IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HKS Drop in filter is now out for the IS350/250

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 11:50 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Under the normal driving conditions, that difference has to be terribly minute.
Yeah, I agree, but for a few other reasons. The gains really will be dependent on the car. My logic is along the lines of the following: Hold your nose, and breathe through a straw. Take a few sprints, and repeat. In both scenarios, we'd have a fair restriction; the same goes for the cars intake system. You'll definately need more air in one scenario, but its arguably a task made more difficult for both. Overall, I second what you stated earlier- in the case of the IS, I'd have little reason to doubt that Toyota went through the lengths to strike a good balance.

Besides, the computer controls the air/fuel mixture and will optimize the amount of fuel going into the cylinder for the given air intake.
Yep, but fuel is a given. The more air it has to work with, the more efficiently its can optimize fuel injected, to run a lean condition for better gas mileage, emissions, and power. Hey, its why we have tuners, MAF and O2 sensors.
Old 06-09-06, 12:56 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Yeah, I agree, but for a few other reasons. The gains really will be dependent on the car. My logic is along the lines of the following: Hold your nose, and breathe through a straw. Take a few sprints, and repeat. In both scenarios, we'd have a fair restriction; the same goes for the cars intake system. You'll definately need more air in one scenario, but its arguably a task made more difficult for both. Overall, I second what you stated earlier- in the case of the IS, I'd have little reason to doubt that Toyota went through the lengths to strike a good balance.
I see the point you're trying to make but the engine doesn't get tired or build up lactic acid. You're also assuming that the size of the stock straw is too small, which we can't determine at this point.

Yep, but fuel is a given. The more air it has to work with, the more efficiently its can optimize fuel injected, to run a lean condition for better gas mileage, emissions, and power. Hey, its why we have tuners, MAF and O2 sensors.
Actually, fuel is not a given. Whether the cylinder is given too much/little air, the computer will compensate with the amount of gas injected into the cylinder. IE: if for whatever reason you have .25 cubic feet of air in the cylinder, the computer will inject x amount of gas which will be dependent on throttle position, rpm, etc., and the readings from the 02 sensors in the exhaust. If there is .26 cubic feet of air in the cylinder, all other things being equal, the computer will inject y amount of gas, which may be more or less given the other parameters.

Last edited by al503; 06-09-06 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 03:12 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

a more free flowing filter basically reduces some pumping losses the engine experiences while sucking in air (hence a lower idle sometimes), and also some more air is getting in at a faster rate so you gain some power, if the filter was restrictive enough the biggest gains will be in the highe rpm where consistant and higher air flow is needed
Old 06-09-06, 04:11 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always found, on other cars I have had, that KNN air filters provided a bit...not much, but some improvement in performance, mileage and sound....under full throttle. I have also had several intake systems that provided far more performance. No idea about HKS. Just don't expect the same result as an intake system.
Old 06-09-06, 04:53 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would probably buy a reusable filter like this just for the fact that I would (theoretically) never have to buy another filter ever again.

If I get any HP or MPG gains in the process, cool.
Old 06-09-06, 04:53 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
I see the point you're trying to make but the engine doesn't get tired or build up lactic acid.
Lol, its not that complicated. As the repitition for breath increases, your lungs will need oxygen quicker. Choke things off, and well... you have a problem. As the RPM rises, you will need more air- choke things off..blah blah..

You're also assuming that the size of the stock straw is too small, which we can't determine at this point.
I stated that I believe toyota went to lenghts to find a good balance. I was also considering a broader spectrum of vehicles as well, with regard to 4TehNguyen's comment.

in the case of the IS, I'd have little reason to doubt that Toyota went through the lengths to strike a good balance.

Actually, fuel is not a given.
Yes it is- a supply is stored in the fuel tank. Air on the other hand must be taken from the atmosphere (the more the better), hence why you match an appropriate amount of fuel (that you have primed for injection) to the estimated amount of air. One is a calculated injection based on the amount of another.
Old 06-09-06, 10:43 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Yes it is- a supply is stored in the fuel tank. Air on the other hand must be taken from the atmosphere (the more the better), hence why you match an appropriate amount of fuel (that you have primed for injection) to the estimated amount of air. One is a calculated injection based on the amount of another.
I think we're saying the same thing.