IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Does the IS350 stand a performing chance against the 335i?
yes
59.09%
no
40.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

IS350 vs. BMW's New 335i

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 11:11 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heffergm
I could care less how smooth it is. If you're interested in driving a performance vehicle that professes to get around corner quickly, smooth isn't a primary concern. You want control of gears. A CVT has none.
Gears can be easily emulated. VW/Audi has done this for years, and the GS450h is doing the same with its 6-speed ECVT.
Old 03-01-06, 11:14 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I've driven a CVT with simulated gears, and again, they're garbage.
Old 03-01-06, 11:32 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I've driven a CVT with simulated gears, and again, they're garbage.
Hmm can you elaborate on how it's inferior to the regular automatics? And which car with gear-emulating CVT did you drive?
Old 03-01-06, 12:14 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akhbhaat

I know I won't even think of buying the 335i if the base price of the sedan model exceeds 40k. You're talking 5 series, E-class, GS territory.
(edit) you won't be buying the 335i IMO

Last edited by keeeeez; 03-01-06 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-01-06, 02:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
I think people are also forgetting that the 3 series does have a stock 333 HP engine in it from the factory. I think a lot of people forget that the M3 is still a 3 series... hella over priced but still...

But they continue to miss the boat on the 330 model with HP. At this point, its well behind just about every car in this class as far as HP goes. Considering this is the model put up in this class. BMW has has what 4 years to put up G35 hp and 2+ years to put up TL HP. They respond 4 years later to the G35 with an engine with 45 less hp
Well, even with LESS power, the 3 has always held its own. Hell the LAST E46 with only 225hp could get in the high 5s in some magazines!

BMW horses are conservative, IMO, they may be less on paper but on the road more than hold their own.

REmember everyone, we on here might be into 0-60 and 1/4 mile times etc, but most want a entry level LUXURY car with some sport and some image.

If accleration times ran this class, we all would be driving Suburi STis or Mitsu MR EVOs!!!
Old 03-01-06, 02:27 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well, even with LESS power, the 3 has always held its own. Hell the LAST E46 with only 225hp could get in the high 5s in some magazines!

BMW horses are conservative, IMO, they may be less on paper but on the road more than hold their own.

REmember everyone, we on here might be into 0-60 and 1/4 mile times etc, but most want a entry level LUXURY car with some sport and some image.

If accleration times ran this class, we all would be driving Suburi STis or Mitsu MR EVOs!!!
I'm actually agreeing with Mike

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
but most want a entry level LUXURY car with some sport and some image.
I'll just add one thing to this statement. This is true, but also many have slightly different priorities. In that case it could be said most people in this class want a sports sedan with some luxury and some image. That difference in perspective or priorities could be the reason why one chooses an IS or BMW.
Old 03-01-06, 05:44 PM
Scotty99
Driver

200 lbs? Please - just stop. No offense, but you're really starting to look foolish.

The entire magnesium/aluminum N52B30 (3.0L) block (including necessary peripherals; all operating gear, camshafts, timing gear, and whatnot) currently used in the E90 only weighs 160 kg / 352 lbs. No idea what the N54 weighs, though it's said to be considerably lighter than the 4.0L V8 currently used in the 540i (which I believe is lighter than - or at least no heavier than - the old 210 kg M60B40 block, let alone the 221 kg M62B44). BMW Ag press release claims reduction of 70 kg from aforementioned 4.0L, but I'm a bit skeptical.

The all-aluminum construction of the N54 block should add around 8-10 kg to the block weight over the N52 (probably about in line with that of the aluminum M54B30, 170 kg), all of the turbo plumbing should add about the same, perhaps less. I figure no more than ~175 kg for the whole shebang.
Ahkbar,

I'm just going by what I remember reading about turbo kits and what the turbo system on the RX 7 weighed for instance. If the BMW system will not have an intercooler then it may be lighter.

Here is an excerpt from the below link

"One of the main engineering goals of the RX-7 was to stay close to the perfect 50/50 chassis balance. When they added the extra weight of a turbo system to the Turbo II model(180-200lbs), they needed to come up with a way to maintain the chassis weight balance as much as possible. Some of the methods they used include...

