IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

10K mile service

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 07:33 PM
skorpio
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10K mile service

...so whats the cost of 10K mile service? Has anyone got that far?

regards,
Old 05-20-06, 07:56 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skorpio
...so whats the cost of 10K mile service? Has anyone got that far?

regards,
150 i think
Old 05-20-06, 11:33 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Just change the oil. Its a new car. 10k is nothing.
Old 05-20-06, 11:36 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Just change the oil. Its a new car. 10k is nothing.

HA tell that to the Lexus Maintence schedule... tighten this bolt tighten that bolt check this inspect that and then $1000 please... The dealers will not let you off easy. and then when you dont do those they'll prob loosen that bolt and let it break and go "I told you so" and then you end up paying more... Dealers are in the robbing business hahahaha Now why did i say all that?
Old 05-21-06, 12:58 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
HA tell that to the Lexus Maintence schedule... tighten this bolt tighten that bolt check this inspect that and then $1000 please... The dealers will not let you off easy. and then when you dont do those they'll prob loosen that bolt and let it break and go "I told you so" and then you end up paying more... Dealers are in the robbing business hahahaha Now why did i say all that?
Yeah thats why i NEVER go to the dealer for service. Only if its warrenty work I take it in.

Having 10k on a car is nothing. Only thing that really needs to be changed is the oil.
Old 05-21-06, 10:45 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vehicle maintenance is just like anything else in this world. it's all about risk. and risk means $$$$. some people are risk adverse like me and i buy the prepaid maintenance package and i only take my car to a lexus dealership and i never ever worry, from day to day, week after week, year after year because i know i'm taken care of. that's how i like to live my life. i have other concerns besides my car and i need my car to take care of those concerns. whatever i can do to bring that risk factor closer to zero, i'll do it (within reason). i have no idea how much the service cost, i don't even know what they perform; don't care. i just drop off the car....and then i pick it up.
Old 05-21-06, 10:51 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
vehicle maintenance is just like anything else in this world. it's all about risk. and risk means $$$$. some people are risk adverse like me and i buy the prepaid maintenance package and i only take my car to a lexus dealership and i never ever worry, from day to day, week after week, year after year because i know i'm taken care of. that's how i like to live my life. i have other concerns besides my car and i need my car to take care of those concerns. whatever i can do to bring that risk factor closer to zero, i'll do it (within reason). i have no idea how much the service cost, i don't even know what they perform; don't care. i just drop off the car....and then i pick it up.
I will tell you right now. Dealers LOVE people like you. They make the most with that thinking that you have. I simply would not drop my car off at a dealer and have them do whatever they want to do and give me a bill for a large amount. Stealerships are such a rip off and charge you to "inpect" something. You think they actually "inspect" it? NO!
Old 05-21-06, 11:18 AM
skorpio
Driver

150$ isnt that bad, Im asking cause ill be taking mine for 5k service on monday and its free. Will it void the warranty if youll change oil on your own and not go for scheduled service? I always work on my cars but never seen any other dealership bring so much attention to scheduled service. I almost felt that if I wont bring my car for scheduled service, the car will fall apart!

regards,
Old 05-21-06, 12:12 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I will tell you right now. Dealers LOVE people like you. They make the most with that thinking that you have. I simply would not drop my car off at a dealer and have them do whatever they want to do and give me a bill for a large amount. Stealerships are such a rip off and charge you to "inpect" something. You think they actually "inspect" it? NO!
Sorry I thought I had made it clear but I guess I didn't. I don't get a bill from the dealership anymore. Only you are paying from time to time. Mine's all paid for lol. No more surprises on regular maintenance.

Do you understand the concept of risk? Pay a little more, remove some of the risk....do you get that whole concept?
Old 05-21-06, 12:25 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Hey I dont remember being offer that maintence package... How much was it?
Old 05-21-06, 01:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Hey I dont remember being offer that maintence package... How much was it?
I don't remember but it's probably not too late to go back and purchase it. They added up what all the service to 50k would be, then discounted it, something like 20%. So there are a bunch of people that bring their car in day to day, week and week, and are paying more for service than I am...despite the fact that I paid it all upfront and financed it (added to loan). But since my loan will be paid in full in March, I will be the one laughing (at some).
Old 05-21-06, 01:16 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

They added up what all the service to 50k would be, then discounted it, something like 20%.
AH I see... I'll just make sure all my fluids are topped off before taking it in. Then I wont get charged $300 for windshield wiper fluid.
Old 05-21-06, 01:19 PM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Sorry I thought I had made it clear but I guess I didn't. I don't get a bill from the dealership anymore. Only you are paying from time to time. Mine's all paid for lol. No more surprises on regular maintenance.

Do you understand the concept of risk? Pay a little more, remove some of the risk....do you get that whole concept?
I completely understand. Which is why I specifically DON'T bring my car to a dealership, where 9 times out of 10, I get it back with more things broken than when I dropped it off.

Routine maintenance is just that, routine. A good set of tools and some experience and anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can service the car for 100k miles without issue. Because I'm doing the work myself, I KNOW it's done right.
Old 05-21-06, 01:32 PM
skorpio
Driver

Originally Posted by monkeyfarm
I completely understand. Which is why I specifically DON'T bring my car to a dealership, where 9 times out of 10, I get it back with more things broken than when I dropped it off.

Routine maintenance is just that, routine. A good set of tools and some experience and anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can service the car for 100k miles without issue. Because I'm doing the work myself, I KNOW it's done right.
Which brings my question again, can they deny in-warranty repair because you have not showed up for scheduled maintenance at the dealer? I also work on my cars but lexus is really hopped up on this scheduled maintenance thing. I know its money for them but damn!

regards, Bart.
Old 05-21-06, 02:12 PM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by skorpio
Which brings my question again, can they deny in-warranty repair because you have not showed up for scheduled maintenance at the dealer? I also work on my cars but lexus is really hopped up on this scheduled maintenance thing. I know its money for them but damn!

regards, Bart.
NO. They can't deny warranty coverage. No manufacturer can, and they all fall under the same guidelines. If they try to, you need to refer them to Magnussen-Moss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnussen-Moss_Act, http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124) and the Better Business Bureau. You are responsible for keeping receipts to show reasonable evidence that you've completed required maintenance work as scheduled (i.e. receipts for oil filters, oil, air filters, etc).

Last edited by monkeyfarm; 05-21-06 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 10K mile service