IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problems with rain sensing wipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 10:37 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evren
I also find that even with the sensitivity cranked all the way up they don't work very well.
How do you turn the sensitivity up?
Old 03-22-06, 12:07 AM
Kailua250
Driver

there is a twister on the windshield wiper stick with a + and a - on it and 4 positions.
My wipers have worked great. So good in fact that I have to leave the sensitivity turned down a notch.
Old 03-22-06, 12:48 AM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah same here. I love the auto wipers. Probably one the favorite things on the car right now.

In my last car I was constantly adjusting my wipers. Rain is very off and on here in nor cal and I was always having to adjust my intermittent setting as the rain went up and down in intensity.

I find that the auto wipers work very well. Especially when passing trucks that spray water all over.
Old 03-22-06, 06:15 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
yeah same here. I love the auto wipers. Probably one the favorite things on the car right now.

In my last car I was constantly adjusting my wipers. Rain is very off and on here in nor cal and I was always having to adjust my intermittent setting as the rain went up and down in intensity.

I find that the auto wipers work very well. Especially when passing trucks that spray water all over.
Interesting...as I can't stand having to adjust the wipers constantly depending on how heavy or light it rains in certain spots.

As for the rain-X, I've found that it works pretty well, but can also cause fogging. I'd possibly ut it on the rear window since there is no wiper, but otherwise I can do without it on the fronts.
Old 03-22-06, 10:43 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love them especially in the winter time in the slushy stuff coming off cars infront, it automatically adjusts itself to vehicle speed and quantity of spray depending on sensitivity.
Old 03-22-06, 11:22 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Interesting that the system works so poorly for some and great for others!
Old 03-22-06, 01:18 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just bought some aquapel...ill let you know how rainX compares.
Old 03-22-06, 11:32 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcreech
just bought some aquapel...ill let you know how rainX compares.

I love Aquapel, let us know if it changes the operation of the rain sensing wipers.
Old 03-28-06, 07:14 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was just me! I was told to remove the EZ Pass sensor off my RX400h. It seemed to help, but now the wipers are not always coming on again. The other night it was drizzling and I needed the EZ Pass. Well, you guessed it my wipers were not working great! Is there a fix?
Old 03-28-06, 10:19 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I thought it was just me! I was told to remove the EZ Pass sensor off my RX400h. It seemed to help, but now the wipers are not always coming on again. The other night it was drizzling and I needed the EZ Pass. Well, you guessed it my wipers were not working great! Is there a fix?

The Lexus tech I talked to said they (Lexus) is working on updated software/hardware to fix the problem. Yet for some the system works very well, very strange indeed.
Old 03-29-06, 06:52 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Mine work pretty well... Faster when it's raining harder, slower when the rain eases up or the car stops moving... It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

The one thing I would change is that sometimes it does not stay at the same speed, even though the rain conditions are still the same. But that doesn't bother me much.
Old 03-29-06, 08:30 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
I've always hated rain sensing wipers... I'll take speed variable intermitant manual style over rain sensing anyday...
Couldn't agree more. Mine seem to come on when I don't need them even with the sens. turned all the way down. I'm now just leaving them in the off position. Going to try RainX
Old 07-02-13, 11:04 PM
wgawriter
Driver School Candidate

The rain sensors on my 2011 ES350 have never worked properly.
Old 09-01-14, 07:00 AM
htbotdvr
Driver School Candidate

Default wiper

did my wipers in auto need to be adjusted after a battery change? the auto position goes crazy with water and some times not at all: sad:
Old 12-05-14, 06:34 PM
wesleyjeff
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue with my 2002 es300. I just got it but I can tell the previous owner used rainx on the glass. I wonder if that is my problem. When I touch the rain sensing wiper box on the windshield, it seems to jump start the wipers. Wondering what the solution is. I may clean my glass with alcohol to get rid of the rainX and see if that causes the feature to work properly. The box could be a little tighter up against the glass, so I'm wondering if that is an issue.

Quick Reply: Problems with rain sensing wipers