IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alarms/Remote Starters on the 2IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 10:42 AM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarms/Remote Starters on the 2IS

Since the 2IS comes equipped with the keyfob system, I'm just wondering how Alarms or even Remote starters would work.

WIll you have to carry around both the alarm/starter remote and the key fob? Or is there any company out there that has an all-in-one type of remote? Or would any alarm/starter interfere with the factory system?

I was just sitting here and this thought popped into my head.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-06, 11:17 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

the 2IS has a built in security system that is activated when the red light next to your nav/radio blinks.

remote start will be available this summer as an option at a cut throat price.

honestly it wouldn't have been difficult to just make the engine start when you touch the handle but there are security risks even toyota must look at.

the remote start however will be pretty expensive as they will give you a new fob with the remote start button and then reprogram your fob to your car. if anything the ability is already there and lexus will just make some practically free profit from those of you you go for this.

now....

if you really want an aftermarket remote start/security option. it will cost u a bit on install and labor but it probably can be done. however with the security feature that the FOB is i wouldn't go after any noisey tacky viper system or something and if remote start is that precious to u, you can go with the lexus option or wait till someon figures out something else
Old 03-19-06, 11:28 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have a remote start on the GS430. What we had to do was get an aftermarket alarm system, give up a remote (so the car basically has one of the proximity sensors built into it now, but wired somehow to not always take effect?), and we have to carry an extra remote for the starter. Kind of annoying, but this was done back in April '05 after the car had been out for ~1 month. I'm thinking that there are some better solutions out there for it now

So now, we're waiting for Carson Lexus to test the JDM Lexus remote start system on the USDM cars. Here's a picture of it in a thread, and there's more to read about it throughout the thread.

Link
Old 03-19-06, 12:47 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

interesting....Any clue if the USDM remote start option will include the LCD remote as pictured in the JDM setup?

Good to know that the 2IS will come with option for a factory remote start system in the future. I just wish I could afford the damn car. lol
Old 03-19-06, 01:12 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

IMO it's ridiculous that cars in this price range do not come with remote start standard, or at the very least as an option. There are Pontiacs that cost $20k that have this. Lexus really dropped the ball on this, as well as the satellite radio option.
Old 03-19-06, 05:39 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

I find it rediculous that Leather seats and Powered seats are an option for the Lexus, as well as HID's. I mean if you're paying 40k+ for a car, there are certain expectations when it comes to standard features. The IS300 came standard with HID's at least.
Old 03-19-06, 05:42 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by L-Tuner
I find it rediculous that Leather seats and Powered seats are an option for the Lexus, as well as HID's. I mean if you're paying 40k+ for a car, there are certain expectations when it comes to standard features. The IS300 came standard with HID's at least.
The HID's I agree with, but a lot of people don't want to pay the money to replace the bulbs (they're ~$200 a shot I believe?) or they want to cut corners and save some cash, and don't want the HID option if it doesn't really appeal to them.

The cloth & powered seats, yeah I do agree, but remember: this is Lexus's entry level car, not their flagship.
Old 03-19-06, 06:13 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheRupp
The HID's I agree with, but a lot of people don't want to pay the money to replace the bulbs (they're ~$200 a shot I believe?) or they want to cut corners and save some cash, and don't want the HID option if it doesn't really appeal to them.

The cloth & powered seats, yeah I do agree, but remember: this is Lexus's entry level car, not their flagship.
True about the seats. But their entry model is hella expensive. Damn I want that car.
Old 03-19-06, 07:23 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Am I missing something here? Leather & powered seats optional? What car we talking about?
Old 03-19-06, 07:35 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Am I missing something here? Leather & powered seats optional? What car we talking about?
The 2IS. It doesn't come with them standard.
Old 03-19-06, 07:36 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

The 2IS. It doesn't come with them standard.
Right... the IS250 RWD comes standard completely stripped down with manual-adjust cloth seats. I've never seen it before though.
Old 03-19-06, 07:42 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

Right... the IS250 RWD comes standard completely stripped down with manual-adjust cloth seats. I've never seen it before though.
I saw the cloth, manual powered seats. They look really ugly. You can see a giant bar at the bottom for the front-to-back seat adjustment. Doesn't look right at all.
Old 03-19-06, 08:19 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I saw the cloth, manual powered seats. They look really ugly. You can see a giant bar at the bottom for the front-to-back seat adjustment. Doesn't look right at all.
This is the first I'm hearing of this. Both the Lexus website and the sales brochure in my possession clearly indicate leather, powered seats as standard features! Cloth seats with an adjustment bar???
Old 03-19-06, 08:42 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

This is the first I'm hearing of this. Both the Lexus website and the sales brochure in my possession clearly indicate leather, powered seats as standard features! Cloth seats with an adjustment bar???
I dunno what to tell ya. I was at the dealership yesterday. I saw an IS250 RWD on the lot with the cloth interior.
Old 03-19-06, 09:52 PM
tdog09
Driver

I believe cloth is available, though not in the US....could be wrong though

Quick Reply: Alarms/Remote Starters on the 2IS