Sport package..how much firmer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 07:58 PM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport package..how much firmer.

Hey guys,

I will most likely order an IS350 in the next few months. I test drove an IS350/Lux package and was blown away by how much faster it is than the g35/sport package. I did however feel that the suspension was quite a bit softer on the IS. The dealer did not have an IS350/sport.

So:

How much tighter is the sport packages suspension? Is it to the point that it's punishing? I can't seem to find any roadholding numbers for the sport package. I saw an IS350 listed at .85 but I hope the sport package is better than that.

Thanks guys,

James

Last edited by tsitalon1; 07-09-06 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 08:49 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

its a .5" drop...barely noticeable visually or via driving. the car has insane body roll either way.

get whatever package pleases you on the interior, as if and when you feel you're car needs a suspension upgrade you'll do so.
Old 07-09-06, 08:59 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest difference that I felt was that the sport has a much 'choppier' (shocks damping is set very high IMO) ride. G35 has a much smoother ride.
Old 07-09-06, 09:07 PM
sashax415
Pole Position

Based on my 20 minute test drive in the luxury package (both as a driver and a passenger)...the sport package has quite a bit less body roll than the luxury package.

I noticed the body roll immediately on the lux... which reminded me of a minivan w/ all the backseats taken out. The sport package feels much firmer in turns but is also a bit rougher on uneven pavement. From my recollection, i also believe that there was more cabin noise in the sport...

If you are coming from a g35/sport, then the sport suspension would definitely be acceptable. I still don't think that the suspension is firm enough. However, i also believe that a set of eibachs and some stiffer sway bars would be perfect for "enthusiasts" who still want to maintain a very comfortable ride. (I am basing this on my experience w/ eibach on a maxima and an accord.)

Please keep in mind that our other cars are an evo with tein suspension, and a gti w/ coilovers set on full stiff for daily driving. So take it for what its worth.
Old 07-10-06, 02:37 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by uschardcor
its a .5" drop...barely noticeable visually or via driving. the car has insane body roll either way.

get whatever package pleases you on the interior, as if and when you feel you're car needs a suspension upgrade you'll do so.
Insane body roll? You've got to be kidding. For a 3500lb+ car, with the sport pkg, I've got very little body roll. In fact, it corners nearly as flat all the sports cars I've driven recently, which include a Miata and and S2000. There's a lot of weight to transition, but those are two completely different things.
Old 07-10-06, 04:16 AM
Belmont
Pole Position

I've definitely noticed body roll when pushing the car, but I wouldn't call it insane.

Compared to my friends M3, for example, it's a very noticeable difference.
Old 07-10-06, 05:45 AM
SeattLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Belmont
Compared to my friends M3, for example, it's a very noticeable difference.
I would agree - but not insane...
Old 07-10-06, 05:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by jezza
Insane body roll? You've got to be kidding. For a 3500lb+ car, with the sport pkg, I've got very little body roll. In fact, it corners nearly as flat all the sports cars I've driven recently, which include a Miata and and S2000. There's a lot of weight to transition, but those are two completely different things.
Agreed. Even with the lux package, I don't think body roll is unreasonable, nor is it the IS's biggest deficit in comparison with the 3 series. My biggest complaint is steering feel, which is a bit too light, transmits too little road feel, and every so often just feels wonky mid-turn.
Old 07-10-06, 06:27 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Agreed. Even with the lux package, I don't think body roll is unreasonable, nor is it the IS's biggest deficit in comparison with the 3 series. My biggest complaint is steering feel, which is a bit too light, transmits too little road feel, and every so often just feels wonky mid-turn.
Oddly enough, I don't find it that bad. Perhaps because the other cars, both roadsters and sedans, that I've driven recently all had electronic power steering. It's definitely a bit lighter than the others, but doesn't offer any less feel. Ah well, it gets rid of all the plumbing that goes along with hydraulic power steering at least
Old 07-10-06, 06:44 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. Handling characteristics aren't determined by bodyroll, as many cars rotate quite a bit when turning. My big issue is the same as you describe here, steering feel. I can live with it, but on my list of improvements/revisions, I'd offer a bit more weight to it (similar to that of the Acuras entry level RSX).
Old 07-10-06, 06:49 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Agree on all points.
Old 07-10-06, 07:07 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason a lot of ppl think these cars exhibit a lot of body roll, is that it intially
does, then after that point it doesnt get that much worse, to where some other cars
might slowy ease into the body roll.. I'm by no means saying these cars handle great
because they do not, but I think they handle decently for being a 3,600 lb sedan..
Old 07-10-06, 07:18 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback guys! Has anyone with a sport package regreted the sport package? What do you NOT get with the Sport package that you do get with the LUX? And why doesn't Lexus even list the Sport package on their "u build it" section?

JAmes
Old 07-10-06, 08:10 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Thanks for the feedback guys! Has anyone with a sport package regreted the sport package? What do you NOT get with the Sport package that you do get with the LUX? And why doesn't Lexus even list the Sport package on their "u build it" section?

JAmes
I kind of regret it, since I don't really drive the car too agressively often.. If I could go back
in time I might of special ordered an IS350 with the lux package and ML and then maybe just
lowered it later on..
Old 07-10-06, 08:30 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by tsitalon1

JAmes
You're looking in the wrong place. The Lexus site lists build allocations that dealers in your area typically end up with. That may or may not include various packages.

All the various options pkgs are listed in mind-bogglingly accute detail here:

http://lexus.com/models/is/price_options.html

Quick Reply: Sport package..how much firmer.