...They went to an Aluminum hood
...They moved the intercooler rearward to the top of the engine
...They used a heavier spare tire & jack"

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/2...uctions10.html
Old 03-02-06, 01:46 AM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scotty99
Let's not forget that the added weight of the turbo will throw off the BMW's coveted 50/50 weight distribution unless they decide to throw some sand bags in the trunk. With the weight distro not being perfect, the handling will suffer and one of their biggest positives goes out the window.

I really, REALLY hope your joking..........
Old 03-02-06, 03:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

You've obviously never driven a car with a CVT transmission. If you had, you wouldn't be so enthusiastic. It's the biggest piece of garbage imagineable, at least for someone professing even a moderate interest in driving a sports sedan.
please enlighten us what car with CVT did you drive? Hybrid CVT is not an real CVT in reality.
Old 03-02-06, 11:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm actually agreeing with Mike

I'll just add one thing to this statement. This is true, but also many have slightly different priorities. In that case it could be said most people in this class want a sports sedan with some luxury and some image. That difference in perspective or priorities could be the reason why one chooses an IS or BMW.
LOL , I agree, that is why we have so many different great choices in this segment. Before 2001, this segment pretty much German territory only, as the Japanese were shoving FWD trying to be sporty cars down our throats.

Glad they woke up But even the FWD TL is a damn good car
Old 03-04-06, 12:18 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by keeeeez
(edit) you won't be buying the 335i IMO
I suppose we'll see. There are so many conflicting reports (particularly regarding the sedan) that there's really no way of knowing until BMW itself makes an official announcement.

I'm looking to downsize to one car - my R230 SL500 isn't driven enough to justify the expense, and my E46 is six years old as of April. My biggest gripes with the IS350 (besides the dull way it drives) is the lack of manual transmission (which can be overlooked if the rest of the car makes up for it) and the asinine options packaging system Lexus uses. I mean, come on - I have to buy a $4000 package full of useless little trim pieces just to get HID? I can afford the expense, but I'd rather not pay for equipment I won't use or don't want. The IS350 isn't as cheap or value oriented as Lexus' marketing attempts make it out to be.

Though I'd probably ED it, the E90 just doesn't do enough for me that I'd want to drop well over $40k for one. The real decision for me is going to come down between the latest crop of new entry-lux sedans (E90, IS350, etc) or a slightly used E46 M3, C55, B6 S4, etc.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 03-04-06 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-04-06, 06:55 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Well, looks like BMW is trying to move the 335 upmarket with a base price of 42$K and figure reasonably equipped price of at least $46+K. Guess it's a good thing the 330i will still be around.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10753
Old 03-04-06, 07:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm looking to downsize to one car - my R230 SL500 isn't driven enough to justify the expense, and my E46 is six years old as of April. My biggest gripes with the IS350 (besides the dull way it drives) is the lack of manual transmission (which can be overlooked if the rest of the car makes up for it) and the asinine options packaging system Lexus uses. I mean, come on - I have to buy a $4000 package full of useless little trim pieces just to get HID? I can afford the expense, but I'd rather not pay for equipment I won't use or don't want. The IS350 isn't as cheap or value oriented as Lexus' marketing attempts make it out to be.
BMW pricing isnt that nice either they have the nerve to charge 2000 bux for leather + metallic paint on a near 40k car, sweet
Old 03-04-06, 09:11 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
BMW pricing isnt that nice either they have the nerve to charge 2000 bux for leather + metallic paint on a near 40k car, sweet
Yeah, but I want cloth or cloth/alcantara seats anyway.

Point is, I'd rather pick and choose individual options and features rather than buying predetermined "packages."
Old 04-05-06, 09:38 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

i was going to start a new thread, but i guess i'll just ask it here.

with all the talk about how great the bmws handles compared to its competitors, is this only in tough curvy driving? would the two cars be similar in handling for the casual average point a to point b driver?

Quick Reply: IS350 vs. BMW's New 335i