we could also just take the car to Jiffy Lube".

Anyway for first time it wasn't too bad but I'd like to figure out a way to do it with less mess before I attempt this on my IS. Any suggestions?
A first DIY job can be messy until you learn the precise places to put the drain tub, etc. I would recommend a larger capacity than 7 quarts. I use a 15 quart drain tub, and pouring the spent oil from that into a 5 gallon bucket for proper disposal couldn't be easier.

On some vehicles, replacing the oil filter will always be somewhat messy because of the location the engine designers choose to put the thing (the angle usually sucks too). The key here is to have a drain tub underneath that as well. The IS350 has the easiest filter replacement I've ever done.
Old 09-02-06, 09:16 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Line the drain pan with a 30 gallon trash or leaf bag.

Cleanup is much easier, since only a funnel needs an oil wipe, used to fill the gallon (milk)plastic jugs.

My self, I like the way the torque wrench assures me the drain bolt is tight. No question about it.

The oil drain valves have been sold since the fifties ... some folks are comfortable with them.

Last edited by Tammy; 09-02-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-02-06, 09:17 AM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conekiller
A first DIY job can be messy until you learn the precise places to put the drain tub, etc. I would recommend a larger capacity than 7 quarts. I use a 15 quart drain tub, and pouring the spent oil from that into a 5 gallon bucket for proper disposal couldn't be easier.

Thanks, assume you have some type of a lid on your five gallon bucket when your transporting the oil?
Old 09-02-06, 11:23 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Thanks, assume you have some type of a lid on your five gallon bucket when your transporting the oil?
Of course. plastic buckets w/lids can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot for around $5. Do the right thing and take it to your local oil recycling facility - most auto parts chain stores will take your old oil.

Buy a box of latex gloves while you're there.

Last edited by conekiller; 09-02-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-02-06, 11:41 AM
ericeash
Driver School Candidate

i thought about getting one of these http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product...8&s=automotive
Old 09-02-06, 12:12 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ericeash
i thought about getting one of these http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product...8&s=automotive
Extractors are a novel idea, however it doesn't change the fact that you're already underneath the car to replace the oil filter element, and the oil pan drain is about a foot behind that.

I'm also paranoid (perhaps undeservedly so) about extractors not picking up tiny particles that might have settled on the bottom of the oil pan. Not saying they're there or ever will be, but I'm under the car anyway so....