IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav System - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 08:17 PM
mike714
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you interact with the nav screen while driving at all while driving? I know you can't program a destination, but how about panning around to look at the road ahead?
Old 03-20-06, 08:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike714
Can you interact with the nav screen while driving at all while driving? I know you can't program a destination, but how about panning around to look at the road ahead?
You can touch any part of the map and it will focus on that area, while maintaining your route guidance.

You can also hack the system to enable all functions of the nav system while in motion. Check out previous posts...
Old 03-20-06, 08:31 PM
mike714
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You can touch any part of the map and it will focus on that area, while maintaining your route guidance.

You can also hack the system to enable all functions of the nav system while in motion. Check out previous posts...
Thanks. Yeah I know about the hack to open it all up. I was just wondering how functional it was stock. I'd prefer not to cut any wires on a brand new car if I could avoid it.
Old 03-20-06, 08:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Yeah I know about the hack to open it all up. I was just wondering how functional it was stock. I'd prefer not to cut any wires on a brand new car if I could avoid it.
It was actually pretty easy; it wasn't as bad as expected (with help from AgBlue who did it a couple of weeks before). If you can find someone that did it before, it'll take you less than an hour without rushing. No one can tell that I hacked into it; people that have riden with me think that the DVD player and functions while moving are all stock.

I understand if you don't want to cut into any wires yourself, and that's understandable. Believe me, I was sweating it a lot until it was completely done. But if you want to get the most out of your nav system, hacking it helps. Just make sure you stay safe with it.
Old 03-20-06, 10:22 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I personally will never purchase a new car without a NAV option again. After my first expierence with a navigation system with my dads LS430 back in 2001 I knew my next car had to have that technology... Enter my current IS350 with NAV. I absolutly love the option and use it often enough. I've used many different systems. Acura, Mercedes, BMW, Infinity and Lexus and I personally like the lexus interface the best. One thing I did like about Acura and Infinity navigation is the ability to enter in a phone number as a destination instead of a street address. The Lexus sysems have be best voice guidance and the most user friendly interface IMO.
Old 03-21-06, 04:28 AM
jp82729
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramon
One thing I did like about Acura and Infinity navigation is the ability to enter in a phone number as a destination instead of a street address. IMO.
The Lexus nav. can do destination by phone # as well. Go to page 2 on your Destination screen.
Old 03-21-06, 08:12 AM
Morrissey
Driver

You guys think I should have my dealership assume my lease four months into my contract and get another IS350, but this time with Nav?
Old 03-21-06, 09:03 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jp82729
The Lexus nav. can do destination by phone # as well. Go to page 2 on your Destination screen.
Thanks! Has Lexus always had that feature??? Would it be available on my dads 01 LS430? Guess maybe I SHOULD start reading the manual!
Old 03-21-06, 09:34 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The hack to open up the nav functions while the car is in motion do NOT require cutting wires.. Just click on Menu, Volume, then hit the top left corner of the nav screen, then the bottom left corner of the nav screen, then hit the top left corner of the nav screen, then the bottom left corner of the nav screen, then you'll see a new menu. Hold the override button for 5 or so seconds (you'll hear a beep). Then hit the "back button" on the top right and you are ready to go!

The NAV is great, I would not have purchased the car without it. I would have purchased an M3 if the 350 NAV system wasn't available. NAV system being the combination of navigation, rear view camera, easier to use (while driving) controls, among others.
Old 03-21-06, 09:38 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
The hack to open up the nav functions while the car is in motion do NOT require cutting wires.. Just click on Menu, Volume, then hit the top left corner of the nav screen, then the bottom left corner of the nav screen, then hit the top left corner of the nav screen, then the bottom left corner of the nav screen, then you'll see a new menu. Hold the override button for 5 or so seconds (you'll hear a beep). Then hit the "back button" on the top right and you are ready to go!

The NAV is great, I would not have purchased the car without it. I would have purchased an M3 if the 350 NAV system wasn't available. NAV system being the combination of navigation, rear view camera, easier to use (while driving) controls, among others.
I'm seriously considering returning my base IS350 for one with Nav. I've been speaking with my salesman and we're going to go over the numbers today at lunch. If he can get me $2K off MSRP it would almost be a wash for me. I might have to pay a few hundred bucks out of my pocket and the lease payments might be higher, but I think it would be worth getting the Nav.
Old 03-21-06, 09:39 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! Has Lexus always had that feature??? Would it be available on my dads 01 LS430? Guess maybe I SHOULD start reading the manual!
Holy Canoli! I had no idea! Just tried it and it worked!
Old 03-21-06, 10:51 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

I'm glad I got mine with Nav. I've been to NYC a few times, and the nav is great there.
I also find it useful in CT where I live, If I'm stuck in a traffic jam I can just take an exit, and have the nav guide me home through towns I don't know.
I also like the way it looks, and the way it allows control of features (audio, AC) via the scren.
But the cherry on top is the backup camera that comes with it!

I got mine without ML to keep cost down, by the way.
Old 03-22-06, 10:29 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I'm seriously considering returning my base IS350 for one with Nav. I've been speaking with my salesman and we're going to go over the numbers today at lunch. If he can get me $2K off MSRP it would almost be a wash for me. I might have to pay a few hundred bucks out of my pocket and the lease payments might be higher, but I think it would be worth getting the Nav.
Morrissey, I say go for it you won't regret doing it especially if you get ML with it. You will have voice command for audio, NAV, phone and climate control, back up camera, touch screen control,...I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but it's totally worth it IMHO.
Old 03-23-06, 04:18 AM
jp82729
Rookie

No, an '01 LS won't have this feature. It's only on the 4th and 5th gen. nav systems.
Old 03-23-06, 09:24 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Morrissey, I say go for it you won't regret doing it especially if you get ML with it. You will have voice command for audio, NAV, phone and climate control, back up camera, touch screen control,...I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but it's totally worth it IMHO.
Yeah I'm sure I won't regret it, but I don't think I can do it just yet. I went to Kuni Lexus and my salesman tried to help me out, but the problem is I've had the car for 5 months and I've taken the first initial depreciation hit on the lease. So they would first have to buy my lease out, then offer me a new lease on an IS350 with the luxury package (if I'm gonna do this I'm not gonna settle for just nav, but get the whole package). I'd have to put down $3K just to make it a wash. I don't want to put that kind of money down since I already traded my old car in and put down $2k in the first place.

My only option is to keep my current IS350 for another year or two then either try it again with the dealership or have someone takeover my lease. It's a shame...I wish I got that lux package IS350 in the first place

Quick Reply: Nav System - Worth it?