IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What color is your 2IS?
Tungsten Pearl
15.92%
Matador Red Mica
6.50%
Glacier Frost Mica
7.70%
Mystic Gold Metallic / Golden Almond Metallic
0.44%
Breakwater Blue Metallic
2.85%
Desert Sage Metallic
1.08%
Blue Onyx Pearl
3.81%
Crystal White
6.78%
Black Onyx (2006)
10.95%
Smoky Granite Mica
20.10%
I don't have a 2IS but I want to vote now that I've read this thread.
3.69%
Black Sapphire
3.01%
Obsidian
8.54%
Amber Pearl
0%
Starfire Pearl
8.10%
Truffle Mica
0.12%
Cerulean Blue Metallic
0%
Deep Sea Mica
0%
Ultrasonic Blue
0.12%
Fire Agate Pearl
0.12%
Nebula Gray Pearl
0.16%
Custom Paint
0%
Voters: 2493. You may not vote on this poll

What color is your second gen IS? (2009-2012 COLORS ADDED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 11:29 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by is2fiddy
Once you go black, you never go back!!!!!!!!!
Right there with ya, I think this is my 6th black car. I never learn! Love it when it's clean too much to be logical about what a pain in the arss it is to keep it that way!
Old 02-26-06, 06:35 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The production committee for the Eastern region..

met last Friday and the IS250 RWD and RWD Manuals are going to be very scarce in our region. The IS350 production order will be augmented instead. The colors on the IS350 will be concentrated on Black, Tungsten, and Smoky Granite as they are the most popular. White was excluded but would have come in fourth just as this poll suggests. There have been very few IS350's with the Cashmere interior but now they are going to require a special order to get Cashmere in the future months. The three top colors will get the Black interior. Their purpose is to simplify what is the most popular options and produce more of them at the expense of variety.
Our dealership representative requested that the HID's become a stand alone option as so many on Club Lexus have posted but it was outside of the control of the production committee.

Rock
Old 02-26-06, 08:29 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they told me yesterday that here in MA they arent sending any more manual trannys. sucks.

Originally Posted by Rockville
met last Friday and the IS250 RWD and RWD Manuals are going to be very scarce in our region. The IS350 production order will be augmented instead. The colors on the IS350 will be concentrated on Black, Tungsten, and Smoky Granite as they are the most popular. White was excluded but would have come in fourth just as this poll suggests. There have been very few IS350's with the Cashmere interior but now they are going to require a special order to get Cashmere in the future months. The three top colors will get the Black interior. Their purpose is to simplify what is the most popular options and produce more of them at the expense of variety.
Our dealership representative requested that the HID's become a stand alone option as so many on Club Lexus have posted but it was outside of the control of the production committee.

Rock
Old 02-27-06, 12:34 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this blows. my deal was made 3 weeks ago and the dealer couldnt find SGM or CW with the cashmere interior so I changed from my second choice of SGM [which the salesman said was the combo most likely to be available with cashmere] to the matador red cashmere combo. no luck at all. I HATE the black interior. my car has one now and its depressing. the sterling just doesnt do anything for me either but I may have to go tungsten/sterling just to get a car. the tungsten isnt as metallic as I would like. this sucks right now man.
Old 02-27-06, 07:57 PM
TurkEclisp
Rookie

Originally Posted by tjmaxwell
You may be right, but when I decide I want something, I can't wait 3+ months for it. That's just me though, maybe I'm in the minority. Blue's always been my favorite color, but I didn't want the car that had 200 miles on it, I wanted it to be brand new. Looking back, that probably doesn't make much sense since it's under warranty anyway for my full lease. That said though, I'm really happy with my color choice. Now I'm just wishing I could've afforded to get it completely decked out.

thats ok I got BWB I love it I was leaning towar glacier frost Mica until I saw BWB in person.
Old 02-27-06, 08:05 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

I am suprise to see so many black onyx...it goes to show people will choose black even if it is harder to maintain because it looks GOOD!
Old 02-27-06, 08:56 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by digital_b
this blows. my deal was made 3 weeks ago and the dealer couldnt find SGM or CW with the cashmere interior so I changed from my second choice of SGM [which the salesman said was the combo most likely to be available with cashmere] to the matador red cashmere combo. no luck at all. I HATE the black interior. my car has one now and its depressing. the sterling just doesnt do anything for me either but I may have to go tungsten/sterling just to get a car. the tungsten isnt as metallic as I would like. this sucks right now man.
Man I hope you are happy with what you end up with. All opinion, but you couldn't have paid me to get any color but black interior, I've tried to hard to keep lighter colored interiors clearn.
Old 02-27-06, 09:43 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

