Aftermarket Sirius installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 06:19 AM
texan786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Sirius installation

Hi Guys.

With the continued delay of Sirius, can anyone please post any pics or give me a description of a clean aftermarket Sirius install? I have a CW 350 and would rather not get the factory XM kit, just prefer Sirius over XM. Lexus of Bellevue told me that the factory part for Sirius is on indefinite hold. Also, any car audio shops around Bellingham, WA onwards which you guys would recommend for Sirius installation? My biggest thing is not to have an outside antenna and about as clean of an inside install as possible. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-29-06, 08:20 AM
Aclarke
Driver

is Sirius ever going to be available?
Old 06-29-06, 10:09 AM
jc957
Rookie

Hey Texan,
I'm with you on that one. I've got the nav and have been waiting for sirius to finally come out. I got so sick of waiting that I went to the local circuit city and got the cheap sirius that looks like a black radar detector...just a bandaid on a broken leg...but it only cost $30 and while the antenna is on the outside...it really doesnt look too bad. Again...its short term but at least it will get me thru for now. I'll post some pics later on to show you that it is a pretty clean and easy install.
Old 06-29-06, 11:50 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Please do... I was interested in seeing how that particular Sirius radio would install in the car. Thanks!
Old 06-29-06, 12:59 PM
teracon
Driver

I am using an older Sirius Audiovox model SR05 (or something). I purchased a universal cigarette adapter (since the original is fried) and stuck it in the front plug. The unit itself is in the armrest. I ran the antenna under the seat, along the inside door rail and through the back seat only to have it stuck to the rear window (outside) with (2) small circular pieces of Velcro.
Old 06-29-06, 01:17 PM
Aclarke
Driver

you velcro'd the antenna to the trunk?

Cant you just lay the antenna on the rear deck?
Old 06-29-06, 01:27 PM
newguy81
Driver School Candidate

on the rear deck the signal tends to drop out a lot more especially around trees and other obstructions...my antenna is on my trunk lid and it is very small, actually it is the smallest satelite antenna i have seen yet
Old 06-29-06, 01:45 PM
texan786
Driver School Candidate

Can I get some pics please? that way I can show it to the installer to show what to do. thanks.
Old 06-29-06, 06:38 PM
jc957
Rookie

Hey Texan,
Sorry I didnt get a chance to get the pictures today...one of those crazy days. Anyways...I'll try to get some decent ones tomorow but I took a quick one in the garage with the cell phone...just for an idea. Be in touch tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Sirius installation-062506_17491.jpg  
Old 06-29-06, 08:07 PM
Aclarke
Driver

great install... how and where did you hide the wires????
Old 06-29-06, 09:04 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one of the seriusOne radios as well, cept I have it in my arm rest.

Antenna is on the front dash, just run the wire along the door sill and up the door (behind the plastic) and then stuff it carefully between the dash and window.

The other end goes under the seat then through the back of the arm rest. I stuffed the excess antenna wire in the front door sill cover.

Just a temporary solution until the real thing comes out. Nothing cut, modified or drilled in order to install. Can take it all out in less then 5 mins.

reception under the front window is hit and miss. Just make sure to get it as far forward and centered as possible. I usually cut out when there are large buidling or trees to the side of me. Still way better then listening to regular radio. radio reception is ****ty for me since I live and work around a lot of hills in the bay area.
Old 06-30-06, 05:46 AM
teracon
Driver

Originally Posted by Aclarke
you velcro'd the antenna to the trunk?

Cant you just lay the antenna on the rear deck?
I used two pieces of circular velcro and stuck it on the outside rear windshield next to the third brake light. I first had it inside, but due to the dark ceramic tint, I keep loosing the signal. I tried to set in on my trunk lid, but the lid became scratched.
Old 06-30-06, 08:35 AM
jc957
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aclarke
great install... how and where did you hide the wires????
It is really easy. Took about 10 to 15 minutes. When you set up the sirius, the mounting bracket fits perfectly over the point where the sun visor connects to the roof of the car. Then I just ran the wires over the top of the visor, down the edge of the window, and went on the top side as far as hiding it in the seals and trim. I literally just tucked it all in. Antenna is on the trunk. I just ran the wire thru the ski hole and we never use the armrest in the back seat. So the worst part about the install is the wire is visable in the trunk. Now that being said, I did have to buy an extension for the power cord at radio shack but the nice thing thing is that the end is smaller than the one from sirius and it fits perfectly in the center console...allows you to keep it closed all the time and has its own on/off switch if you are into that. Also..I just have the wires sitting on the inside top of the visor...so if you use your sun visor a lot...you will see the wires but I'm guessing it would be easy to hide or make them look neat.

I'm sure there is someone out there that is more imaginative than I am but I was looking just to look relatively clean and went with the understanding that this is only temp so I wanted to be able to remove it easily. Again, I'll get you guys some pictures later in the day. The wife has the digital camera with her at work so I'll get those later. Till then.
Old 06-30-06, 08:44 PM
jc957
Rookie

Ok...so here are a few pics. Sorry it took me a wihle to get them up. Also...from the last post...I inadvertanly lied. I didn't run the wires over the windows...I actually went via the floor route and tucked them in. So here are the pics I was telling you about. I guess I have to do them one at a time since the forum wont let me (or I dont know how to) load more at once.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Sirius installation-imgp2897_2.jpg  
Old 06-30-06, 08:46 PM
jc957
Rookie

inside the center.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Sirius installation-imgp2894.jpg  

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sirius installation