when I saw the black and blue cars at the dealership they were very unimpressive looking to me. with the surface details that the IS has its criminal to hide them with dark colors. yes I know the cashmere is 'hard' to keep clean but the looks far outweigh any cleaning issues. I mean come on, who isnt going to take care of their IS?
Old 02-27-06, 09:59 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

when I saw the black and blue cars at the dealership they were very unimpressive looking to me. with the surface details that the IS has its criminal to hide them with dark colors. yes I know the cashmere is 'hard' to keep clean but the looks far outweigh any cleaning issues. I mean come on, who isnt going to take care of their IS?
IMO cleaning dark smudges off the ligher colored leather and carpet on the interior is much more difficult than the exterior, even with a black exterior. Regarding dark colors masking details, I suppose that's possible, I notice every line in my B.Onyx, but a spend minutes looking at it everywhere I go. I find that in a world of a gazillion silver cars, the darker cars sometimes attract attention, and from there people tend to put in a little more focus. Still the great thing is no choice is wrong, just what you like!
Old 02-28-06, 06:18 AM
Langdell
Driver

Did you view these cars in the sun, or in the dead of Mass. winter? IMO, in sunlight, nothing quite brings out the gorgeous curves and undulations of the IS sheetmetal like a shiny black surface. (The blue probably would too, but I haven't had the good fortune to view a blue IS in person yet.) On the lighter-colored demo at my local dealer--I believe it was the fairly undesirable Mystic Gold Metallic, explaining why it was the only demo left on their lot--the surface details stood out less to me.

Cleaning issues aside, I love the look of a black interior and don't much care for tan ones. But that's me--each to his own, especially with something as personal as color preference. I feel for you with your frustration at getting your desired color combination. I hope it works out and that you are driving the IS that is most beautiful to you very soon!
Old 02-28-06, 07:30 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I'll agree with you guys that the IS definitely looks good in black. My last car (which I still have) is black on black. It's definitely a hot color on almost any car, but you have to keep it clean. My problem was that after 11 years, the hot Florida sun cooked right through the clear coat, so all the tops of the car have "sunburn".

I went with BWB with a cashmere interior so I could try something different for a change. The interior is a ***** to keep clean though, especially the mats.
Old 02-28-06, 08:25 AM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Just my opinion...black is THE color for the IS! It shows the aggressive lines better than any other color offered (except maybe Matador Red?) Yep, hard to maintain, but not that big a deal. As pointed out earlier in thread, California Duster it every day (takes about a minute) and every few days quick-detail it (takes maybe 3 minutes) it stays beautiful!

I first liked Tungsten, but noticed it didn't stand out tending to look like every other silver car going down the road. Liked SGM a lot, beautiful color with black interior. Then I saw a SGM sitting next to a black IS one day and it was all over. SGM looked great, but not as good as the black in direct comparison? (Looked like the "dirty black" people write about on this board.) Matador and Blue Onyx are great looking.

I finally went with Black-on-Black, Premium Pkg., Navigation, ISP wheels and tint. Coming in March. Have my Zaino, towels, California Duster and Z6 ready to go! Can't wait!
Old 02-28-06, 10:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LSUFanMan
Just my opinion...black is THE color for the IS!
I'm not here to start a war ( ), but black loses some definition of line and structure, especially at night. The IS has great curves and edges, which are lost in darker shades. Also, for a smaller sedan, it makes the IS look smaller that what it actually is.

I can tell you though that black is Classic. I actually would rather get a black or white car than any other color. However, the new IS has a young fresh attitude that can pull off colors such as Breakwater Blue and Glacier Frost Mica. Perhaps newer colors will be available by next year, as they discontinue Desert Sage and Mystic Gold (note that no one has claimed to have Mystic Gold in the poll),

Black will always be classic. The IS's new attitude though calls for extra attention...

Bring on the Barbie Pink and Racing Yellows!!!
Old 02-28-06, 10:42 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Perhaps newer colors will be available by next year, as they discontinue Desert Sage and Mystic Gold (note that no one has claimed to have Mystic Gold in the poll)
You gotta give props to the person out there somewhere who has the cojones to buy the 2IS in that Mystic Gold color!
Old 02-28-06, 12:00 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Foxberry
You gotta give props to the person out there somewhere who has the cojones to buy the 2IS in that Mystic Gold color!
I see that one brave soul has now broken the Mystic Gold barrier in the poll, now in a dead heat with Desert Sage at 1 each.

Quick Reply: What color is your second gen IS? (2009-2012 COLORS ADDED)